SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   US West Coast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-west-coast/)
-   -   San Diego to Redondo Beach (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-west-coast/67331-san-diego-redondo-beach.html)

MIdreaming 08-14-2010 05:17 PM

San Diego to Redondo Beach

Hi, we're new to sailnet and to sailing. We purchased a boat in SD and need to sail it up to Redondo Beach. Has anyone done this route before, and if so, can you tell me about it. We were hoping to overnight as well, so guest marinas or mooring would be great info.

Thanks!

JiffyLube 08-14-2010 09:02 PM

You can stop at a marina everyday (sometimes two if you wanted), and it will be a motor-sail all the way up. Research all the marinas up the coast, and you'll be able to find the ones you can anchor, moor, or get a slip at...and their rates.

windward54 08-15-2010 09:49 AM

Done it a couple of times and a lot depends on how many hours you want to do in a day and the size of the boat. Be ready to motor uphill most of the way though.

If you can get an early start, you can do SD to Dana Point. Dana Point has guest slips that you can reserve, or use the free anchorage. From there, Newport Beach. Guest moorings are $5 a night, but bring two very long lines. Mooring balls are fore and aft. The last leg is a long slog home past LA/Long Beach Harbor and around Palos Verdes. The winds can howl in front of LA Harbor and will be on the nose, so leave early.

Last time, I did SD to Two Harbors/Catalina. It was about a 20 hour trip, motoring on a slow heavy boat. But it was a lot of fun depending on the crew. Then it is just a couple of hours over to Redondo Beach from there.

MIdreaming 08-15-2010 02:13 PM

Thanks all! It's a 28' Ericson and we have 3 days. We were wondering about the kelp beds, too.
Seeing how we're new to sailing (not to boating) we figured we'd have to (sadly) motor- and hug the coast a bit. We will probably take the opportunity to have a lesson in tacking, but given we have only 3 days, we'll focus on moving rather than playing-- I mean sailing.
How are the currents? And what about passing the navy base, how far out do we need to be?

DSneade 10-26-2010 06:32 PM

There are several good stopover marinas you can use, depending on how many hours a day you want to motor. Be sure to have current charts for the coast. Try not to arrive at a new marina during night time hours, if possible, since the boat is new to you. Of course check and verify weather reports for your trip. Regarding passing military bases, Local Notice to Mariners will give information that may be updated if needed. As to military bases, Camp Pendleton (Oceanside, CA) will likely be your major concern. My advice: Give the base a wide berth! See you in Redondo Beach!

atmartin 10-26-2010 06:43 PM

Leaving from San Diego Bay or Mission Bay?

From San Diego Bay, I might stop in Oceanside if I were you. That would break up the run more evenly.The Oceanside harbor police run the docks and it's $1/foot, make sure you have cash and your registration.

If you want to use the guest slips at Dana Point, you need insurance, the guest slips are privately run and require it.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about Camp Pendleton. Maybe I'm totally off-base and some people have had problems, but being a few miles off shore, I think you'll be fine. I did get passed by one of those huge landing/carrier type vessels further offshore around Carlsbad and they never got too close or radioed me, but I was a little nervous.

MIdreaming 10-28-2010 02:10 PM

Thanks, we made the trip in August without any problems. We left from SD bay and stopped in Oceanside. (Good advice about cash, they don't take credit. We actually stopped in on the way down to SD and paid before we started our sail.)The next night we moored in Newport. We motored all the way, saw some whales, and got to King Harbor by the third night.
We had no trouble through Camp Pendleton, although it is wise to just check.