Like Tree72Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Well its 5 months now. Are we considering them, finally, to be 'lost at sea'?

Mark
No, not at all. Here is an excerpt from a letter they are sending out to people:

Please help save 7 sailors. If they are afloat, and there is a good chance of that, they need immediate action! Other boats, including the Scotch Bonnet, abandoned near the last known position of the Nina, took many months to drift to shore.
When some of the families launched a private search the U.S. State Department placed barriers in their path. Instead of helping with the search, the Department of State asked for dental records, which is inappropriate while an active search is in progress! They also reportedly prevented cooperation by the U.S. Coast Guard in running search drift modeling and many other things.

The families are asking for support from the sailing community. They have filed a petition and ask your members to review and if in agreement, to sign this petition. We are trying to save 7 lives!

Without assistance, the Nina sailors will likely perish in the reverse circulating currents of the Tasman Sea.

Ricky Wright, father of crew member Danielle Wright, will deliver the petition in person. With him will be John Glennie, the world record holder for longest survival at sea in a small craft in cold climate. His trimaran, the Rose Noelle, capsized off the coast of New Zealand. He and three crew mates were at sea for 119 days.

Texas Equusearch, a non-profit. 100% volunteer organization, is advising the search. Since coming on board, the organization has made huge changes in search and rescue at sea, including better ways to run the drift modeling to determine where a yacht has drifted to over time and the tasking of satellites to search for the Nina in the Tasman Sea, a first ever for a private yacht. Because of their work, all sailors will be safer!

As a final note, we are also seeking volunteers to help us in the on-line Tomnod search of satellite images. The link to log on is included.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Tim Paynter Volunteer
720 951 1700

Petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/7-li...gnature-counts

News: Text From Historic Schooner Nina Reignites Hope For 6 Americans, 1 Brit Lost At Sea Off New Zealand

Updates: EVXX.com

Donations: MY PRECIOUS DAUGHTER IS MISSING!!! by Robin Wright - GoFundMe

Find the Nina on Digital Globe Satellite Images: (Note, the Tomnod page goes down when they load images.) Tomnod

Facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ninasearch/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/337129576416954/
Old 10-03-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
No, not at all. Here is an excerpt from a letter they are sending out to people:

Please help save 7 sailors. If they are afloat, and there is a good chance of that, they need immediate action! Other boats, including the Scotch Bonnet, abandoned near the last known position of the Nina, took many months to drift to shore.
When some of the families launched a private search the U.S. State Department placed barriers in their path. Instead of helping with the search, the Department of State asked for dental records, which is inappropriate while an active search is in progress! They also reportedly prevented cooperation by the U.S. Coast Guard in running search drift modeling and many other things.

The families are asking for support from the sailing community. They have filed a petition and ask your members to review and if in agreement, to sign this petition. We are trying to save 7 lives!

Without assistance, the Nina sailors will likely perish in the reverse circulating currents of the Tasman Sea.

Ricky Wright, father of crew member Danielle Wright, will deliver the petition in person. With him will be John Glennie, the world record holder for longest survival at sea in a small craft in cold climate. His trimaran, the Rose Noelle, capsized off the coast of New Zealand. He and three crew mates were at sea for 119 days.

Texas Equusearch, a non-profit. 100% volunteer organization, is advising the search. Since coming on board, the organization has made huge changes in search and rescue at sea, including better ways to run the drift modeling to determine where a yacht has drifted to over time and the tasking of satellites to search for the Nina in the Tasman Sea, a first ever for a private yacht. Because of their work, all sailors will be safer!

As a final note, we are also seeking volunteers to help us in the on-line Tomnod search of satellite images. The link to log on is included.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Tim Paynter Volunteer
720 951 1700

Petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/7-li...gnature-counts

News: Text From Historic Schooner Nina Reignites Hope For 6 Americans, 1 Brit Lost At Sea Off New Zealand

Updates: EVXX.com

Donations: MY PRECIOUS DAUGHTER IS MISSING!!! by Robin Wright - GoFundMe

Find the Nina on Digital Globe Satellite Images: (Note, the Tomnod page goes down when they load images.) Tomnod

Facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ninasearch/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/337129576416954/
I'm sorry but you are not equating apples with apples. Empty boats do not require food and water. Even on a 70' schooner, it is unlikely that there were provisions aboard for 7 people to survive on for 4 or 5 MONTHS.
The longest survival from a yacht sinking I know of was 117 days, and they (a couple) abandoned their boat in calm weather with plenty of time to load their liferaft AND an Avon inflatable with food, water and even sails, for shade.
I commend you on your efforts and hope, but at some point you must accept reality.
Sadly, I can see no way that anyone could survive the amount of time we are talking about in that part of the world.
Old 10-03-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I was merely passing along information and answering a question. I am not comparing apples or anything.
Old 10-16-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Update

interesting from my friends over at Sail-World .....

Sail-World.com : New thread of hope - is this a photo of drifting Nina?

Whether or not anything comes of it who knows but its an addition to the story.

btw .... the life raft pic (see the same SW story) proved to be nothing.
wavedancer38 likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-17-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

It was weird. Yesterday while cleaning out the spare room closet I came across a picture of the Nina that I had saved from a calender I had many years ago. I saved it because I have a friend in Conn. who did a atlantic crossing with them. I believe some of the folks on board were going to do another with him in his boat one of these years. His boat is the Poets Lounge. Really kind of struck me when I was like, whats this back here... and I pull out a pic of Nina.
wavedancer38 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to abrahamx For This Useful Post:
wavedancer38 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

Poon Lim survived 133 days on a raft after his ship was sunk by a Nazi sub.
wavedancer38 likes this.
Old 10-17-2013

lavidanueva is on a distinguished road

We really appreciate the support of all sailors. It is quite possible the sailors are alive on an upright Nina. Part of their longevity may be due in part to the stores on the Nina. However, John Glennie, whose trimaran, the Rose Noelle, capsized off the East coast of New Zealand is a testament to long term ability to survive at sea. He and three crew members survived 119 days and would have made it a lot longer. For water they captured rain water, a tactic many cruising sailors use every day. For food they fish.

You can help our effort by signing our petition to the US State Department for support; We also ask sailors to join our search of the Digital Globe images which are served on the Tomnod crowd sourcing site. As sailors, you will have a better time of recognizing the Nina.

Thank you for all of your support. The families remain hopeful, but the governments remain intransigent.

Sincerely,

Tim Paynter
Media Lead (volunteer)

SEARCH UPDATES: www.evxx.com

Blog: http://www.blogger.com/home

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ninasearch/
wavedancer38 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lavidanueva For This Useful Post:
oceangirl (10-25-2013), wavedancer38 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I confess I posted that info out of interest and not because I have any real belief that it is the Nina or that the crew are still alive. The Baileys held out for 117 days in an inflatable and Poon Lim as JZK mentions managed 133 days on a timber raft but there is also a case of three Mexican fisherman who survived for 10 months in their disabled 28' fishing boat.

So all hope is not lost but one has to have some understanding why the official search was called off as callous as that may sound.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-17-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I don't mind spending a some time on the Tomnod site to help out. If it were my relative, I know there is no way I'd be giving up. Think I'd feel a bit like Ahab, refusing to help the Rachael if I didn't at least donate a little time.
Old 10-17-2013

lavidanueva is on a distinguished road

It is a huge help to have people looking for the Nina on the Tomnod site. It is urgent we review the satellite maps provided by Digital Globe as quickly as we can. As a fellow sailor, I hope they would do the same for me! As the technology develops, it stands to advance the way searches are done for missing sailors.

Thanks,

Tim
Closed Thread