Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree360Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013

luv4sailin is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

QUOTE:
"But instead of having mounted an autopilot plus a windvane, (that is very expensive, takes a lot of useful space and it is much less efficient in what regard the ability to drive the boat in all conditions) it is much more logical and better to have a set of spars for the autopilot"

My Monitor takes up no space that I can use. It hangs off the stern.

With regard to power consumption, on a 5 day trip using my Alder Barbour frig, my Alpha 3000 24 hours per day, AIS, VHF and the normal lights & gauges and some SSB, I ran my engine 45-60 minutes every 12 hours and had no energy issues at all. I consume less than 2/3 gallons per hour at 1300 RPM, so my fuel consumption for the 5 days for energy recharging was less than 7 gallons.

While carrying spars for ones autopilot certainly makes sense, one can buy a used Monitor for $2K. it is hard to imagine why a serious cruiser would not have one. Clearly $ would not be the reason.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

If anyone is interested in reading about a boat that survived the weather the Salty Dog Rally encountered and has just made it into Virgon Gorda read Serafina's story here.

Sailing travel log |Rob Bell | Sarah Bell |

It is a pretty harrowing story of a couple in a Najad 460 who encounter survival conditions. At the height of the weather there is a heart felt comment.

" BEAM US UP SCOTTY "
Old 11-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks TQA. Great write ups. I'm going through them now.

For those of you who poo-poo the notion of "group think" influencing decisions in a rally - decisions that would likely play out otherwise in the case of an individual skipper on his own, this is a telling quote from this blog:

Quote:
Well at long last there has been a decisive gap in the weather and the fleet has largely chosen to head off south on Wednesday, but along with a few other ‘old heads’ we have opted for a Tuesday morning start as this gets us clear across the Gulf Stream ahead of a big cold front that will bring us 30 to 40 knot winds.
A rally creates a strong psychological influence on individual decisions. And that in itself can elevate risk. No way around it.

"This was definately not in the brochure....."
PCP and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes, different strokes for different folk I agree but that does not mean that those 32 boats using windvane are not also using a generator or are not using the batteries to charge their systems.
I never suggested they weren't... However, I think it is likely that most who have chosen to go with a windvane, perhaps partially due to the fact they require no 'juice', are more likely to be somewhat more conservative/minimalist in their choices re outfitting their boats in other respects...

Quote:
I agree with you than on an extended passage someone should have a back up in case you have a malfunction on a autopilot even if many circumnavigate with an autopilot without any problem.

But instead of having mounted an autopilot plus a windvane, (that is very expensive, takes a lot of useful space and it is much less efficient in what regard the ability to drive the boat in all conditions) it is much more logical and better to have a set of spars for the autopilot: an electrical engine, the electronic components and fuses would be far less expensive than a windvane. That is what those that voyage extensively in modern boats do.
We'll simply have to agree to disagree on that one... Certainly, vanes have their limitations, and are far less effective in light air than an autopilot... Perhaps my own boat is unique in all the world, but when conditions become a bit sportier - particularly in a quartering sea - my vane handles them far better than my autopilot does... That is simply a fact, one that I suspect is true for many others of us out there who have neither the resources, nor the desire, to trade in our outmoded older boats for something like a Pogo :-)

Quote:
Older voyage boats have already installed for many years a windvane and probably their autopilot is also an old less effective one so it makes sense that they keep both systems even if at the cost of a lesser performance in what regards to leave the boat on autopilot or windvane, if compared with a modern system.

Regards

Paulo
Again, that is not the case on my boat... My tillerpilot is the latest generation Raymarine 6002 with the SPX-5 gyro, with the "GP" pushrod/motor, sized for boats up to 16,500 lbs displacement... Still, in anything above about F5, my vane simply steers my boat better...

And, as of now, I'm not inclined to invest over $8K for a NKE unit with an internal fuse that can only be replaced by the factory... :-)

christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-18-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A rally creates a strong psychological influence on individual decisions. And that in itself can elevate risk. No way around it.
Conversely they can ameliorate decisions too.
Old 11-18-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Still these folks deserve a round of applause. They both got sick but sailed their boat and remain with a great attitude. The blog speaks well for being on a strong good boat of decent size. The Najad took good care of them.
Friend on sistership of mine just sent email. They did it in 7 1/2d. He had the gall to send a snap of a bevey of honeys in string bikinis on the beach by his boat. (did cheer me up) Here I am talking to the yard about shrinkwrap doors in the rain.
Old 11-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
For comparison, most popular autopilots use approx. 50-70 amps/24 hours. My Isotherm SP refrig. unit uses approx. 17 amps in 24 hours. ....
If your autopilot wastes more energy than your refrigerator, or your refrigerator is really tiny or your autopilot is not working correctly.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sailin View Post
QUOTE:

My Monitor takes up no space that I can use. It hangs off the stern.

Perhaps I has not clear, I do not mean storage space but space to enjoy a bath or to sit there or for not making difficult coming from the dinghy to the boat, that kind of space

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks TQA. Great write ups. I'm going through them now.

For those of you who poo-poo the notion of "group think" influencing decisions in a rally - decisions that would likely play out otherwise in the case of an individual skipper on his own, this is a telling quote from this blog:

"This was definately not in the brochure....."

That, or the opposite.

If we leave to the free will the day of departure it will happen as you mention.

If someone from the organization is responsible for the safety of the rally it will be also responsible for choosing the weather window and departure day.

If that sailor is very knowledgeable and knows exceptionally well the area then his decision can have influence on the safety of the ones that are less experienced than him and that should be practically all otherwise it would not make sense.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Good point Paulo.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40