LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
I think so. I looked at some pictures on a Wooden Boat site and they support the sensible notion of moving the old engine somewhere inside the boat (explaining the removal of the heads to lighten it), doing the extensive engine bed work shown, and then taking the old out and putting the new in on the same day. There was probably quite a bit of work involved in opening up enough of the deck structure to move the engines in and out and no point in having the boat open for a long as the structural work took. There was a lot of other stuff done at the same time according to the pictures which show a new mast step so plenty of room to move the old engine.

BTW the structure in all the pictures looks remarkably clean and well cared for.
Seconded.

I know that anytime I have removed a powerplant from a boat I have redone the entire space. I have done all of the ones I did in my shop, but if I were alongside a dock and my new powerplant had not yet arrived I would put the old on to one side on blocks if I had the room and then do all the prep work and when the new one came I would lift out the exchange core engine to put back on the same truck that brought the new one. Just kind of makes sense when you think about it, and since he had the space, I figure that would be what he did, because they are not going to let him just put his old engine out there on the dock, and leave it there while he refinishes the engine spaces.

I know I saw someone on here who replaced an engine and they did a great clean up job before they put in the new one. I have no idea where the old engine was during all of that, but they were on the hard, so it was probably on the ground somewhere.
Old 06-30-2013

opusnz is on a distinguished road

Wow.... cynical is one word for it.

I suppose you also don't think the Apollo moon landings ever happened .
Old 06-30-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by opusnz View Post
Wow.... cynical is one word for it.

I suppose you also don't think the Apollo moon landings ever happened .
Not at all! I think most happened! Elvis piloted one! He told me.

It certainly doesnt look like my engine bay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Rouge wave or hull failure.
otherwise one of the seven would have activated.
went down in seconds.
Old 06-30-2013
Blue Horizons

So she wasnt dry docked. You skip the other 8000 characters?
Old 06-30-2013

opusnz is on a distinguished road

>>>>>Rouge wave or hull failure.
otherwise one of the seven would have activated.
went down in seconds.

Most likely but also possibly a collision....freighters hit things but sometimes don't stop as a family in 1995 found out.

From the LA Times..

Collision With Freighter Sank Family's Yacht

Coast Guard: Report holds South Korean ship responsible for accident killing Santa Clarita residents.

April 27, 1996|ALAN ABRAHAMSON | TIMES STAFF WRITER

In a report filled with vivid details of disaster on the high seas, the U.S. Coast Guard said Friday that a South Korean freighter was responsible for ramming and sinking a Santa Clarita family's yacht last fall in the South Pacific, killing two children and their father.

Concluding an investigation that also involved maritime safety experts in New Zealand and South Korean police, the Coast Guard said the 27,000-ton log carrying ship was the "proximate cause" of the sinking of the 47-foot Melinda Lee on Nov. 24 off New Zealand's North Island.

In stormy seas and in the middle of the night, the Coast Guard said in a report obtained by The Times, the Pan Grace apparently failed to detect the Melinda Lee on radar. Nevertheless, just before impact, crewmen aboard the massive freighter saw a red light off its starboard bow--a sign that another vessel was nearby.

But, the Coast Guard said, the freighter's officer of the watch failed to slow down and turn away from the Melinda Lee--steps he should have taken immediately under internationally recognized "rules of the road" at sea.

Killed were Michael Sleavin, 42, and his children Benjamin, 9, and Anna, 7. Judith Ann Sleavin, 41, the sole survivor, washed ashore after clinging to a dinghy for 42 hours. The family was en route from Tonga to New Zealand, one leg of an around-the-world sailing adventure.

Relatives of the family declined to comment Friday.

Investigators in South Korea, New Zealand and the U.S. have long suspected the Pan Grace in the accident.

Earlier this month, in fact, South Korean police said the freighter was at fault after finding that streaks of blue paint visible on the freighter's orange hull matched the blue paint on the yacht's fiberglass hull. They added, according to an Associated Press dispatch, that the watch officer that night--Second Mate Han Sang-Yoon, 26--faced possible criminal charges.

The Coast Guard report, however, provides the most complete record yet of the accident. It is based on photos, log books and weather reports as well as the results of inquires by New Zealand and South Korean investigators.

It also sets forth new details of the crash:

On a rainy night, the 14-ton Melinda Lee was plowing along under sail--its engine turned off--at 5 or 6 knots, bound for New Zealand's Bay of Islands.

The yacht was equipped with a three-color light on its mast, 50 to 60 feet above the water line. Another vessel nearing the Melinda Lee would see a red light if it were off the yacht's port--or left--side. The green light would show if the other vessel were to the starboard--or right--side. Both lights could be seen if approaching head-on. A white light would be visible only from behind the yacht.

Judith Sleavin had taken the watch, beginning at 1 a.m.; the others were sleeping. She had tuned her radio to Channel 16, an all-purpose marine frequency. The rudder was under the control of an automatic steering device.

Apparently because of the heavy weather, the Sleavins were not maintaining a lookout--which the Coast Guard recommends at all times but especially during a storm.

The Pan Grace--en route from Tauranga, New Zealand, to Inchon, South Korea--had a lookout on the bridge, the Coast Guard said. Under international rules, according to the Coast Guard, a proper lookout in heavy weather and traffic would include a crewman farther forward.
Old 06-30-2013
Blue Horizons

Sad.
doubtful. But possible.
Old 07-04-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

From CNN:

New Zealand's Rescue Coordination Centre released an undelivered text message found in the satellite phone system used by the schooner Nina. It's the last known message sent from the ship.

The message sent on June 4, but never delivered, reads: "THANKS STORM SAILS SHREDDED LAST NIGHT, NOW BARE POLES. GOINING 4KT 310DEG WILL UPDATE COURSE INFO @ 6PM."

The transmission is important because it gives search teams the approximate location and actual time of the last transmission, said Nigel Clifford, Maritime New Zealand's general manager safety and response services. Information can be used to help rescue teams plot search areas.
Old 07-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

It will also give them data to determine if any large ships were transiting the same area. The collision theory makes a lot of sense. Much more so than sinking because of the sea conditions.
Old 07-04-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Also raises an interesting question of how a message received by the provider ended up undelivered from their system.
Closed Thread