Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

The champagne is part of a larger picture which is revealing as to what really was going on out there. As a Dad to a 4 year old, I cannot fathom thinking to dig to the bottom of the bilge to secretly pack up and carry a heavy bottle of champagne, when I have responsibility for two small kids to safely abandon a sailboat and make the transfer on the open ocean to a navy vessel.

At the same time, clearly space is at a premium.

Quote:
How do you tell your three year old that you are not, indeed, going to the South Pacific, but instead are awaiting rescue, in whatever form that may come, and that they can pick two toys to go into the bags we packed
Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog - Overwhelmed, Shocked,*Saddened
But this is just par for the course for these two on this passage.

Quote:
When Cora woke up this morning she asked for some of the treat I was making last night because she had smelled it baking as she fell asleep. I lied and told her we ate it up; all the while, the rest of the cake sat on the counter by the dish rack, just waiting for Eric and I to devour it this evening with a cup of coffee, in silence, once the girls were asleep.
Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog - Pacific Crossing ? Day 13, March 31,*2014
Quote:
Eric and I look forward to two moments each day, Lyra’s nap, and the kids’ bed time. Lyra’s nap means either I can nap too, or Eric if he needs it more. Or it means we can get stuff done, since Cora doesn’t need constant supervision, or it means we can put Cora in front of a movie in the cabin, and we can go up to the cockpit for adult time. I will let you be the judge of what adult time means. After Lyra’s nap, we try hard not to look at the hours tick by until bed time.
Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog - Pacific Crossing ? Day 11, March 29,*2014

Now, why is this relevant? Because they were out there for all the wrong reasons to begin with. They were not taking the kids on an adventure. The kids were along for the ride, and a very uncomfortable and dangerous one at that. The kids were just characters in this reality TV type story that the parents were trying to live in order to blog about it and then write a book.
miatapaul and smackdaddy like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to caberg For This Useful Post:
Aloha27 (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Having wasted an hour reading this, I come to the conclusion that probably 80% of posters here (I suspect mostly older gentleman) have no idea what a blog is, or is for.....
chall03 and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2014
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Old 05-28-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I come to the conclusion that probably 80% of posters here (I suspect mostly older gentleman) have no idea what a blog is, or is for.....
Conversely, I would imagine 80% of the sailing blogs are written by older gentleman or their partners.
Old 05-28-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

arent blogs money makers? most of them?

it would seem as eric pointed out that much of the stuff posted cannot be taken as fact or in stone if you will

so I dont really understand the massive amount of quoters of erics blog here and using that to make a point...its a fools errand as he says

I have mentioned in the past that Im a new father, my first born is 9 months old...without being biased and or critical I think that Im not ready at all to take my kid out or my wife for that matter

yes around the bay, and local waters but no even remotely close to say being out of sight of land

it will take a looooong time for that to ever happen unfortunately...but that doesnt mean someday it wont happen

if it does....on whatever boat I may have at that time(maybe not my current one although its perfect for that)its obvous Ill be doing my damdest to make the boat as ready and myself(im a bit rusty since my offshore days) to get back in shape and safe and ready...

however im fully aware that even with my past experience that crap can hit the fan in a second...an even the most prepared boat out there is just a tiny speck of glass or steel or wood, thats on borrowed time from the gods if you will...

people who dont realize will ge a good dose of humble pie as we all have at some point in our offhshore careers or experience if you will...

in any case

I just wish these guys well like I would anyody that has experienced something like this, get back on track and be done with it...

thats not to say there arent any unsafe mariners out there who dont give a crap....

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Conversely, I would imagine 80% of the sailing blogs are written by older gentleman or their partners.
Yes, I would agree. I think that few of them are able to gain traction or traffic. Those that do tend to be written by younger people. The concept of a "successful" blog is one that is able to do this, and you do it by having copy that is readable, not always accurate (in the objective investigative reporting sense)

Another characteristic of "successful" blogs is the untarnished thoughts of the blogger. Think Dooce. But untarnished musings is not the same as representative thinking. Life one quote from a blog from something that was posted late one night and you might as well be convinced Fox News or MSNBC is balanced reporting.

There, I made age-ist AND political off the cuff remarks in the same reply, beat that!

/firmlydonstinfoilhat

Latest blog post:
Old 05-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
arent blogs money makers? most of them?
Good grief no. To be able to even pay your mortgage takes 20 hours of blogging a week and 1000 visitors a day. 99.99% of blogs don't come close to that.

Latest blog post:
Old 05-28-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

well I guees it was a stretch...I have a blogger friend down here who makes money off of saying whats on her mind every day

about fashion

anywhoo

my point was blogs are sometimes embellished for publicity sake

cheers

Old 05-28-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
it would seem as eric pointed out that much of the stuff posted cannot be taken as fact or in stone if you will
If that is the case then I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with people who question the veracity of the events leading to the demise of RH. It would then seem RH is reaping what they have sown.

Quote:
I have mentioned in the past that Im a new father, my first born is 9 months old...without being biased and or critical I think that Im not ready at all to take my kid out or my wife for that matter
Good on ya. That has been one of my contentions all along. It would seem you have a bit more experience then RH so I would think that has aided in your view.

It appears that Mrs. RH had sailed 1500nm up to the end of Nov. 2013 and those miles were mostly composed of short trips to move the boat. For owning the boat 7-8 years that is a lot of dock time. It also appears she was more of a passenger rather then an active participant.

My point is this they left on an ocean crossing with what is effectively a passenger and a toddler and a baby with one person operating the boat. This is not singlehanding but singlehanding multiplied exponentially that would be trying even for the most experienced sailor. Why they did not take on an experienced offshore sailor I don't know. It would have likely saved their boat and a lot of heartache.

Quote:
I think that few of them are able to gain traction or traffic. Those that do tend to be written by younger people.
Not too sure about that. I don't read that many blogs but the ones I do tend to be older more experienced folks that appear to have a fair amount of readership.
Old 05-28-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

I dont know exactly how eric got his captains license...from my post above I got mine when I was barely 21...after having sailed all the pacific both coastal, caribean side of central america and up to ft.lauderdale... and to french polinesia....and beyond...

I was the youngest in my class and was with those that had a lot of experience..in fact most of them had less experience then me as I grew up sailing in the med off spain and had been around boats all my life

in the end...my last post was idicative of my conservative nature...not my experience as after that I went on to cruise the indian, red sea, and others almost complete a full circumnav with the exception of the atlantic

so my post was simply stressing how different people react to different situations...Im very conservative when cruising or going offshore...but I also can be a hooligan on a hobie or dinghy racing etc...

sailors are different

so Im not critical or bashing eric or rebel heart because I feel for them naturally more than I feel the need to criticise and scrutinize them eternally

I feel the endless rants of guys on here and almost ridicule is sometimes cause of inexperience and having not done it themselves...

I know for a fact some here have just started sailing...or started at a later age...and are some of the most vociferous on here....its just the way it is....

I guess in the end Im agreeing with a few on here who look at this as a mistake or series of mistakes that lead to this...but by no means is it unnormal if you will or a special case etc...

there are many many many many boats that do the pacific puddle jump after just hopped down the coast of california and mexico for the first time and do just fine...

without eons of experience...so it just goes to show that experiences are different for all of us

peace
chall03 and copacabana like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.