Cruising and sailing in southern CA - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US West Coast
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-18-2014
josrulz's Avatar
Unpaid Intern
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 989
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
josrulz is on a distinguished road
Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Hi all,
I'm looking for anyone who sails near San Diego to chime in. I've been an east coast sailor my whole life and grew up cruising (and still do) the Chesapeake Bay. I know there aren't many places like it and that Southern California is nothing like the Bay. However, there are a lot of sailors in San Diego, and I was wondering if there is any cruising there. Is it only daysailing and racing? What's it really like to own a boat in that area?

I realize it's different, but at least there IS sailing (compared to much of the US), so I'm curious to know about the reality of what it's like.

I saw another thread on this from a few years ago, but that was specifically about destinations. That's part of my question, but also want to understand the bigger picture of what the area has to offer to sailors/cruisers.
Thanks!
J
__________________
1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 01-19-2014
josrulz's Avatar
Unpaid Intern
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 989
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
josrulz is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Anyone? Anyone?
__________________
1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 01-19-2014
svHyLyte's Avatar
Old as Dirt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,545
Thanks: 11
Thanked 83 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 6
svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Anyone? Anyone?
Jos--

In San Diego there is day sailing on the Bay and only limited near term cruising opportunities, south perhaps as far as Ensenada, northerly along the coast perhaps as far as Dana Point or Newport and northwesterly to Catalina tho' that is a fairly long haul. Most of the activity in SD is day sailing and/or inside or outside racing. It is much different than your home territory. For more, click over to ActiveCaptain.com, sign up (for free) and you can find quite a bit of information on the interactive charts of the area.

FWIW...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 01-20-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Correct typo's
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 01-20-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 9
MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Pretty much agree with svHyLite.

There are lots of sailboats in San Diego and lots of sailing going on.
On San Diego Bay and out past Pt Loma into the open ocean.
Winds are generally light, 15 knots is usally a lot of wind here, but of course
it does higher on occasion.

There are few places to anchor for the night or a weekend in the bay and you can also run up to Mission Bay and anchor there.

San Clemente Island is 60+ miles from San Diego, controlled by the Navy so the anchorages are shut down from time to time. Seems to be more frequently these days.

Santa Catalina is a bit further.

Ensenada to the south provides the first protected anchorage as well as as marinas to check into if desired - ~60 miles south of the border.

So weekend trips are limited.

But active racing community, beer can racing on Wed in season. And the weather is good year round.

Marina space has opened up the past few years. So getting a slip is not the issue it was a few years ago. I think all the marinas have open slips in most sizes. But slip rates have not come down.

Regards
Marc
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 01-20-2014
josrulz's Avatar
Unpaid Intern
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 989
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
josrulz is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

MarcHall and svHyLyte, thanks for the thoughts and information. It's just something that's recently come up, though not at all concrete. It could be a great opportunity, but the differences in the sailing area are tough for us. We currently live very close to the water on the Chesapeake Bay here, and our boat is at a neighborhood dock up the road. We just walk over and there it is. As I'm sure you know, there are thousands of miles of shoreline with nooks and crannies everywhere in which to anchor. It's hard to beat.

There are many counter points--longer in sailing season, etc., but still very different from what we're used to.

No idea what we'll do, but we welcome the information from those who are in the know. Thanks!
-J
__________________
1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 01-20-2014
svHyLyte's Avatar
Old as Dirt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,545
Thanks: 11
Thanked 83 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 6
svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
MarcHall and svHyLyte, thanks for the thoughts and information. It's just something that's recently come up, though not at all concrete. It could be a great opportunity, but the differences in the sailing area are tough for us. We currently live very close to the water on the Chesapeake Bay here, and our boat is at a neighborhood dock up the road. We just walk over and there it is. As I'm sure you know, there are thousands of miles of shoreline with nooks and crannies everywhere in which to anchor. It's hard to beat.

There are many counter points--longer in sailing season, etc., but still very different from what we're used to.

No idea what we'll do, but we welcome the information from those who are in the know. Thanks!
-J
Jos--Think very carefully about whether you want to give up your home to relocate to the Peoples Republik of California. Not only will you be giving up a great sailing venue. I am (was) a California native (my family even has a street named in one of my fore-bearer's honor in San Francisco). Never-the-less, leaving California in 1992, although difficult, was, in hind sight, one of the best things we ever did. Many of our friends there declared we'd regret the move at the time, and for awhile we did. Now, however, virtually all of them say they wish they had had the courage to pack up their homes, boats et al and do the same. Think about it.

FWIW...
jimgo likes this.
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 01-21-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add amendment
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 01-21-2014
josrulz's Avatar
Unpaid Intern
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 989
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
josrulz is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Thanks svHyLyte, I will say that under no circumstances are we selling our current home in MD, at least for the foreseeable future. Our intent would be to rent our home, and if we decide to come back, well then we can come back. Still, we haven't even decided to go--just thinking about it a bit.

Thanks again for the insights.
-J
__________________
1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 01-21-2014
svHyLyte's Avatar
Old as Dirt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,545
Thanks: 11
Thanked 83 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 6
svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Thanks svHyLyte, I will say that under no circumstances are we selling our current home in MD, at least for the foreseeable future. Our intent would be to rent our home, and if we decide to come back, well then we can come back. Still, we haven't even decided to go--just thinking about it a bit.

Thanks again for the insights.
-J
Jos--

If you're pondering a move, consider southwest Florida as an alternative to SD. Your Sabre would be perfect here and getting back to MD would be an easy, even enjoyable, trip if you chose to "rebound". (Actually, some friends of ours make the round trip from the Chesapeake to Florida/the Bahamas and back every year!)

FWIW...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 01-22-2014
josrulz's Avatar
Unpaid Intern
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 989
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
josrulz is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Jos--

If you're pondering a move, consider southwest Florida as an alternative to SD. Your Sabre would be perfect here and getting back to MD would be an easy, even enjoyable, trip if you chose to "rebound". (Actually, some friends of ours make the round trip from the Chesapeake to Florida/the Bahamas and back every year!)

FWIW...
Thanks svHyLyte. We frequent FL (my wife is from there) and like to visit, but in this case, the proposed move would be for work. We're pretty happy where we are otherwise, but the benefits as a career move could be significant. So when thinking of it from the perspective of, "hey we might have to move and at least it's coastal and there's sailing," SD doesn't sound too bad. There are many places I wouldn't even consider, whereas SD still has a lot to offer. It's just different from what we have here, and my concern is that we'd effectively be giving up sailing for the most part because it's just SO expensive to own and slip a boat there. Plus, there wouldn't really be any cruising (except longer trips to Mexico, etc.). Giving up sailing is not on the agenda.
__________________
1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 01-22-2014
svHyLyte's Avatar
Old as Dirt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,545
Thanks: 11
Thanked 83 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 6
svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Thanks svHyLyte. We frequent FL (my wife is from there) and like to visit, but in this case, the proposed move would be for work. We're pretty happy where we are otherwise, but the benefits as a career move could be significant. So when thinking of it from the perspective of, "hey we might have to move and at least it's coastal and there's sailing," SD doesn't sound too bad. There are many places I wouldn't even consider, whereas SD still has a lot to offer. It's just different from what we have here, and my concern is that we'd effectively be giving up sailing for the most part because it's just SO expensive to own and slip a boat there. Plus, there wouldn't really be any cruising (except longer trips to Mexico, etc.). Giving up sailing is not on the agenda.
Ah. I see. If a re-lo will further your career/profession that could be compelling although ensure you accurately assess the costs/benefits. A "big raise" to re-lo to SoCal may prove not to be when you actually take into account the cost of living, taxes, et al, to say nothing of qualityy of life. N'any case, the sailing in SD can be a lot of fun and one alternative there is joining a sailing club or fractional ownership program (i.e. yacht time-share) as an alternative to owning your own boat. If we were still there, that's something I would seriously consider. In re: cruising, forget Mexico until such time as the Mexican Government gets its act together with regard to visiting yachts. Between the government there and the other issues, we wouldn't consider going there.

N'any case, Good Luck!
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone else sailing in southern Norway this summer? annnim Northern Europe 11 06-08-2012 08:04 AM
Southern Boy lookin' for Southern Waters. milemarkerzero Introduce Yourself 2 12-18-2011 07:19 PM
Southern MD sailing Association, any input? zz4gta General Discussion (sailing related) 4 05-11-2009 10:08 AM
Recommendations for Cruising the Southern Chesapeake ttk104 Chesapeake Bay 20 12-19-2008 03:26 PM
Danger...alert To All Sailing In Southern Europe Giulietta Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 32 03-13-2007 06:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012