Not a Member? 

Like Tree378Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I didn't say it seems the same to me. I am aware of the difference between the two. What I was explaining to you is that the actual response here in Australia by SAR in both cases will be to begin the process of a rescue, and to ask craft to divert and render assistance. The assumption being that any PAN PAN could be a MAYDAY until proved otherwise.
That can't be true and makes no sense. Do you are saying that if I Issue a Pan Pan adverting the Australian CG for a serious problem and asking them to follow me for safety reasons (for instance contacting every 6 hours) because I have one of the following situations:

1 - I am making water but I have managed to stop the ingress to acceptable levels and I am trying to make it to port.

2. I have broken my mast, lost the engine, managed to jury rig and I am trying to make it to Port.

Are you saying that face to these circumstances the Australians will divert ships and launch aircrafts and helicopters just in case the Pan Pan turns in a mayday?

That does not makes sense.

As I have said an Epirb launch or a DSC emergency signal is a Mayday and cannot be used on a Pan Pan.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
The fleet left knowing a cold front was to pass but it was supposed to pass fast and then good conditions, Instead it stalled and the fleet was stuck in the stream with 20-25. The problems came in the squalls with 30-40 against the stream.
Maybe I am not understanding what you say and please if it is the case correct me:

Do you mean that on that particularly difficult stretch of sea they sailed out knowing that they would get 20/25K winds, even if not for much time?

If so call me an armchair sailor even if I do between 2 to 3000nm a year but I don't sail out for a passage if the weather report gives 25K on my pass unless I have a very special boat. I have been surprised many times by F6 that turned in F8 and once by a F7 that turned in a F9/10 besides the winds reported by a weather service regards medium sustained winds, not gusts that normally blow 10k more and sometimes 15K more regarding a sustained 25K. Not that my boat cannot take it but it, or I cannot do it, but is not agreeable and it involves risks that I prefer not to take.

Sure with my friend's boat, an heavy Steel 60ft ketch we used to sail on f9 winds without any problem and I would have no doubt in sailing out with that weather report but those were not the average type of boats on the rally.

Rallies, precisely the ones that will not assume any responsibility regarding departure date or security conditions, can induce false safety feelings to less experienced sailors that can be very dangerous.

If someone not very experienced, that probably alone would not risk 25k winds, sees everybody sailing out in boats similar to the ones we own, will tend to think that so many cannot be mistaken and if it is safe for them, it will be safe for me. Nobody likes to be left behind.

On a side note, more two Catalina with rudder problems: one lost it and the other loss steering. Obviously Catalinas, or at least some vintage, have a problem with rudders. That does not mean that Catalinas cannot sail safely but that they have to do a lot more rudder maintenance than other boats. I would liked very much to know if those two Catalina had their rudder system conveniently checked before doing this passage and when was the systems completed dismounted for a thoroughly inspection.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-11-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

What kind of boat do you have Paulo?
Old 11-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
What kind of boat do you have Paulo?
A 2007 Comet 41s, the one in my avatar.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Hey, what the hell? There's a Hunter 36 out there still afloat...and...apparently...sailing! That's not possible.

Heh-heh.
Argyle38 likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-11-2013

Looks to be more of a racer thab a cruiser. Do you race it?
Old 11-11-2013

Quote:
Hey, what the hell? There's a Hunter 36 out there still afloat...and...apparently...sailing! That's not possible.
Feeling vindicated?
Old 11-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Feeling vindicated?
Heh-heh. Not until they have their toes in the sand and booze in their cups.

It was just interesting to see them in the midst of all the other vaunted bluewater brands. Scrappy!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-11-2013

Quote:
Looks to be more of a racer thab a cruiser. Do you race it?
No, but some race it with good results. The boat is a performance cruiser and it has a good cruising interior.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vNe2CEwuxKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-11-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

The C42 is a Gerry Douglas design from the 1990’s. C38 is a Sparkman Stephens IOR design built by Catalina and predates the C42 by between 10 and 20 years (depending upon the year purchased.) I have firsthand experience on both (raced the C38 and cruised the C42). Their rudders and steering gear are totally different and whatever problems these two boats encountered, it was not the result of a single root cause in either design or manufacture.