Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

what i find interesting is that it was stated uscg made them scuttle it...they werent even there...navywanted target practice on a hans?? hardly likely.... as there was alleged water ingress with engine use, they ditched and sunk it...perfectly good boat gone ...r i p hans 36. the tagged vessel (hans)was tracked for a few days and what was seen happening while tracking was some air craft and some water craft approached, sunday night, and by monday am, the tracked item was gone. between 0130 and 0500 was the act of scuttlation.. yes i made that word up.
yes i know two teams that were tracking for various reasons, one altruistic, one selfish.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hopefully, one of the para-jumpers came up with the idea that they could be cleaned by trailing them in a mesh bag off the stern for awhile, instead, then simply rinsing them in fresh ?
Maybe. I find getting the salt out takes a prodigious amount of fresh water. I have very few issues with contact dermititus but salty clothes are unpleasant for me. I'd expect a lot of diaper rash or something similar on a small child.

I'm a big fan of ammonia for laundry aboard but I have no experience with washing cloth diapers that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what i find interesting is that it was stated uscg made them scuttle it...they werent even there...
You are likely incorrect. Many Navy warships carry a US Coast Guard officer aboard specifically to take advantage of the customs and border protection powers of the USCG. I don't know that a USCG officer was aboard but given the interdiction missions of surface ships in that AOR I expect there was.

I do expect the Navy CO made the call.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-13-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Maybe. I find getting the salt out takes a prodigious amount of fresh water. I have very few issues with contact dermititus but salty clothes are unpleasant for me. I'd expect a lot of diaper rash or something similar on a small child.

I'm a big fan of ammonia for laundry aboard but I have no experience with washing cloth diapers that way.
Good point, you're probably right... Needless to say, I don't have much experience washing diapers at sea... Or, anywhere else, for that matter :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
You are likely incorrect. Many Navy warships carry a US Coast Guard officer aboard specifically to take advantage of the customs and border protection powers of the USCG. I don't know that a USCG officer was aboard but given the interdiction missions of surface ships in that AOR I expect there was.

I do expect the Navy CO made the call.
At the press conference a few days ago with the Guard unit at Moffett Field, one of the jumpers said that Eric told them pretty much right from the get-go, or shortly after they came aboard and got the baby stabilized, that his plan was to scuttle REBEL HEART, and stay with his family. I believe at that time he still had very limited comms with those organizing the rescue, so I'm guessing that was likely a decision he and his wife arrived at on their own...
Old 04-13-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrosine View Post
Why did the coast guard require they scuttle their boat?
i had that thought, too. i was wondering why it couldn't just be towed back in with the family. i suppose there must be a reason.

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
non taken...it was a mistake to put sailnet...

the point however stands and its the one sidedness and narrowindedness of a lot of the posts, and posters here that prompted me to say such a thing

in any case sorry for the post
perhaps it is the seeming hostility of some of the posts that inspired it? civil discussion is almost always a benefit but when people get emotional and it turns to bickering....not so much.

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thanks for posting. It's more fact that we've heard in days. My hat goes off to those guys, they are the real deal.

My take away. The parents thought their child was fully recovered and when they learned she wasn't, they were willing to sacrifice everything to get her help. Their home did not need to be abandon for any other reason.

Perhaps I would not have made the same decision to take my young children on that voyage, but I respect their right to make that decision. I have the same respect for them making the hard call to save their daughter.

As for them paying for the rescue, that's just not in the cards. It isn't the deal. While I would support some kind of mandatory safety training or possibly inspection to entitle you to a free rescue, I do not think everyone should pay for their own. If not for the adventurous spirit of mankind, we would wither.

well, i , personally, think that, living in a country that is very much a welfare state...where we are willing to carry people without their having to even try to work or control their birth rate...where so many people would say you are an evil monster if you suggested putting the brakes on the welfare machine at all...it is amazing that anyone could suggest these people should have to pay for their rescue. unwed mothers, with kids by multiple, absent fathers could easily be said to be acting irresponsibly by not practicing birth control when they know they can't afford more kids...but, you don't hear anyone saying they should pay their welfare back. in fact, the overnment says, "keep popping them out. we'll send you more money."

why is it that we are ok to carry some people, who purposely and repeatedly make obvious irresponsible decisions, but, we want to nail others, whose decisions are completely debatable either way ( and certainly not made with the intention of requiring public aid ), to the wall?

am i the only one that sees an ironic contradiction, there?

1971 Cal 27

The Following User Says Thank You to captain jack For This Useful Post:
SOVT (04-17-2014)
Old 04-14-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i had that thought, too. i was wondering why it couldn't just be towed back in with the family. i suppose there must be a reason.
Perhaps you missed one plausible reason already alluded to?

Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico
Old 04-14-2014

ravinracin is on a distinguished road

Way off subject C Jack, but California aggressively goes after absent fathers where the mother receives welfare. I have had to withhold money from employees pay for years and send to the state welfare dept. Get the facts Jack, you sound like a silver spoon boy. With such a massive amount of my tax dollars going into defense, the military out to be out here mowing my lawn, (at the least), or fixing my streets, or doing a little gratis rescue work! Welfare is a big problem in this country, but the biggest recipient is corporate America.
Old 04-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Perhaps you missed one plausible reason already alluded to?

Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico
actually, you are right. i haven't gotten that far, yet, in the thread. been playing catch up as i could. that does make sense. still, not sure why they had to sink it. it's certainly less of a navigation hazzard than some of the big shipping containers.

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-14-2014

boroko is on a distinguished road

At night you don't see stuff until you are almost on top of it. Less in bad conditions. If I was crossing that patch of ocean I would feel better knowing Rebel Heart was scuttled.