Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Eric cut a hose in the head and it SANK. whether it sank by being scuttled or not is irrelevant. It sunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Eric cut a hose in the head and it SANK. whether it sank by being scuttled or not is irrelevant. It sunk.
I'm not making a huge case out of it, but I think there is a distinction between a boat that sunk on its own and one that was scuttled. The former may imply damage, the latter a volunteer abandonment.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-07-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not making a huge case out of it, but I think there is a distinction between a boat that sunk on its own and one that was scuttled. The former may imply damage, the latter a volunteer abandonment.
Insurance would probably make a huge case out of it....

Med

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-08-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

EMTs (Basic) can administer a few drugs, depending upon the rules of their jurisdiction and under medical direction. I recall practicing injections was one of the things my son did when he trained to be an EMT. What's allowed to be administered is limited, with more options typically with higher levels of training (intermediate, paramedic). For an example, here in NM EMT-basics can administer the Narcan antidote to drug users suffering a heroin/opiate overdose, and I believe New York has a pilot program now to allow their EMT-Basics to do the same. Scope of practice will vary with an EMT's locale and other circumstances.
Old 08-08-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

From what I gather from the interviews, this was not an injection. It was an oral syringe.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-08-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When someone states that the family should repair the boat and be on their way, it makes no difference.

Context is everything.
Old 08-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
When someone states that the family should repair the boat and be on their way, it makes no difference.

Context is everything.
I acknowledged that in my first reply to you. Yes, they can't fix the boat.

Context was my point. The context of dinghygoddess was they should get back out there. They had to abandon their boat to save their kid, they didn't drive it to the bottom of the ocean. Encouraging them to get back aboard is reasonable. I would not encourage them to make that passage under those circumstances again. But, as I've said before, that is exclusively their decision to make.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-09-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I acknowledged that in my first reply to you. Yes, they can't fix the boat.

Context was my point. The context of dinghygoddess was they should get back out there. They had to abandon their boat to save their kid, they didn't drive it to the bottom of the ocean. Encouraging them to get back aboard is reasonable. I would not encourage them to make that passage under those circumstances again. But, as I've said before, that is exclusively their decision to make.
Thankfully, I don't think this family will be getting "back out there" any time soon. I mean, sorta hard to testify from the middle of the Pacific. That lawsuit and all.

I have no problem at all with cruising families. There are some great cruising families out there and the kids are having amazing upbringings.

I guess the Kaufman family could be completely misunderstood. But from what is publicly available, these folks had no business being in the middle of the Pacific with two small kids aboard. If you don't see that, then maybe you haven't read enough. It's pretty obvious.
Old 08-09-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

They should have allowed the boat to drift. They could have left the anchor light on for a good long time, and even a tracker, so the boat could be recovered.

Old 08-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
.....If you don't see that, then maybe you haven't read enough. It's pretty obvious.
This is the problem I have with this discussion. It makes no difference what I see or what you see (despite the condescending tone). The decision to get back out there is theirs alone to make.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.