Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree378Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Nope...

Not that I know of, anyway... I think rockDAWG is getting all the work, these days :-))

I've got a short trip starting this weekend, and things should begin to pick up around Easter... I hate the years when Easter falls late, that always compresses the schedule, as that it often the last time people plan to spend time on their boat before it comes north...
Well, it's obvious that if you do bring a SDR boat back, you absolutely HAVE to pick me as crew. It would be e-p-i-c.

Heh-heh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Save your money, $2K is a lot to spend for a few parties, free dockage for a few days, and a safety inspection... Buy Bill Seifert's book, instead...

If I'm gonna deliver a boat anywhere, I'd prefer to have it prepped to Seifert's standards, over the ISAF standards, every time...

Offshore Sailing: 200 Essential Passagemaking Tips: William Seifert, Daniel Spurr: 9780071374248: Amazon.com: Books
Looks like a interesting read, thanks for the recommendation will be getting a copy as well.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 04-04-2014

luv4sailin is on a distinguished road

Ha, ha, ha.

Smackdaddy and Jon on a boat together for days?....We'd need dental records to identify their bodies.

Cheers,
Ron
Old 04-05-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sailin View Post
Smackdaddy and Jon on a boat together for days?....We'd need dental records to identify their bodies.
I have confidence in Jon.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-05-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I have confidence in Jon.
So do I. That's why of all the delivery skippers in this thread, he was my pick. He doesn't fold when conditions get sporty.

Old 04-06-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I have confidence in Jon and Dave SVAuspicious concerning passagemaking and weather. I have confidence in Bob Perry on yacht design. I have confidence in outbound's opinion on sleep research.

One of the great things about listservs is the opportunity to correspond with professionals/experts in particular fields of study or experience. Someone can come on this listserv and argue passagemaking with Jon or Dave, yacht design with Bob Perry, sleep physiology with a physician like "outbound", or contract law with me or any of the other lawyers on this listserv. That doesn't mean the lay persons are right, but it does make for good entertainment.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-06-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-06-2014
Last Man Standing

Cool, JW. You hook up with Ausp and we'll turn it into a race. Bob will critique the boat design (which you guys can use as an excuse for losing) - and Out will tell us why we're all so tired when we hit the Chessie...except for Jon...since he will have made me do the majority of the driving.

Then we can get drunk and reenact episodes of Ally McBeal.

Old 04-06-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

The direction of this thread is becoming increasingly frightening...
Old 04-09-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Smack thanks to you and the other contributors this has been a most educational and delightful thread. Thanks to you all.
Still at the end of the day after talking with multiple folks who have done the SDR, now getting back into passage making and having my wife do more significant transits as well as emailing with Herb I hate to tell you Smackie I have every intention to do the SDR next year. (Wife wants to winter in Bahamas this year). Sure crew and the boat with be fully shaken down. Sure I will decide on the departure date taking in to account their weather router but making my own decision. However, I believe as long as you don't fall into the herd mentality the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Just the deals on the satphone and how being part of it eases the logistics make it a great opportunity. I think our fundamental divergence is I believe they make it clear to you that you (not them) are responsible for your decisions and safety. Given that I respectfully believe your objections are not germane. As Jeff Foxworthy says " You can't fix stupid".

P.S.- Can others get in on that race? Can see the headline "Dilettantes Destroy Dedicated Professionals In Do or Die Race"

Last edited by outbound; 04-09-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Smack thanks to you and the other contributors this has been a most educational and delightful thread. Thanks to you all.
Still at the end of the day after talking with multiple folks who have done the SDR, now getting back into passage making and having my wife do more significant transits as well as emailing with Herb I hate to tell you Smackie I have every intention to do the SDR next year. (Wife wants to winter in Bahamas this year). Sure crew and the boat with be fully shaken down. Sure I will decide on the departure date taking in to account their weather router but making my own decision. However, I believe as long as you don't fall into the herd mentality the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Just the deals on the satphone and how being part of it eases the logistics make it a great opportunity. I think our fundamental divergence is I believe they make it clear to you that you (not them) are responsible for your decisions and safety. Given that I respectfully believe your objections are not germane. As Jeff Foxworthy says " You can't fix stupid".

P.S.- Can others get in on that race? Can see the headline "Dilettantes Destroy Dedicated Professionals In Do or Die Race"
Actually, I think that's awesome Out. Make sure to keep a blog of your experience - with the issues at play in this thread in mind. I would love to follow your story and how these issues play out via an actual objective participant.

I assume you do have at least one bluewater passage on your CV? Heh-heh.