Old 04-10-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Yeh- more than one - even some BFSs.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 2 Days Ago

Smack - I know its been some time since anyone looked at this thread. Since then have been doing some serious thinking and have had multiple conversations with experienced cruisers as well as getting info from OBO and SDR. Net result is I respectfully suggest at present if you want to go from New England to the eastern Caribbean the SDR rally remains one of the best options for a cruiser just entering the life full time. Leaving from Newport means a longer sail and more opportunity for weather. Leaving from points far south means headwinds, need to follow the gentleman's path and difficulty arranging crew for the many short passages. The rally and OBO offer supports that other ways of making this passage do not.
I respect your stated opinions about SDR but note given the responsibility for when to leave, who to leave with, and how to prep the boat are and have always been the responsibility of the captain/owner I do not feel your statements were sufficient to dissuade me from joining the fall rally. I sent them the $250. I'm working with Hank to line up crew. You can come visit me in the BVIs this November.
All the best and hope I never post a BFS.
Old 2 Days Ago
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

As I said above, out, you're far more experienced and prepared than a participant that meets their minimum standard. So in that regard, I have absolutely no problem with it (as it if mattered anyway).

Just watch out for those guys that have only "one blue water passage" under their keels. Unlike you, they don't really know what they're getting into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 2 Days Ago at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 1 Day Ago
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Out - I just looked at the website for this year's Rally - and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. So - the rally is still open and "free" to complete greenhorns, but now you have to pay at least $250 to get any of the "benefits"?

Quote:
But, if you want to be able to purchase a Salty Dawg Burgee (available only to members with boats who are currently doing the Rally or have done the Rally) that will entitle you to all of the benefits, discounts and services that comes with the flag as well as all of the free benefits given by the sponsors, you can join as a member.
Safety and experience don't really matter - but mugs and skipper bags will cost you what you could have put into that rudder inspection.

I just have to shake my head. Oh well, there's always the waiver:

Quote:
I recognize that off-shore cruising is an inherently dangerous activity. The risks include injury, loss of property, loss of life. As captain and/or crew on a vessel making an ocean passage, I must have appropriate training and experience.
I certify that I am engaging in this activity understanding the risks and agree that neither the Salty Dawg Rally, nor any of the
organizers, officers, agents or volunteers thereof have or shall have any liability of any nature for any loss, damage, cost or
injury (including death) arising out of my participation in the Salty Dawg Rally, the ocean crossing or any event related
thereto.

I agree to indemnify, save and hold harmless the Salty Dawg Rally, the organizers, officers, agents and volunteers from and
against any claim or liability arising out of my participation in the rally and related events with respect to myself, my crew, my
boat, any other participant or person who may make a claim against the Salty Dawg Rally related to the rally.
I accept the jurisdiction of the Salty Dawg Rally with respect to eligibility, disqualification, or awards.
chrissailorman likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 1 Day Ago at 11:04 PM.
Old 18 Hours Ago

Going me, an experienced captain and two others. Breaks on dockage, sat phone etc. make it worth it. Flying the burgee would be a kick and distinguish me from charter boats in bvi. Having another opinion on weather window is helpful as well.
$250 is short money compared with the other expenses. ? Want to come?
Old 17 Hours Ago
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Going me, an experienced captain and two others. Breaks on dockage, sat phone etc. make it worth it. Flying the burgee would be a kick and distinguish me from charter boats in bvi. Having another opinion on weather window is helpful as well.
$250 is short money compared with the other expenses. ? Want to come?
With you? Hell yes! I'd do it if I could.

It would be a great learning experience - and it would be especially fun to fight off 12 drunken SDRers on the beach who'd been reading all my posts here.

"There's that Smackdaddy bastard! Let's get 'em!"

But alas, I'll be prepping for a very big adventure coming up in January/February. I'll let the cat out of the bag soon as/if everything comes together.
oysterman23 and outbound like this.

Old 17 Hours Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Just watch out for those guys that have only "one blue water passage" under their keels. Unlike you, they don't really know what they're getting into.
You mean, like a significant percentage of the likely entrants in the Caribbean 1500?

Seriously, how can anyone make such a broad assertion? After a single offshore passage, some may have a very good idea what it's about... Others, after several more benign passages, still might not...

Quote:

Safety and experience don't really matter - but mugs and skipper bags will cost you what you could have put into that rudder inspection.

I just have to shake my head. Oh well, there's always the waiver:

Quote:
I recognize that off-shore cruising is an inherently dangerous activity. The risks include injury, loss of property, loss of life. As captain and/or crew on a vessel making an ocean passage, I must have appropriate training and experience.
I certify that I am engaging in this activity understanding the risks and agree that neither the Salty Dawg Rally, nor any of the
organizers, officers, agents or volunteers thereof have or shall have any liability of any nature for any loss, damage, cost or
injury (including death) arising out of my participation in the Salty Dawg Rally, the ocean crossing or any event related
thereto.

I agree to indemnify, save and hold harmless the Salty Dawg Rally, the organizers, officers, agents and volunteers from and
against any claim or liability arising out of my participation in the rally and related events with respect to myself, my crew, my
boat, any other participant or person who may make a claim against the Salty Dawg Rally related to the rally.
I accept the jurisdiction of the Salty Dawg Rally with respect to eligibility, disqualification, or awards.
Just a WAG on my part, but I'll bet the participants in the Caribbean 1500 are compelled to sign a similar waiver, don't you think?

Although, I've gotta wonder why... Hell, with their stringent entry requirements, Safety Inspections, and their "taking all the worry out of choosing a weather window" for the rally fleet, one might think they might demonstrate a bit more Confidence, and wouldn't feel the need to still have to indemnify the organization against liability in such a manner similar to the SDR, no?

:-))

Last edited by JonEisberg; 17 Hours Ago at 04:33 PM.
Old 16 Hours Ago
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Seriously, how can anyone make such a broad assertion? After a single offshore passage, some may have a very good idea what it's about... Others, after several more benign passages, still might not...
Why would any organized rally have such a "broad" requirement for entry? The exact opposite of your above assertion can be, and likely is, more common. And that's exactly the problem.

Look, I know your position and you know mine. All we - and/or the CG - can do now is pray for fair weather and wait. Because it seems the only lesson that has been learned from last year's SDR-debacle is that there's money to be had in this thing.

Old 15 Hours Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Look, I know your position and you know mine. All we - and/or the CG - can do now is pray for fair weather and wait. Because it seems the only lesson that has been learned from last year's SDR-debacle is that there's money to be had in this thing.
LOL! And, the Caribbean 1500 has been run for the past 25 years as a 'Public Service' to cruising sailors, absent any financial interest, their motives as Pure as the Driven Snow?

Damn, who knew? :-)

btw, has it ever been established what lesson, exactly, the organizers of the 1500 "learned", or what changes might have been put into effect, after the death of one of its participants a few years ago?

Last edited by JonEisberg; 15 Hours Ago at 05:45 PM.
Old 12 Hours Ago
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Uhh, you understand the difference between "FREE", and a $1500 'Entry Fee', I presume? :-)
At least this bit of the argument is becoming less of an issue. "FREE" no more. You definitely get what you pay for, eh?

Back in March, I had high hopes that it wouldn't JUST be a money grab:

Quote:
I was checking in to see how the SDR was progressing with their board review of the rescue debacle - and didn't see anything. However, they are looking for more cash!

The Salty Dawg Rally

Quote:
SALTY DAWG RALLY – SUPPORTERS AND MEMBERSHIPS
A note for all Salty Dawgs from rally founders Linda and Bill Knowles, s/v Sapphire:

We would like to thank all the current and past Salty Dawgs, our sponsors, volunteers and everyone who has contributed to the success of the Salty Dawg Rally. We have grown beyond our wildest dreams. We want to make sure the Rally keeps growing, but with growth also comes increased workloads and operating expenses. Our sponsors and many Dawgs have donated lots of benefits to those who have become Dawgs but not enough money to cover the growing expenses...
Obviously, I'm fine with their becoming more like the WCC rallies if they also up the ante on the safety side accordingly.

Maybe that's what their board is really getting at after last year. They're just not specifically laying that out yet. Nothing good is really free, right?
Oh well.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12 Hours Ago at 09:36 PM.