Not a Member? 

Like Tree390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014

svShearwater is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
S/v shearwater I'm curious about " carry two autopilots". I was under impression once electronics adequately " proofed" carrying another complete drive set up and a rudder angle sensor sufficed. ?do you think this is wrong?
Smack sorry for the hijack.
Certainly step 1 would be to have a second drive unit. That is actually not uncommon for short-handed ocean racers. Step 2 would be just extra insurance carrying a second autopilot computer. Having two completely independent* autopilots that way.

Electronics (autopilot computer) shouldn't fail, but they do. Sometimes it is design or manufacturing defects, sometimes you/we do something stupid like get it wet, connect the wiring wrong and pop something, or drop something on it. None of those are likely, but just in case, other than cost there is no downside to a second autopilot.

*independent except they both need electricity and a working rudder.

There is no perfect solution, just a variety of compromises. My point is that for boats where wind vanes don't make sense. Having a backup autopilot is a reasonable thing to consider and will likely cost less than a new wind vane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, hijack away. It's just a thread.

I'm hoping to meet these guys before they head out for the PacCup.
You going sailing tomorrow? Forecast looks promising. First Icicle race of the year!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Thanks - good advice. Have the raymarine with the big arm. Wish. I got the nke. Would you suggest mix or two of the same?
Have had a monitor and a Fleming on prior boats. Actually liked the Fleming better. But agree if the boat's hull speed is >8kts vanes don't work as well as A.P.s especially down wind in seas. Amazing how in the last couple of years A.P. performance has improved.what size nke do you have?
Find in difficult situations going apparent wind rather then course sometimes makes it work less.

Last edited by outbound; 01-03-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
You going sailing tomorrow? Forecast looks promising. First Icicle race of the year!
We're looking at coming down the next weekend (just got back from vaca and need to give the boys some down time this weekend). I'll let you know.

Are you guys still staying in Austin?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Thanks - good advice. Have the raymarine with the big arm. Wish. I got the nke. Would you suggest mix or two of the same?
Have had a monitor and a Fleming on prior boats. Actually liked the Fleming better. But agree if the boat's hull speed is >8kts vanes don't work as well as A.P.s especially down wind in seas. Amazing how in the last couple of years A.P. performance has improved.what size nke do you have?
Find in difficult situations going apparent wind rather then course sometimes makes it work less.
Our L&S drive is a type 40 for about 15k pounds and a semi-balanced rudder. The pilots top speed is about 12 knots so far. I haven't tried to push beyond that yet, because I find steering fun at those speeds.

I'm not sure there is a single answer for carrying two same or different pilots. On the one hand you could argue that carrying same makes it all very plug and play. However, if you fully install both pilots beforehand it may not make much difference. There is the argument that if one pilot has some sort of defect then switching to a completely different system/brand would be a good thing.

Mostly it is just a budget question. If your budget can swing 2 NKE autopilots, then that is a pretty strong setup. If you have a Raymarine and can swing an NKE now, then again a pretty strong setup with the added complication of two different systems. Certainly two identical Raymarine systems is the easiest and least expensive option. Not a bad option either.

For me, I will go with first adding a second L&S (NKE) drive unit, then a second NKE computer and gyro compass because I want everything to be plug & play and work on the same system (NKE instruments) easily. I think that is more a matter of preference than anything else.

Old 01-04-2014

Thanks.fair winds to you and yours
Old 01-16-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Uh-oh... If only they'd performed an ISAF inspection beforehand... :-)

NARC rally organizer Hank Schmitt, and SAIL magazine editor Charlie Doane were among the crew of 4 who abandoned a $500K 42' catamaran 300 miles east of Norfolk on Tuesday...

City man airlifted off disabled sailboat | SeacoastOnline.com

Old 01-16-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

What makes you think they didn't?

Old 01-16-2014
Last Man Standing

I think this incident might point more to some design evaluation than anything else...

Quote:
The first thing you’ll notice about the Alpha 42’s sleek lines is the reverse angle, wave piercing bows – the first on a production cruising cat. “Reverse bows basically extend the waterline without adding weight and they reduce pitch,” said Tarjan. “Other benefits are a much more comfortable motion at sea and reduced windage. Wave-piercers are also easier to steer and maneuver in waves. I collaborated with Pete Melvin of Morrelli & Melvin for the reverse bows on the 110-foot catamaran that I’m building in collaboration with Wally Yachts [the Aeroyacht 110]. The Alpha 42 is the ‘baby version’ of the 110-footer, and we’ve moved the mast further aft to keep the bows buoyant.”
...and/or the timing and passage choice for such a new boat. As someone said over at SA - having Hull #1 (if that's what it was) abandoned due to something like this is not great marketing.

Here's a link to photos of the build.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2014

We'll never know but sounds like boat was thrown backward with rudders turned or even hard over. Sounds like bent rudder posts. No amount of inspection or other pre voyage activity would change that. Carrying an emergency rudder system might have been of benefit but if bent hard over even an emergency set up would not allow meaningful steerage.
?are there any more details known?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.