Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US West Coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009
Offshore Dreamer

OffshoreDreamer is on a distinguished road
Planning for San Francisco to Channel Islands

My wife and I are planning to sail from San Francisco to the Channel Islands and back this coming July on our Pearson 365 ketch. Any suggestions on route planning, pre-trip maintenance, ports of call, items to bring along, etc. would be welcome.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Having done this trip, and farther both ways. Besides regular upkeep on the boat. My only concern would be radar & AIS. There is nothing worse than a FOG HORN bearing down on you, and you have no idea where the freighter is.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2009
Offshore Dreamer

OffshoreDreamer is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the post back. I'm all set on radar but shopping for AIS. I've posted another thread to ask about A vs. B at AIS A or B?

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
Get a copy of Brian Fagan's Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California.
Old 02-13-2010

ahughes5 is on a distinguished road
sounds like a fun trip!
i have never sailed before, but if you need free labor I can offer you a hand..
anyway good luck!

-anthony
Old 03-12-2010

swanfrogg is on a distinguished road
Hmmm some of you seem to know Northern Washington. I am looking to purchase a sailboat in Annacortes. I live in New York. I am toying with the possibility to leave the boat for a couple of seasons in Seattle area and go cruising out there before trucking the boat back to Long Island.
could someone recommend a mooring location - affordable - since the boat will be un-used for 40 days at a time.
Old 03-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You'd really be better off starting your own thread on this.. As for mooring locations, it really depends a lot on what boat you have. Since you don't have the boat yet, the answers won't be very specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanfrogg View Post
Hmmm some of you seem to know Northern Washington. I am looking to purchase a sailboat in Annacortes. I live in New York. I am toying with the possibility to leave the boat for a couple of seasons in Seattle area and go cruising out there before trucking the boat back to Long Island.
could someone recommend a mooring location - affordable - since the boat will be un-used for 40 days at a time.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you are going to have a great trip; good time to do it. Expect light winds during mid-summer but be ready for the occasional clear air gale. It's important to keep a careful check of the weather reports and weather-fax forecast so you know what is ahead of you. There is a weather fax device that hooks up to a laptop so you can download the data; I have the model and I will lookup/post here. You can buy it at Ham Radio Outlet in Oakland for ~100 bucks or so.

There are lots of places to stop along the way; I'm sure more than I can think of to post here. Here are a few thoughts:

Half Moon Bay - Great first day trip place to stop in; be mindful of the entrance channel between the north and south reef

Santa Cruz - you can either anchor out and dinghy over to the wharf or go in to the marina south of the lighthouse. Don't go in to the marina if there is swell from the south; breakers can form in the channel. This usually only happens in the winter.

Capitola - I believe they have a public mooring field

Monterey - Another great place to stop and check out sights, food, aquarium. They have had problems with sea lions boarding moored boats; so I would request a slip if you see any sea lions in the marina.

Morro Bay - Nice place to stop in before heading south of Pt. Conception. Great place to go kayaking; rentals available if you are not taking your own.

Make sure you have a good weather window for rounding Pt. Conception; particularly when sailing north. Many people round it either in the night when the wind is down (motor-sail) or wait for a calm day. It is sort of like "the slot" on SF Bay; except with bigger winds and seas.
Old 04-03-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffshoreDreamer View Post
My wife and I are planning to sail from San Francisco to the Channel Islands and back this coming July on our Pearson 365 ketch. Any suggestions on route planning, pre-trip maintenance, ports of call, items to bring along, etc. would be welcome.
Be sure to have your diver clean the bottom before you go.
Old 04-05-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
On the route between Monteray and Morro Bay, one can tuck in behind the bluff's at San Simeon although that anchorage can be a little rolly at times. If you choose to stop at Morro Bay, be very cautious of the entrance and contact the Harbor Master or Coast Guard Station Morro Bay before attempting to enter for word on conditions. The break at the channel entrance south of the Rock can really be spectacular and one cannot tell how bad it is from sea (we lived there for a few years while I was in graduate school). In no case attept to enter on an outbound tide!

The anchorage at Pt. San Luis (near Avila Beach) is very protected and there is a great restaurant on the Pier (once known as the Old Port Inn). It's a nice stop to wait for a weather window to pass Pt. Conception, which should be give a wide berth.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.