LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
You can see the EPIRB secured in the background.

Would someone inform the ignorant of us about what the purpose of that crank in the photograph is?
It opens the skylight but more importantly it dogs it down tightly shut too.
Old 06-30-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
I think it opens the skylight.

Oops now I feel like a dinghy...

I guess I thought it was some strange wooden boat thing
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I'll tell what I do know. Captain David Dyche III used to run the Tug I'm on now. He trained the Captain that is training me. I guess I'm twice removed from him in a way. We've been sitting around listening to stories about him for a few day's now. We all here have gone through the same training as far as safety goes as he did. I remember when he was redoing the teak decks up the Miami river. He spent $11,000 on the the wood. I know that the ocean will chew you up and swallow you. Right out infront of our house it destroyed the Phantom. The dang chewed up life rafts and debris washed up down the beach from us. My father in law was amongst the last people to see the captain and crew alive. Steel, cement wood and glass, when that ocean gets going in all directions and boil'n. Knocking you every way to side way's, there is little hope for any design regardless of the material. The Pride, the Bounty, the Phantom, and the Nina, all victims of bad descisions made by smart dudes. I know Capt. Dyche was trying to get that crossing out of the way so he could get back to work. I face the same dilema often when I do deliveries off hitch. I think people get complaicent on what their boat can handle after they handle some stuff. I know I do.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 06-30-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

These points arn't meant in a negative manner, but just stating things without guilding the lilly. And eyes finds as soon as we talk about wooden boats (Bounty before this) that lots of lillys is guilded cos of old fellers thoughts of prettiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
You can see the EPIRB secured in the background.
If they couldnt grab that quick enough the boat must have gone down mighty quick. (Or the EPIRB didnt work)

Quote:
Would someone inform the ignorant of us about what the purpose of that crank in the photograph is?
Yes sailed on a boat with those sort of old windows... looks very pretty but I wonder whats safer? the type we use nowadays or those?
(By the way its not ignorant to ask for knowledge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yup, every photo I've seen of her is a clear indication that she was magnificently maintained...
But not including spending much money on her. Thats looks a very old engine as a replacement.

By the way, it was me who first sugested the boat would have been hauled to replace the engine. It wernt 'facts', it were conjecture. To clear up the doubt is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Therefor its an assumption the boat would have been out of the water for some considerable time... a few months in a NZ summer.

Note word: "assumption"

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 06-30-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2013

opusnz is on a distinguished road

I said it before but sailing in June is not that unusual. Cyclone season ends about April. You can try going in April and many do but you take the risk of a late season cyclone coming down from the tropics. There were a few this year. May would have been the preferred time to go but only if the weather was settled. June is normally OK but whatever month you go, you need to watch the systems and pick your opportunity.

No time is without risk but having said that, the vast majority of boats go without a problem.
The storm that hit them was an intense depression that formed quickly, and moved fast. Even with the best weather forecasting, it could have caught them by surprise. The Tasman Sea and area around NZ can be nasty at any time of the year.
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Scary irony. Capt. Dave got the money to buy the Nina from a settlement he recieved after his wife was hit and killed on her bicycle. He was bring'n one of our tugs in to Huston when the tragedy struck. He had to High tail it back to Miami but Alas was too late. She died while he was enroute. Sad, scary and weird.
Old 06-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
These points arn't meant in a negative manner, but just stating things without guilding the lilly. And eyes finds as soon as we talk about wooden boats (Bounty before this) that lots of lillys is guilded cos of old fellers thoughts of prettiness.
Well, an 80+ year old woody certainly wouldn't be my first choice for sailing around the world, either... But I think some are simply trying to make the point that, absent of any further forthcoming information, we're all just speculating about whatever might have occurred... We don't have anything remotely akin to the amount of information we had about the demise of the BOUNTY, for example... As you well know, the possibilities of what can happen at sea are virtually limitless...

Most would agree, for example, few sailing yachts are more stoutly built than a Samuel Morse Bristol Channel cutter... One departed Japan recently in a voyage intended to bring attention to the victims of the tsunami...

She was under the command of a legally blind sailor... Yeah, I know, what could POSSIBLY go wrong, right?

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Yup, every photo I've seen of her is a clear indication that she was magnificently maintained...
But not including spending much money on her. Thats looks a very old engine as a replacement.
The engine previously pictured is the one they pulled out...

This brand new Cummins was the replacement...

Quote:

By the way, it was me who first sugested the boat would have been hauled to replace the engine. It wernt 'facts', it were conjecture. To clear up the doubt is great.
Quote:

Therefor its an assumption the boat would have been out of the water for some considerable time... a few months in a NZ summer.
Note word: "assumption"
You'll note, as well, that my reply was in response to Harborless, for it was he who had assumed the drying-out of NINA to have been a "fact"...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-30-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

The engine previously pictured is the one they pulled out...

This brand new Cummins was the replacement...
Are you sure?

The TV detective in me looks at the photo of pulling the old engine out and wonders why they would have cleaned the engine bay under the engine after unbolting it from its mounts and before hoisting it? And where are the mounts? Took them off, cleaned it up and dropped the engine back in for a photo?

I must be getting far too cynical.
Old 06-30-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think so. I looked at some pictures on a Wooden Boat site and they support the sensible notion of moving the old engine somewhere inside the boat (explaining the removal of the heads to lighten it), doing the extensive engine bed work shown, and then taking the old out and putting the new in on the same day. There was probably quite a bit of work involved in opening up enough of the deck structure to move the engines in and out and no point in having the boat open for a long as the structural work took. There was a lot of other stuff done at the same time according to the pictures which show a new mast step so plenty of room to move the old engine.

BTW the structure in all the pictures looks remarkably clean and well cared for.
Old 06-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Are you sure?

The TV detective in me looks at the photo of pulling the old engine out and wonders why they would have cleaned the engine bay under the engine after unbolting it from its mounts and before hoisting it? And where are the mounts? Took them off, cleaned it up and dropped the engine back in for a photo?

Well, I wasn't there, of course...

But again, his Facebook page shows 4 different views of the new Cummins 150 HP, captioned "Sitting on blocks in Apoa NZ at Seapower waiting for my return."
Closed Thread