Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: Video of a submerged object strike/boat sunk

Thats freaken scary. I do not know anyone that keeps a good enough lookout offshore that they would have spotted that. You would get bored to tears constantly looking forward. Most and myself included, just scan for ships and other really big crap every few minutes. And it does not appear to have hit that hard but obviously hard enough. A shame to see a dream gone like that. I guess sea monsters are real after all they just do not look like we thought they would!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

I propose a new forum wide rule that every time Jon Eisberg makes a post, he has to include at least one photograph.

Or in other words, thanks for posting the pictures you do Jon, they are awesome and always interesting.
Old 07-02-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Regarding blind sailing, anyone ever notice the brail keypads on drive thru banking windows? WUWT?
Yep, always puzzled me too.

Blind sailors would explain a few things, boating with braille system...not a good idea.
Old 07-02-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Regarding blind sailing, anyone ever notice the brail keypads on drive thru banking windows? WUWT?
I guess this makes for a funny-sounding punchline. But did it ever occur to you that a blind person who would like to use the ATM could be driven there by someone else?
Minnesail likes this.
Old 07-02-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Must have been something solid to punch through the hull of a BCC. Those boats are solid. The corner of a submerged container would probably do it, though. Sad.

Smackdaddy - about the two lines intersecting comment - I think Murphy's Law distorts lines on the water. Of course, could be my sailing :-), but if you put me out somewhere with another object - channel mark, other boat, etc - I somehow always seem to end up closer than I would like! If I tack up the channel, I always seem to be heading towards a mark before I tack...if I am a bay with another boat, I always seem somehow to end up crossing their path...
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Braille at the drive-through: Well, I know I've walked up to those atm's when the regular was one inaccessible or simply further away. But then again, I'm sure a number of drivers out there really can't see. You've never met them on the road?

What really makes me certain the world has gone mad, are the "handicapped" level urinals in many new bathrooms. I really can see the point, but for an adult male you look at them and wonder, is this really the spot where the seven dwarves hang out?? Might as well put a hole in the floor and call it done.
Old 07-02-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

This is the note that my Japanese skipper sent to me when I asked for the translation

================
Famous news caster and blind sailor named Iwamoto who live in San Diego were going to cross the Pacific. After 3 times collision noise, leak from bottom, they abandoned ship, move to life raft. They were rescued by maritime force helicopter. They said sperm whale collided the boat.

Last year we entered "Newport-Ensenada Race", 1 boat sank near Coronado Is at calm night, 3 crew was died. The cause of the accident was unknown. This Transpac, double hand sailor from San Diego will enter the race,one is blind, he knows Iwamoto very well. They said sail boat does not have engine noise, so whale collide by accident ( or with malice ?). Sail boat should have false engine noise.

"Save whale" we have only few whale restaurant in Japan , I do not eat whale for more than 30 years. I change my mind,,, whale sashimi with ginger soy sauce ,, I can not forget the taste.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
They said sail boat does not have engine noise, so whale collide by accident ( or with malice ?). Sail boat should have false engine noise.

"Save whale" we have only few whale restaurant in Japan , I do not eat whale for more than 30 years. I change my mind,,, whale sashimi with ginger soy sauce ,, I can not forget the taste.
Ouch. Pay back time? Both ways?
SloopJonB likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-03-2013

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

I like my quite thick-hulled, ancient and slow Columbia 40 more today than yesterday...especially since in the last 7-8 years I have seen several large 3-4 foot long dock pilings in the bay here..I hauled the one back to shore...the other washed up one morning after a recent storm...it was approaching 4 -feet long...thanks dock-installer guy! I hope the annoying powerboat guy who did a close 360 around me last month also learns to appreciate you...and the video does kinds look like a whale..but almost a squared corner too for a sec..hard for me to tell what that was...

Last edited by souljour2000; 07-03-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This reminds me of a South Park episode from a few years ago (it's censored but potentially NSFW):

South Park Whale Whores Funny Scenes HD - YouTube