Not a Member? 

Like Tree360Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Surely, in today's world, there must be an app for this, no? :-)
Sure there is... but it fails as soon as you're outside WiFi range
Old 12-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
4. I don't really understand this one. You shouldn't make a passage you wouldn't otherwise make simply because a rally is going. I think rallies potentially offer some real benefits to people with less experience.
I think this is one of the benefits of the SDR. The entire rally is based on the concept of self-sufficiency and personal responsibility. There were seminars and gatherings up and down the US East Coast starting long before the intended departure date so that participants would have time to integrate what they learned from the presenters and from each other.

Quote:
Let me be clear, I would not classify Bill and Linda Knowles as 'friends' of mine. They might remember me in person, I seriously doubt they would recognize my name. I first met them about 3 years ago at Bluewater Yachting Center on a delivery north, they had just come in from the BVIs. ... snip ... They're very nice, laid back folks, and obviously very capable sailors... Their motives in forming the SDR seem entirely pure, to me, in line with Bill's longstanding service to the Herreschoff Museum in Bristol, RI, where they spend the summer... I definitely got the impression much of the work he performed was of a voluntary nature...
I like and respect the Knowles. I've met them three or four times and we've corresponded sporadically for a couple of years. I don't think we know each other well enough to be considered friends, although perhaps someday we will be.

I agree with Jon's assessment of the Knowles. They are good people with big hearts with much skill and knowledge to share. They give with no strings attached.

So I like them. Does that make me biased? I like a lot of people. Must one be a hermit to be objective?

Quote:
Actually, I would categorize what I wrote re the various departure points for this passage as being closer to 'opinion', than 'advice'... At any rate, there seems to be very little distinction between the two, whenever expressed in a forum such as this...
I second that characterization.

When anyone offers an opinion there are so many unspoken assumptions and boundary conditions that differences between the opinions of people with open minds provide an opportunity for discussion and mutual learning. I think that is the sort of relationship that Jon and I share. I don't remember him ever saying I was wrong about something and I know I haven't ever said he was wrong. We seek to learn and consider from one another. We may not change our disparate opinions but we do give thought.

Of greater value--I hope--to the cruising community of the ramblings of Eisberg and Skolnick are the many issues on which we agree. Relevant to this discussion our focus on the capabilities of the people on the boat over the boat and its outfit.

Quote:
Well, here's what I would say:

Don't do it... A newbie without much offshore experience has no business sailing his own boat from Newport direct to the Caribbean in November...
Agreed. I'd probably follow that with a list of things he or she should learn: weather forecasting, routing, sail trim, enough fluid dynamics to really understand sail trim and hull performance, some basic marlinspike skills, basic mechanics, communications skills, navigation. I might dig out some checklists for the boat but the focus is on understanding, knowledge, and skill.

Quote:
Well, to use your own words, you need to "get an idea what "get[ting] yourself to a place where you are comfortable with your level of prep and readiness" actually means." In this regard, rallies actually can serve some purpose - by affording the opportunity to gain offshore experience, by sailing as crew, on someone else's boat...
Agreed. That's why I usually make room on deliveries for someone new, someone building experience and basic skills. It's part of my way of giving back.

I also make time to sail with others on their boat. I've down a number of owner-aboard deliveries including the first offshore passage of a lot of owners.

In both sorts of cases we'll talk about the whys and hows of decisions and choices so crew can learn and grow.

This is one of the reasons that the Yachtmaster credential is more respected around the world than US Coast Guard licenses. The MCA license focuses on decision-making and judgment. The USCG focuses on passing a knowledge test.

Which thought doesn't wander as far from the original SDR topic as it might seem.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

E +S - think a more common danger is folks like me. I' done multiple Marion and Newport to Bermuda trips but that was in my 30's and early 40's. Also it was in June. I' gone to the Caribbean and back in perfect weather with very skilled crew. This could lead to great hubris. I was then boat less for awhile and now re enter the scene on the biggest boat I' ve ever owned with tons of technology I'm just starting to understand.
Fortunately I hopefully have enough acceptance of my limitations to hire someone like you for my next transit and do multiple long near coastal hops get my wife and I up to speed before hand However, those who are not honest with themselves and realize the need for backup and re education set themselves up for disaster.
Old 12-09-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Don't do it... A newbie without much offshore experience has no business sailing his own boat from Newport direct to the Caribbean in November...
I totally agree with you, Jon. I just wish the SDR would say the same.

Quote:
Well, to use your own words, you need to "get an idea what "get[ting] yourself to a place where you are comfortable with your level of prep and readiness" actually means." In this regard, rallies actually can serve some purpose - by affording the opportunity to gain offshore experience, by sailing as crew, on someone else's boat...

You're right... By sailing with someone more experienced, aboard their boat... It's a delusion to think someone is gonna learn anything from other more experienced sailors in the fleet, once boats have left the dock...
Again, I totally agree with you. That's why I do the off-shore races and deliveries as crew. I've learned a hell of a lot - with a hell of a lot still to learn before we take our own boat across to Florida next summer.

Quote:
Well, that's the rub, of course... I have a real problem with the notion that these rallies can realistically be run "for the benefit of those with less experience". It's an absurd notion, that the sea might make 'concessions' for newbies. It's been stated earlier, and I believe you voiced agreement, that unless one has the confidence, skills, boat, and crew to undertake such a passage entirely on their own, they have no business making the trip, period...

Of course, many newbs don't want to hear this, of course... "I just bought a brand new Bluewater Beemer with a Joystick Docking option, why can't I sail straight to Paradise NOW?"
Again, agreed. And this is why I have a problem with the low standard for entry to rallies like the SDR. They're basically telling that newb, "Why, you can! Just join our rally!" That's been my problem with it from the beginning. I think it's somewhat dangerous and irresponsible.

Quote:
This takes us to another elephant in the room, something I alluded to earlier, the rush to accelerate the learning curve today, and the dismissal of the notion of any sort of Offshore Sailing Apprenticeship...
Sounds like you need to start a rally Jon. That one I'd join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
There were seminars and gatherings up and down the US East Coast starting long before the intended departure date so that participants would have time to integrate what they learned from the presenters and from each other.

I'd probably follow that with a list of things he or she should learn: weather forecasting, routing, sail trim, enough fluid dynamics to really understand sail trim and hull performance, some basic marlinspike skills, basic mechanics, communications skills, navigation. I might dig out some checklists for the boat but the focus is on understanding, knowledge, and skill.
So what is the list of those SDR seminars, Ausp? That would be very helpful to the debate. Strangely, they don't seem to be listed on the SDR website...which makes it even harder for a less experienced sailor to determine the value of the rally in terms of learning. Here is a list of the events from the website:

Quote:
Nov 2, 2013 • Hampton, VA • Chicken BBQ with Stell and Snuggs performing.

Nov 1, 2013 • Hampton, VA • Whole Pig Roast with Mike and Amy Aiken performing. Rum Bar, featuring Pain Killers, provided by Phil Worrall on Rum Runner.

Oct 31, 2013 • Hampton, VA • Dark n Stormy Cocktail/Costume Party courtesy of Hampton Tourism and Convention Center. Caribbean Music with steel drums by Donna Lange.

Oct 29, 2013 • Hampton, VA • Check-in for the 2013 Fall Salty Dawg Rally begins at the Dawg House (aka the Bluewater Pavilion).

Oct 10 – 14, 2013 • Annapolis, MD • We will be at the Annapolis Sailboat Show, Tent H8.

Oct 10, 2013 • Annapolis, MD • Join us at our 2nd Annual Annapolis Rendezvous, sponsored by Jack Martin Insurance and Falvey Insurance at Mears Pavilion (519 Chester Avenue, Annapolis, MD) on Thursday, October 10th, 6pm.

Oct 9, 2013 • Annapolis, MD • Full day of seminars sponsored by Sea Hawk Paint, Mears Pavilion, Annapolis, MD. By RSVP to first 100 people.
"Up and down the US East coast"? Really? I see one day of seminars in Annapolis - for only, maybe, 1/3 of the total participants (likely less depending on actual attendance).

I assume that because you, like Jon, would tell a person without much off-shore experience that they shouldn't do this trip (unlike the SDR) - those seminars covered all of the topics you list above to your satisfaction - in addition to one very important one you left off...safety? So, as of October 10, that newb was now qualified for the trip and you would have encouraged their departure over a Dark-n-Stormy, a Painkiller, and some roasted pig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
When anyone offers an opinion there are so many unspoken assumptions and boundary conditions that differences between the opinions of people with open minds provide an opportunity for discussion and mutual learning. We seek to learn and consider from one another. We may not change our disparate opinions but we do give thought.
That's absolutely true for most of us. On the other hand, a tender few get in a huff and call the person they disagree with a "troll". How do you feel about those people, Ausp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-09-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Jon, based on our continued comparisons of the 1500 and the SDR, I took a look at what each offers the participant (especially the less-experienced one like me) in terms of "assistance and education" to help participants be as safe and successful as possible.

SDR
As shown above, they list a single day of seminars (with no detail of what those are) for a max of 100 people in Annapolis. Additionally, here's what the less-experienced sailor can expect for additional assistance and/or learning:
BENEFITS FOR SALTY DAWGS | Salty Dawg Rally

Quote:
When you join the Salty Dawg Rally not only can you enjoy the camaraderie of fellow blue water sailors at a variety of Rally events but you can also take advantage of great participant discounts.

MARINE WEATHER SERVICE- Chris Parker
During passage, free daily weather forecast & routing advice, via SSB and e-mail. Beginning Nov. 1, live daily weather webcasts. Sponsored by Bluewater Sailing Magazine.

BLUEWATER SAILING MAGAZINE
Not only does Bluewater Sailing Magazine sponsor Marine Weather Serive but they also provide each boat owner and all crew members with a free one year digital subscription to BWS magazine.

NV CHARTS
Choice of two free charts of the US East Coast (excluding Bermuda).

BITTER END YACHT CLUB
Free/discounted moorings and dockage, wifi, pool, yoga, etc.

LEVERICK BAY DISCOUNTS
Leverick Bay is giving participants $25 moorings/night, $35/night at the dock plus utilities, regardless of the size of your boat, 25% off drinks at the Jumbies Beach Bar (except during Happy Hour when Painkillers and more are buy 1, get one free), 15% off meals (upstairs and down), except for the Friday Night Beach Barbecue and 10% off the Food Pantry for provisioning. Enjoy the Mocko Jumbies on Friday night and Pirate Michael Beans Monday – Thursday, both are free!

BLUEWATER YACHTING CENTER DISCOUNT
Bluewater Yachting Center in Hampton, VA is offering special rates for the Salty Dawg Rally.

CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL
The Crowne Plaza in downtown Hampton is offering special rates for family and friends of participants.

FALVEY INSURANCE and JACK MARTIN ASSOC.
Jack Martin & Associates of Annapolis, MD and Falvey Insurance of Kingston, RI have teamed up to provide an excellent combination of insurance pricing and coverage for Salty Dawg Rally participants.

OFFSHORE PASSAGE OPPORTUNITIES
The use of the OPO database, to find crew for your boat, is offered to participants at no charge.

WEST MARINE
Special store discounts and shuttle service from Bluewater Yachting Center to the Hampton store.

ENTERPRISE RENT A CAR
Enterprise Rental is offering Corporate rates nationwide for SDR participants. Consider this for provisioning and passage preparations!

DOWNUNDER DIVING
Discounts on diving services (hull cleaning, inspections, zinc replacement etc. ) from Don the Diver while in Hampton, VA.

BAMBOUSHAY POTTERY
Free official Salty Dawg Mug handmade by Bamboushay Pottery/BVI Painters.

BEE’S KNEES ZIPPER WAX
Samples in every Skipper Bag.

GOLDEN HIND CHANDLERY
Golden Hind Chandlery in Road Town is providing 15% discounts for participants.

PRISM
Special discounts in addition to sample polish products in all Skipper Bags.

RITE WAY DISCOUNTS-BVI
In addition to an 8% discount on in-store purchases (10% discount to seniors), free delivery of provisions to your boat in Tortola or Virgin Gorda, all season, at Rite Way Food Markets (including Harbour Market in Soper’s Hole), provided by Roadtown Wholesale Trading, Ltd.

YACHT SHOTS PHOTOGRAPHY -BVI
Get great photos of your boat at discounted rates from Yacht Shot Photography.

BLUE WATER DIVERS
Get 10% off at Blue Water Divers in Nanny Cay, voted best dive operator in the BVI.

SAILORS NIGHT VISION CAP
SDR embroidered Night Vision Cap in every Skipper Bag.
So, by my count here, the less-experienced sailor gets camaraderie, weather routing service, a couple of charts, discounted booze, insurance, services, and rental cars, oh, and a hat with lights on it. I suppose we should also count the "tribal advice" on the departure date that they mentioned after the rescues.

Now let's compare the above with the 1500...
Carib1500

Quote:
The job of a rally organiser is to provide a safe framework for participants, and to provide them with the information they need to make safe decisions for their boat and crew.

The start port and dates make the most of the available weather to maximize your Caribbean sailing, and our week-long pre-departure program will get you relaxed and ready for cruising.

Without a doubt the most difficult part of getting to the Caribbean is timing the weather window before departure. Fall on the East Coast is squeezed between late summer hurricane season and early winter gale season. By joining the 1500, you can rest assured that the ‘experts’ are there to take the pressure off of that decision. Our support team consists of professional ocean sailors working closely with our weather forecasters at WRI to ensure the fleet makes it across the Gulf Stream and into warmer waters in the best possible conditions.

Before you even get to the start, we help with your preparations by providing a comprehensive Rally Handbook and regular newsletters, and we’re here to help you find crew and answer your questions by phone or email.

From Time of Registration:
● West Marine discounts at all stores nationwide
● Bound Rally Handbook, including local info and ocean sailing tips
● Free rig inspections anytime at Port Annapolis Marina
● Access to World Cruising Club’s extensive online resources for offshore sailing
● Discounted chart and pilot book ordering through website

In Portsmouth VA:
● 2 free nights dockage at Ocean Marine Yacht Center
● Welcome Pack
● ARC Caribbean 1500 boat flag
● One issue of SAIL Magazine and an annual subscription for each skipper and crew member
● Safety equipment inspection
● Lecture program (Gulf Stream crossing, rigging, weather, provisioning, first aid)
● Rig inspections by Southbound Yacht Rigging
● Discounted fuel polishing at Ocean Marine Yacht Center
● Safety demonstration (live flare and liferaft demonstration)
● Comprehensive social program nightly
● Skippers’ Briefing
● Welcome Party
● Farewell Party

On passage at sea:
● Float plan filed with USCG and Virgin Islands Search & Rescue (VISAR)
● Position reporting
● Radio net
● Daily weather forecast sent by email
● Tracking of yachts, including loan of a satellite tracker
● Display of positions on ARC Caribbean 1500 event website

In Nanny Cay:
● Welcome on arrival
● Customs clearance at Nanny Cay – avoid stopping at Soper’s Hole
● Local tourist information
● Full social program nightly
● ARC Caribbean 1500 awards ceremony
● 2 days free docking at Nanny Cay on arrival
● Lectures on topics relating to cruising the Caribbean
Now, being one of those less-experienced sailors that wants to learn from the more experienced, I can unequivocally say that, judging by these lists, the 1500 is hands-down the better option at helping me prepare to be safe and successful out there. There's no doubt about that.

The issue is, it's way easier and cheaper for me to join the SDR. And I get that cool hat with lights on it!
billyruffn likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-09-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

So maybe one should be a "Salty Dog" to get the most from the SD rally and FNGs should do the 1500 or hire a captain or just go on their own, if they so please.
smackdaddy likes this.
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 12-09-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34crealock View Post
So maybe one should be a "Salty Dog" to get the most from the SD rally and FNGs should do the 1500 or hire a captain or just go on their own, if they so please.
Makes sense to me.

PS - It seems, however, the long-term goal of the SDR might be more FNG-focused. This is from their sponsorship page.

Quote:
The Salty Dawg Rally is a R.I. registered non-profit organization and for the next year will demonstrate its roll [sic] as an educational organization by fostering and teaching seamanship, safe boat handling, navigation and other skills needed by blue water sailors.

Testimonial from George Day, Publisher, Blue Water Sailing magazine: “When Bill and Linda Knowles and I got talking about starting a new, free rally for cruisers that would help sailors get to and from the BVI each fall and spring, I knew they were onto a great idea. There was another rally out there but it was not free and not run in the true spirit of the cruising lifestyle. I am sure Bill and Linda and all of the great volunteers and sponsors who made the first two rallies successful didn’t anticipate what they were getting into but we all are thrilled to be part of a grass roots cruising rally that we believe in. So, we are happy to be a top sponsor and look forward to many happy years supporting the Salty Dawg Rally.”
If that's what they eventually do, and have others pay for it, then good on them. That said, I'm now very interested in the reasons behind this split between the 1500 and the SDR. What does Mr. Day mean when he says, "not run in the true spirit of the cruising lifestyle"? Seems to be an interesting story here...especially in light of these rescues.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-09-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2013
Last Man Standing

Yep - an interesting story here...

This is from the Blue Water Sailing website:
CAPTAINS LOG | DECEMBER 2013 | BLUE WATER SAILING MAGAZINE | CRUISING, SAILING, BOAT REVIEWS, GEAR, CHARTERING | 888.800.SAIL

Quote:
This fall, our boat partners Tony and Judy Knowles have been deep in the throes of getting our Jeanneau 45.2 Lime’n ready for a winter cruise from Newport, RI to the Caribbean. As I type, they (and we) are watching the weather in the North Atlantic very carefully as we look for a weather window that will allow Lime’n to get to Bermuda (four days of sailing) in relatively benign conditions. We have been logging on to the Passage Weather website twice a day to get the overall weather picture, and we have engaged Commanders Weather to advise us when it looks prudent to go. The most important part of this first southbound leg is to get across the Gulf Stream in fair and mild weather. A North Atlantic gale in the stream is not something any of us want to meet.

In Hampton, Va., the relatively new, free Salty Dawg Rally, sponsored by BWS and many other companies, has grown to 120 boats in its third year and the skippers and crews have been busy getting ready for the 1,300 mile passage from the mouth of the Chesapeake to The Bitter End Yacht Club in Virgin Gorda, B.V.I. The Salty Dawg Rally is a pure cruising event with no set departure date, other than a recommended date, no racing and no prizes for winners, losers or otherwise. The prize is the simple pleasure of cruising in company. Unlike other rallies, the Salty Dawg Rally provides daily weather and routing services from expert router Chris Parker; his services are BWS’s contribution to the event.

In Norfolk, Va., the Caribbean 1500 is also getting ready for their November start. A fee based event, the 1500 appeals to new cruisers who want the supervision of rally organizers who mandate gear and equipment for each boat and then provide in depth boat inspections.

But not all skippers join rallies. Bermuda Harbor Radio informs us that approximately 1,100 boats from North America clear through Bermuda every fall and spring. Most of those are independent souls like Tony and Judy who have spent all summer and fall getting Lime’n ready and will set sail when the weather suits them.
Am I reading this correctly? Are these people related to the other Knowles who founded the SDR? And they wouldn't sail in it? And the writer (and their boat partner) seems to be the same Mr. Day (the BWS publisher) that had the quote above and sponsored the SDR - and he wouldn't sail in it either?

Okay - this is getting weird.

Old 12-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg

I totally agree with you, Jon. I just wish the SDR would say the same.
What, so now it's the responsibility of the SDR to issue public pronouncements of disapproval upon every hypothetical passage potentially being undertaken by some newbie out there? :-)

Where, exactly, does the 1500 say that?

Seems to me, the SDR certainly implies what you are insisting they make clear, by limiting participation in their rally to those "experienced sailors" who have "previously completed at least one bluewater passage..."

Quote:
Again, agreed. And this is why I have a problem with the low standard for entry to rallies like the SDR. They're basically telling that newb, "Why, you can! Just join our rally!" That's been my problem with it from the beginning. I think it's somewhat dangerous and irresponsible.
Please, do us all a favor... Show us exactly where they are saying that...

The SDR requires the completion of one previous "bluewater passage"... The 1500 requires the completion of "a 250 mile passage"... Now, without further confirmation of what constitutes a "bluewater passage", sure sounds like the bar is set lower for the 1500, to me...

Quote:
Sounds like you need to start a rally Jon. That one I'd join.
Trust me, I am perhaps one of the least likely candidates on Earth to perform such a 'service'... :-)

A good friend served as the 'Lead Boat' of the Bahamas fleet of the 1500 several years ago, before it was taken over by the WCC...

First words out of his mouth afterwards are not printable here, but they basically amounted to "NEVER AGAIN..." :-)
Old 12-09-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
The SDR requires the completion of one previous "bluewater passage"... The 1500 requires the completion of "a 250 mile passage"... Now, without further confirmation of what constitutes a "bluewater passage", sure sounds like the bar is set lower for the 1500, to me...
The only thing I'll quibble with you on is this^^^

Your statement is plain wrong. Here's what you should have typed:

The SDR requires the completion of one previous "bluewater passage"... The 1500 requires the completion of "a 250 mile passage"... plus...

Quote:
...they require all of the rally boats to carry a minimum quantity and quality of safety and communications equipment, and to have undertaken training in using that equipment, heavy weather sailing techniques, and managing emergencies.
Which bar is lower?
34crealock likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
neilsty (12-15-2013)