Like Tree532Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think all you've proven here is that if you want to take young children on an extended voyage - you should do it on a cat. Anything else, like a "traditional bluewater boat", is just irresponsible parenting.
The Bumfuzzles might agree with you on this point.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
This just in...

Another crazy family trying to cross the Pacific with young kids.
In such cramped, horrible conditions and such a difficult arduous trip.

Ohhhhhh the humanity. The poor miserable souls. Someone should get those kids into the back of a KIA and off to the mall for their own safety and sanity.....

Crossing the Pacific Low Res on Vimeo

Before someone points out the obvious, yes there are several things these guys did differently to Rebel Heart.

However it is nice to see an alternative perspective and for those thinking of cruising with kids this helps to balance the worry and negativity that has surrounded Rebel Heart.
This is a perfect example of someone doing it right. Just about every issue that people had with RH is dealt with. Children are older. They actively cruised the Caribbean before going off shore. The boat is properly prepared and they have 2 extra crew to make for reasonable watch schedules. I don't really see any comparison. I think what Field Trip is doing is great "were going to French Polynesia" with the loli-pops is classic. Of course they are in a catamaran so they are sure to flip at any moment.
chall03, lowtide and smackdaddy like this.
Old 06-03-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Of course they are in a catamaran so they are sure to flip at any moment.
I hope to be the piranha that tastes first blood on that thread. Hehe....

Seriously though, why do all these threads change from "what we can learn" to a "judgementfest"? I vote for insecurity on the part of us who want to do it too. We feel safe judging them for their errors and our plans are threatened by their poor outcome. To judge too harshly and dismiss what they have done wrong as things that we would never do wrong is missing the opportunity to learn from their experience IMHO.

MedSailor
christian.hess likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 06-03-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
Very few places in the Northern Hemisphere, even most of Alaska, are so remote that emergency medical care is more than 12 (or, at most, 24) hours away; a boat well off-shore being one huge exception. Perhaps you either don't have kids, or if you do you (and they) are lucky enough that you haven't seen just how fast an infant/toddler can develop a life-threatening illness. Believe me, witnessing such is no fun; even with and ER just a short car ride away. I can't imagine waiting days for help to arrive while I watched any small child, particularly my own child, getting closer to death with every passing moment.

If any of you think that such a risk is worth not having to postpone the adventure for a few years, fine. But how can an infant or toddler make an informed decision about such risks?
I live in Alaska in remote areas. This statement is incorrect. MOST of Alaska does fit this description. No access at all by road or water. Emergency services (IE: Flight rescues) are not available in many places and were defunded about 5 years ago. Just watch what you say when you don't know. This same criticism is aimed at folks that live in remote villages with no police, fire or medical services.

EDIT: And as I should know better I will avoid this thread in the future. Silly me.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 06-03-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This is a perfect example of someone doing it right. Just about every issue that people had with RH is dealt with. Children are older. They actively cruised the Caribbean before going off shore. The boat is properly prepared and they have 2 extra crew to make for reasonable watch schedules
Yep, Yep, Yep Yep and Yep.

And they had a wading pool and lollipops

I love the Antares. Yes it is big, expensive, has too many hulls and will flip but what a nice boat.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Last edited by chall03; 06-04-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2014

B.J. Porter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to B.J. Porter

Quote:
This is a perfect example of someone doing it right. Just about every issue that people had with RH is dealt with. Children are older. They actively cruised the Caribbean before going off shore. The boat is properly prepared and they have 2 extra crew to make for reasonable watch schedules. I don't really see any comparison. I think what Field Trip is doing is great "were going to French Polynesia" with the loli-pops is classic. Of course they are in a catamaran so they are sure to flip at any moment.
We spent some time with Field Trip in the Caribbean. I don't know the Rebel Heart folks but did spend some time talking with Mark about our mutual plans. They seemed prepared and yes the kids are older and that does make a difference.

I've said before if I was to cruise with babies/toddlers it would be island hopping the Caribbean until they are older then head off shore.

Sailing offshore with teenagers...that is like having your own extra adults.
chall03 likes this.

Old 06-04-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J. Porter View Post

Sailing offshore with teenagers...that is like having your own extra adults.
not my teenagers! I doubt they could make it 3 days!
Old 07-09-2014

h20man is on a distinguished road

And the saga continues... they are filing a lawsuit:

"The Kaufmans are suing the makers of the satellite phone they used to call their doctor, saying the reason they had to activate an emergency beacon is because the phone stopped working and they were unable to get full instructions on how to treat their daughter."
Old 07-09-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Lawsuit? Nice.

The phone caused deck rot and water intrusion?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-09-2014 at 11:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
lowtide (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014

h20man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Lawsuit? Nice.

10News Interview: Eric and Charlotte Kaufman - YouTube

The phone caused deck rot and water intrusion?
Sure.... as the constant use of the phone previously was detrimental to his brain, causing his CPD* symptoms..... that let him decide that the boat was seaworthy....

*CPD: "Cognitive Processing Disorder"