Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2014

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Yes, I would agree. I think that few of them are able to gain traction or traffic. Those that do tend to be written by younger people. The concept of a "successful" blog is one that is able to do this, and you do it by having copy that is readable, not always accurate (in the objective investigative reporting sense)

Another characteristic of "successful" blogs is the untarnished thoughts of the blogger. Think Dooce. But untarnished musings is not the same as representative thinking. Life one quote from a blog from something that was posted late one night and you might as well be convinced Fox News or MSNBC is balanced reporting.

There, I made age-ist AND political off the cuff remarks in the same reply, beat that!

/firmlydonstinfoilhat
Blogs have to be better than just readable to gain an audience. Good writing, that's what hooks me. You can tell immediately the writer has spent time thinking, editing, re-editing and generally cutting out all the stuff I don't need to read.

Then the great blogger has skill and artistic talent with other image and or video media. They edit there too. Suddenly, I'm hooked.

Most blogs are just barfing on the keyboard. There, I insulted bloggers of all ages.

Beat that!
christian.hess likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I guess in the end Im agreeing with a few on here who look at this as a mistake or series of mistakes that lead to this...but by no means is it unnormal if you will or a special case etc...
I agree mistakes are forgivable on the water but in this instance the mistakes were made prior to departure. That is where I have a problem. I have no issues with them calling for a rescue given their situation at the time. I do take exception of their being in the situation in the first place. It appears their approach to some aspects to the crossing was cavalier which jeopardised their children. Their decisions also put the rescuers in harms way.

Quote:
there are many many many many boats that do the pacific puddle jump after just hopped down the coast of california and mexico for the first time and do just fine...
Just because it has been done does not mean it should be done. I would also say the majority of these boats did not have a crew composition similiar to RH. RH rolled the dice and they lost.
chall03 and lowtide like this.
Old 05-28-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
RH had the confidence to make the decision to cross an ocean but lacked the experience to make it across.
This is about as well-stated as it can possibly be.
chall03 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-28-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree mistakes are forgivable on the water but in this instance the mistakes were made prior to departure. That is where I have a problem. I have no issues with them calling for a rescue given their situation at the time. I do take exception of their being in the situation in the first place. It appears their approach to some aspects to the crossing was cavalier which jeopardised their children. Their decisions also put the rescuers in harms way.

Just because it has been done does not mean it should be done. I would also say the majority of these boats did not have a crew composition similiar to RH. RH rolled the dice and they lost.

we will never really know...and I will avoid making more comments based on what few facts we do have...

respecting all parties thoughts on the matter

happy sailing
chall03 likes this.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-28-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is about as well-stated as it can possibly be.
Thanks Smack - might have been one of those rare and fleeting moments of lucidity. Back into the fog now.
Old 05-28-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I agree mistakes are forgivable on the water but in this instance the mistakes were made prior to departure.
I actually think you were slightly more right in that statement. In other words he had the confidence to leave, but not the experience to realise that maybe he shoudn't of.

Quote:
RH rolled the dice and they lost.
While a different roll of the dice and maybe they would be sitting under a palm tree now, everytime you leave the dock you roll the dice and the point if to try and keep the odds in your favour.

The hull and deck issue, regardless of what role it actually played in the end was a big roll of the dice. Do we know whether they did ever have Rebel Heart surveyed??

I also believe choosing to do that passage as their first major passage was to me the biggest roll of the dice. I am surpirsed there hasn't been more discussion about their route choice? They did make it 800nm. If they had tried Panama to Galapagos they would of gotten there (battered and bruised). They also arguably would have had more favourable winds, better suiting a slow vessel with limited motoring range. Distance wise they basically completed the Salty Dawg Rally So 800nm is nothing to be sniffed at, unless of course you still have 1800nm to go

I think the lesson to be learn't is don't bet against the house.
christian.hess likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Last edited by chall03; 05-28-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2014

they also would of cruised the coast if central america more, got more experience...a little rough weather over tehuantepece, some papagayos and nortes in el salvador and costa rica and experienced the rich weather patterns off panama...in panama they could of provisiones, reffitted worked on the boat and hoped over to perlas, then off to galapagos...etc...

20/20 hindsight though

the trip to galapagos is no joke...some seasons or if you leave to early its a beat, make very little progress against current and wind and many limp back to panama only to leave at a later date...

my friends had this happen to them the first time...

peace

Old 05-29-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
they also would of cruised the coast if central america more, got more experience...a little rough weather over tehuantepece, some papagayos and nortes in el salvador and costa rica and experienced the rich weather patterns off panama...in panama they could of provisiones, reffitted worked on the boat and hoped over to perlas, then off to galapagos...etc...

20/20 hindsight though

the trip to galapagos is no joke...some seasons or if you leave to early its a beat, make very little progress against current and wind and many limp back to panama only to leave at a later date...

my friends had this happen to them the first time...

peace
True.

This is all hindsight, Panama to Galapagos and they may have been smashed by an entirely different scenario.

Like you said plenty of cruisers with limited experience do seem to make the passage they attempted as their first offshore outing without issue.

While it strikes me as a long way, and a struggle until you hit the trades, we really haven't properly researched Pacific routing in detail and I may be off base here, as we still have the other three quarters of the world to worry about first

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 05-29-2014

are you talking about the route I just mentioned or leaving straight from mexico?

the pacific puddle jump for example by latitude uses 2 or 3 ports or countries of departure

either around pv, mexico or panama and or any central american country, however the facilities and help is in mexico and panama for paperwork...thats the reason most use the puddle jump as it helps with papwerwork ,save you money on the bond french polinesia require among other things...

now having said that

the pacific coast of central america has winds...but they are fluky and if you are near the coast you can count on 4-6 hours of steady winds from noon to around 6pm after that they can die...pick up or do whatever they feel like we would always look at the sunset with very light winds...depending on the time of year at midnight they would pick up again till dawn when the sum comes up and dies right after it comes up...then picking up again around 11am noon...

during "winter" or our dry season here from november till april or so you get northers...which are fresh winds coming from the carribean...you can count on these however its nothing like trade wind sailing

for getting to panama its always using the engine...all the coast...

once in panama and leaving for perlas you get for the most part winds and currents against you except on those months that its an easy trip, forget, something like april or a few months ago cant rememeber what month when we did it...

you can get to galapagos easily in a week or less or take much longer...we motored more than half the trip...

after galapagos it takes 3 or 4 days to get into the good trades...after the first week its steady all the way to hiva oa...or you can go way down to tuamotos etc...

all I can say for sure is that central american cruising close to shore is anything but steady sailing...ts flucky often with no wind for days...then you get awesome sailing from the north winds and can make good time

a trip straight to panama can be as short as 4 days from el salvador, if you get the right wind...

anywhoo

Old 05-29-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Blogs have to be better than just readable to gain an audience. Good writing, that's what hooks me.
You might be in the minority!

Katy Perry has 53 million followers on twitter, I don't think it's because of the excellent grammar

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post: