Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Like SV Auspicious and Jon E, I suspect the conditions were much worse than reported. I mean come on!!... how many of you have ever made a passage where the winds and waves were as reported??? If it was one boat losing its rudder or whatever, I might have a different opinion. But wasn't it two demastings and two lost rudders and everything else? Yikes. WHat a terrible start to a great trip. I have a friend who also followed it (he has a good friend in the rally) and they were reporting gusts in the 50s. We talked about this a bit a couple of days ago.

I actually agree with Dave that these rally's are a good thing (may have been Jon's position too). I also believe they can increase the safety. I don't buy into the 'herd mentality' thing that keeps getting thrown out. Instead, I think it is a group of sailors (of all levels of experience and boats) working out and talking out the best time to leave and weather windows. If it is anything like down here, the conversations drift into safety gear, what meds you take, drogues, reefs, etc. Lively discussions come from it over a beer or two. That is all good stuff and certainly outweighs any 'herd mentality' that might come from it and even more so, might invoke a few thought process that a single person has not come up with. We sailors are, by nature, a pretty independent bunch of people who also enjoy a bit of socializing. I love the rally idea, though I have never done one. I am simply too fickle in where I want to go and when. THat being said, my wife wants to do the ARC. I think that would be a blast, but I dont want to do it with the kids. One of us would kill each other... probably with me jumping overboard somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic!

Brian
blowinstink likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Americans like safety, Paulo. We just don't like the government to force it down our throats. We prefer to police ourselves.
But don't we already have that? Life jackets, flares, etc?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-12-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Plan to do this rally. Just the net and weather updates make it worth while. The hell with the T shirt- no killer cotton on my boat.
Paulo - unfortunately you can't fix stupid. Going out on a boat ill prepared will continue to happen. Even in NZ how can they hope to police their rules if folks leave to go cruising some night and don't expect to come back to NZ for time to come? Be curious as to what the penalties are?
Old 11-12-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Plan to do this rally. Just the net and weather updates make it worth while. The hell with the T shirt- no killer cotton on my boat.
Paulo - unfortunately you can't fix stupid. Going out on a boat ill prepared will continue to happen. Even in NZ how can they hope to police their rules if folks leave to go cruising some night and don't expect to come back to NZ for time to come? Be curious as to what the penalties are?
Absolutely! I think that rally is a great idea. 2014?

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-12-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
See the information posted on Eye Candy's Blog
Wow
The weather routing really didn't work at all.
Old 11-12-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

yup- Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
Old 11-12-2013

scottbr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Wow
The weather routing really didn't work at all.
It's the first time the weather forecasters could not predict the future.....
Old 11-12-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Option 1. No doubt.

Just the thought of not having a BFS Tee would make his girlfriend pressure him into attending a SAS seminar and upgrade the boat. Hell - she'd take the boat away from him and do it herself.
Ok, I hard that apparently the Pardeys also want to do the BFS Rally, they have heard there will be one hell of a Beach BBQ. They have also told Beth Leonard that Smack makes the rum punch to end all rum punches.....and she and Evan are keen to come along.

Despite having more than 4 circumnavigations under their belt between them under your requirments, that is the ISAF regs, they are apparently 'not safe' and will not be able to drink punch with us all becuase of ISAF Bob's clipboard

This is because of specific educated decisions they have made in regards to what they believe is best for the safety of their vessel which differs to what the lawyers of yachting bodies and associations have decreed.

However Martin and Mary retired accountants on their brand new Hunter 50 ( Sorry couldn't resist ) from Suburbiaville have read all the regs and dropped thousands on gear they don't understand. They have let some flares off and sat in a Liferaft in the Suburniaville pool and done a qualifying passage with Jane and Doug on their Island Packet last summmer. Martin can't wait to get one on those tshirts knowing they are ' BFS safe'.

( By the way Mary said she saw ISAF Bob passed out under the Punch bowl...)

Last edited by chall03; 11-12-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Ok, I hard that apparently the Pardeys also want to do the BFS Rally, they have heard there will be one hell of a Beach BBQ. They have also told Beth Leonard that Smack makes the rum punch to end all rum punches.....and she and Evan are keen to come along.

Despite having more than 4 circumnavigations under their belt between them under your requirments, that is the ISAF regs, they are apparently 'not safe' and will not be able to drink punch with us all becuase of ISAF Bob's clipboard

This is because of specific educated decisions they have made in regards to what they believe is best for the safety of their vessel which differs to what the lawyers of yachting bodies and associations have decreed.

However Martin and Mary retired accountants on their brand new Hunter 50 ( Sorry couldn't resist ) from Suburbiaville have read all the regs and dropped thousands on gear they don't understand. They have let some flares off and sat in a Liferaft in the Suburniaville pool and done a qualifying passage with Jane and Doug on their Island Packet last summmer. Martin can't wait to get one on those tshirts knowing they are ' BFS safe'.

( By the way Mary said she saw ISAF Bob passed out under the Punch bowl...)
Rules is rules. You want the punch you gotta drink the koolaid.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-12-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Ok let's say another multi-cirucmnavigator( I might stop using the Pardeys or Beth and Evan as specific examples here they both read forums ) wants to join in the BFS cup.

They also have slightly different idea's in regards to liferafts than ISAF ( becuase they are seasoned doublehanded circumnavigators, not offshore racing crews) that technically means they don't meet regs.

BUT They would love to sponsor the BFS cup, run safety seminars, teach storm tactics as it applies to double handed cruising yachts to everyone, commit to spending 2 weeks walking around the dock helping everyone get the boats ready, show Martin and Mary how to Hove to in the floating carvan, Heck they are even going to bring the rum......

What then? Which Option is safest??

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.