Like Tree532Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Well that CF thread lasted maybe 10 minutes longer than I thought it would.

So who is going to help me sue Apple??

I just used google maps to try and find the local pizza place and it was way off. We damn well near starved to death.

Tell me about it... Pizza Hut gave me directions assuming I was in my boat... I drove right into Lake Flower...
chall03 likes this.

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2014

lowtide is on a distinguished road

We are all so lucky that Eric and Charlotte have made this sacrifice for us. The only reason they are suing is to make the satphone world safe for the rest of us.

As Moon Unit Zappa said in the song; gag me with a spoon.

He should also sue the HF radio maker, for not making it watertight, and Elmer's wood filler for not telling him not to use it for boat repair.

Too bad he can't sue the Mexican Physician, but they don't put up with such nonsense.

Shakespeare gave the best legal advice ever.

'
Old 07-12-2014

h20man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Well that CF thread lasted maybe 10 minutes longer than I thought it would.

So who is going to help me sue Apple??

I just used google maps to try and find the local pizza place and it was way off. We damn well near starved to death.
Regarding the thread... I am surprised that it was closed... not deleted...

There was so much pro RH that people were ignoring all else....

Regarding suing Apple for a defect in google maps.... RH has done the legwork. Use his 'lawyer'. But first we need to start the stories about your hospitalization due to the starvation ... and did you also total your old car? You should sue to get an RV (with full oven and freezers so you can have pizza so this will NEVER happen again...) and make sure it is class action, as I want a new car/RV as well... and a driver... so this will never happen to me.....
Old 07-12-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtide View Post
He should also sue the HF radio maker, for not making it watertight, and Elmer's wood filler for not telling him not to use it for boat repair.

Too bad he can't sue the Mexican Physician, but they don't put up with such nonsense.

Shakespeare gave the best legal advice ever.

'
Maybe he should also sue Bob Perry?? I mean if the boat broached then clearly it is also faulty ?
As for the leaks....well if it was made of steel then things would have been different

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 07-12-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2014
arrgh!

sue the sea

she's an evil mistress

Vector X + Y
Old 07-13-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

I have zero experience with sat phones so I looked at the Iridium website. I looked at the first rugged sat phone that caught my eye and under the "overview" description of the phone I saw this:

"Rugged and reliable

The Iridium 9555 is engineered to withstand rugged environments, so customers can depend on it as a critical lifeline wherever need takes them."

In my opinion that is a pretty strong and confident statement and I feel the company should be held accountable for it. If the phone is that tough and reliable, then so should the service that is required for the phone to function. I don't think the loss of that phone caused the loss of that boat, but if his particular phone was advertised similar to the statement I quoted above and it was simply a matter of the company disrupting a "critical lifeline" that they themselves advertised, then I believe that company should be held accountable.
Old 07-13-2014
arrgh!

I am losing track of what everyone has said.. in and out of this thread... but I thought the first problem with the phone was they were suppose to install a new chip, that --- after they had gone to sea --- had been mailed out. And that after their phone call the company switched over to the new chip.

that is, it wasn't a matter if the phone was workable or rugged, but because un-functional

Vector X + Y
Old 07-13-2014

lowtide is on a distinguished road

Truth in Advertising? You're kidding right?

I guess we should sue Tony the Tiger if our Frosted Flakes aint frosty enough. Damn cat told me they were GREAT!

Seriously, if you consider something a critical lifeline, and you are headed offshore, you should have two of them, especially if it involves electricity in any way. If it involves third parties, like a service provider, you make sure everything is paid and set for months ahead. If you're not sure if a new card had been mailed, you make damn sure. You have to treat it like it is a critical lifeline beforehand, if you want to claim it later. You can't say "it is a critical lifeline" and "I just assumed it would work" in the same breath offshore.

The chain of events that was critical didn't involve the child or the satphone, and could have killed them all; no electricity = no watermaker = no water = :x

The medical issues at worst sped up the inevitable, what damage is there in that?

While doing laundry yesterday a woman overheard that we were cruisers and immediately asked what I thought about this story she had seen on TV. Her view was that it was OK to cruise with kids as long as you're prepared. I agreed with that 100%, but it took about 90 seconds for her to shake her head in disbelief when she heard just a bit of the story. A random woman, with a pre-placed belief that it was OK to cruise with kids, concluded they were not prepared in under 2 minutes. Might take 3 minutes if some Jurors are hard headed. If I had been able to show her photos, it would have been over faster than that.

No need to Depose anyone, they have already testified against themselves sufficiently,then tried to scrub it, all preserved by the Internet Archive. Cross examination of the Plaintiffs would be so much fun it could go on for days,and include the phrase "you told us this, but in your blog dated....." over and over.

Even if Iridium were assigned some small percentage of the responsibility, no reputable Marine Surveyor is going to assign much value to that boat in that condition. That leaves the bottom line at pocket change, even if Iridium went to trial and lost.

If we know all of this, the Attorney does, so Eric does, so this is just another run at the news and the talk shows, another 15 minutes, and more run up to a book.

'
Old 07-13-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Tony the Tiger told the truth. Frosted Flakes are indeed frosty and yes, they are great! I've never read or heard that they are the frostiest flakes on the planet but they are frosty enough to be called frosty. Let's not get ridiculous here. Yes, I think the public expects truth in advertising. If a new chip needed to be installed, there should be plenty of notice given. I don't know how much advance notice they got, or even if they actually received it before they departed. Given the fact that those sat phones are used in remote locations not quickly or easily reached, something I'm sure the company is aware of, I would think that they would ask for some sort of confirmation of receipt or allow a generous amount of time to elapse prior to disabling the phone. Sure, it was RH's responsibility to ensure the integrity of his communications. I'm not saying it wasn't, nor am I insinuating that the phone company is libel for his entire loss. I'm merely saying that when a company makes statements like that in it's advertising it should bear the responsibility to make sure they can back it up. If your customer base is comprised of people who spend extensive amounts of time out of reach of conventional communications, then your customer service should allow for that. Telling someone that a cereal is great is rather subjective. Telling someone they can depend on your phone as a critical lifeline? That sounds much less subjective and more like a promise.

Last edited by Dean101; 07-13-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
I'm merely saying that when a company makes statements like that in it's advertising it should bear the responsibility to make sure they can back it up.
When the customer publicly states prior to a voyage that sat phone reliability is poor and shouldn't be relied on for emergency communications...and that he wouldn't have one except that he needed it for work purposes...

...and that customer then sues the company because the phone wasn't operable when he wanted to use it in an emergency situation...

...does that mean the customer is now saying he was relying on it for emergency communications...

...even though he knew it to be unreliable?

Huh?