Not a Member? 

Like Tree360Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Speaking of which, wasn't it you that put up a pic of a huge freakin' chunk of yak you bought while toodling around Nepal? That was an impressive hors d'ouvre!
Yes, guilty as charged. We prefer to wrap a small snapper in a banana leaf and cook slowly over the Force 8 Kettle. Sometimes even as we sail!

For a Christmas feed we will have clams done up with lemongrass, a few mud crabs and some giant tiger prawns on the Kettle.

Happy Holidays!
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
ISAF regulations forbid the Magma's due to faulty propane connections. They did approve the Force 8 Kettle. Under extensive testing and in concern for crew safety and nourishment, stern mounted meat cooking devices are now required safety devices.
We had a magma and it rattled itself to death on passage in anything over 20kts.

Now have a Aussie made Galleymate.

Apparently you can also use them as an emergency rudder pending ISAF approval.

aeventyr60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Mate, let's throw some shrimp on the rudder!

Good morning Chall. I'm going to bed.

PS - your 4KSB acheiveing 20 knots is truly impressive. Even to a Texan.
chall03 likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-20-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mate, let's throw some shrimp on the rudder!

Good morning Chall. I'm going to bed.

PS - your 4KSB acheiveing 20 knots is truly impressive. Even to a Texan.
You ain't seen nothing until you've seen a Roberts planing......

Old 12-21-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

The gallymate has also been known to be used as an anchor for frustrated CQR users. Extensive testing as a heavy weather para type anchor are currently underway. With a new crop of down under rally goers (sail indonesia) arriving shortly the supply will be endless.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-21-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Just read a great article in SAIL magazine by Peter Nielsen regarding the SDR and C1500. It's called "Group Think". Here's the takeaway:

Quote:
The C1500 organizers, with their European risk-management-style insistence on strict safety protocols, started their rally a day early, on the weather router's advice, to beat the two fronts bearing down on the Chesapeake. The Salty Dawg people, whose rally was founded in response to the rigid safety requirements of the C1500, take a laissez-faire approach that places the onus for preparation and decision-making on the individual skippers. Rightly so, you may say, and I would usually be the first to agree, as the ultimate responsibility for a boat's safety rest squarely on the shoulders of its captain.

But of all the reasons to join a flock of other boats in an organized blue water rally, surely the notion of safety is one of the strongest. I suspect that the passage that lay ahead of the skippers in the Salty Dawg and the C1500 would be the longest most of them had undertaken, and faced with the unfamiliar, there is certainty of comfort in company, and at least the illusion of safety in numbers.
Exactly.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Old 12-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just read a great article in SAIL magazine by Peter Nielsen regarding the SDR and C1500. It's called "Group Think". Here's the takeaway:

Quote:
But of all the reasons to join a flock of other boats in an organized blue water rally, surely the notion of safety is one of the strongest. I suspect that the passage that lay ahead of the skippers in the Salty Dawg and the C1500 would be the longest most of them had undertaken, and faced with the unfamiliar, there is certainty of comfort in company, and at least the illusion of safety in numbers.
Exactly.
Wow, is he really SERIOUS with that last bit?

I don't know, sure sounds pretty wishy-washy, to me... A couple of grand seems a lot to fork over to the WCC in a feel-good concession to the notion of safety, in order to obtain the placebo of comfort of sailing in company, and the pleasant illusion provided in drinking the Safety in Numbers Kool-Aid...

Illusion, or Delusion? What does it matter, right? Hey, whatever it takes to get the reluctant spouse to set sail for Paradise, I suppose... :-)

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what he's getting at, but it sure sounds to me like he's pretty much in agreement with what I wrote here in another thread on rallies over a year ago:

Quote:

In my observation/interaction with offshore rally participants, the primary motivation for plunking down that sort of cash appears to be an effort to assuage the fears of their spouses, and caving into their mistaken belief that there is anything resembling "safety in numbers" during the course of an offshore passage... Simpler to just pay for the Placebo Effect, I suppose, than to acknowledge the simple reality that if you have any real doubts about your ability or confidence to undertake a bluewater passage on your own, well... then you're not ready, PERIOD...

Why pay to sail in a rally?
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 12-21-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Wow, is he really SERIOUS with that last bit?

I don't know, sure sounds pretty wishy-washy, to me...
I guess you'll need to take it up with him. But I think you nailed the problem...it's the "wishy-washy" nature of group think that has to be accounted for in these rallies. And the SDR, it seems, is currently not doing a great job of this IMUSO.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-23-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
But I think you nailed the problem...it's the "wishy-washy" nature of group think that has to be accounted for in these rallies. And the SDR, it seems, is currently not doing a great job of this IMUSO.
So, then... It's the rally that makes it abundantly clear that each skipper is SOLELY responsible for the preparation of his vessel, and the choice of his departure time - and NOT the one that touts the notion that their " ‘experts’ are there to take the pressure off of that decision... to ensure the fleet makes it across the Gulf Stream and into warmer waters in the best possible conditions" - that needs to better address the matter of "GROUP THINK"???

OK, we'll just have to take your word for it, I suppose... :-)
blowinstink likes this.
Old 12-23-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
So, then... It's the rally that makes it abundantly clear that each skipper is SOLELY responsible for the preparation of his vessel, and the choice of his departure time - and NOT the one that touts the notion that their " ‘experts’ are there to take the pressure off of that decision... to ensure the fleet makes it across the Gulf Stream and into warmer waters in the best possible conditions" - that needs to better address the matter of "GROUP THINK"???

OK, we'll just have to take your word for it, I suppose... :-)
Dude - it ain't just me. Have you not gotten that yet? This was from SAIL magazine - and we're seeing the same general "Group Think" and/or "What The Hell?" sentiments elsewhere from guys far more in the know than I. So you're kind of arguing with the wrong dude here.

I can't help it if I've been right all along. It's just my burden to bear.