Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree537Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

I would think twice about taking very young children on an offshore voyage because of all the reasons cited by folks here but that would by my decision. It was their decision to sail and theirs alone. They took a risk which was theirs alone to take. Most meaningful things involve risk. I hope they can get their boat back and continue their journey, one most will never experience.
captain jack likes this.
captain jack (04-13-2014)
Old 04-08-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

they can get their boat back by using divers and such, if there is anything left after the navy sunk it. but i think the water may be a tad deep for effective salvage there.

as for taking kids sailing...many many many have done this successfully., sailing is GOOD for kids.
most dont suffer the conditions endured by this family...dad pushing boat hard despite momma being seasick and a kid with relapsing salmonella.
so..wanna avoid this ... try buying tossaway diapers, so you dont have to wash cloth ones while puking in the sink in galley with em
try not cross contaminating your entire boat with feces and puke. what is TOUCHED is contaminated. ok...... now stick a 1 yr old with already diagnosed salmonella into the mix.
doesnt matter the doctor sed ok to sail. these are BAD combo iff you wish to continue a successful trip..oh yes, and dad.. WHEN your family is drastically ill, DONT be thinking you need to hurry to the trade winds for personal satisfaction... pushing sea sick wife and bowel sick kid in a boat for your enjoymnent is not cruising . it is torture and bullying of family.
we are NOT on schedules in this lifestyle.
summary...poppa pushed his sick family past the limit and hopefully learned to not do that, but personalities in this case may preclude learning.
i hope the lesson was effective.
sorry. there is no excuse for driving so hard you deliberately make spouse ill KNOWING full well she is gonna be so.
sail with family ...yes and do NOT forget courtesy to your loved ones when your sails are full and you are flying..who is puking.......
good thing i dont get seasick, but also good thing i dont have a seasick family with seasick history.

medical kits are great..especially if you know how to use em. if you dont..why bother with it.
learn how to use the med kit, dont just stock it into boat and forget about it.
travlineasy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 04-08-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

The reason for my view on this is, again, the non-stop nature of that 3500-mile passage. Over a month at sea with no respite for the little ones? That's pretty gnarly...especially for the first significant hop.

Apart from that, I'm all for taking kids on big adventures.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-08-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Problems like these are rare but they seem quite common now with todays media.
Yes! If you watch the media too much, you'll start to think that winning the lottery is a common occurrence as well! The media is in the business of showing us stuff that we don't see every day, so that we'll keep watching (their adds). If they showed us boring happy voyages of nuclear families on boats, or people holding loosing lottery tickets, they couldn't sell adds. So, they show us the one and a million over and over. If we, the viewers, aren't careful, we start to shape our world view based on these "experiences" that we're not actually having. Our brain starts to think that air travel is unsafe, that sexual predators are around every corner, and that the lottery is actually something we can win...

Travilineasy made a good point that the amount of medical BS that is flowing from various sources is huge. I've heard salmonella, an upper respiratory infection with THREE antibiotics, and now I've heard of a heart problem? I'd say we R-E-A-L-L-Y don't know much of what happened yet from the medical side. I think it's clear from the comms, steering, and leaking reports, that we don't yet know jack about the sailing part either.

Also, I would disagree again about healthy kids being at risk of going downhill fast at any time. I also wouldn't advise someone who wants an objective opinion on the subject to "ask any parent." How about ask a doctor? Or ask someone with a masters in public health? Parents panic and bring their kids into the ER every day. I'm sure many of them think that we "saved them" in the ER, but likely we didn't. Even if we did, that rare experience will likely color their view of child-rearing.

MedSailor
captain jack and Steady Hand like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

another update:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Old 04-08-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post

By your logic alot of travel, camping, in fact visiting anywhere that does have firstclass medical facilitates accessible 24/7 is an unacceptable risk? ...
Did I say that? No.

However, intentionally putting very young children in a situation where any real medical care is likely to be more than a day away is unconscionable, IMHO.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 04-08-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

And it makes the New York Times: 2 Tots, a Sailboat and a Storm Over Parenting
Old 04-08-2014

okawbow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
Did I say that? No.

However, intentionally putting very young children in a situation where any real medical care is likely to be more than a day away is unconscionable, IMHO.
What a ridiculous statement! About 75% of the world lives more than a day from "real" medical care. With that statement as a guide; we certainly shouldn't ever let our children ride in cars. A trip to Grandma's is more likely to cause harm than a voyage across the Pacific. Also, you certainly shouldn't let children go to school. They might get germs, and be exposed to who-knows-what from kids and adults who work there.

A voyager should learn to be self sufficient. Failure to do that is the only "crime" in taking children around the world.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 04-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

^^^x2 that statement also shows quite a bit of ignorance and naivety for lack of a better word...regarding the world in general

even people in beatiful mountain homes in alaska or the pyreness or any place where you are far away from big cities this can be said of... are often days out from medical assistance...and yet they are living the life...

being on a boat as has been debated to oblivion in so so many threads before is much much safer than commuting to school for example in most cities in the developed world

I can tell you for a fact that where I am...here in el salvador, every day is a miracle when driving in the cities down here

Id much rather keep something afloat go slow and cruise then go out any day of the week only to have a freight truck lose his breaks and smash into me, or a dui driver crashing into telephone posts on a daily basis or buses filled with 100 passenger leaning over like the tower of pizza cut into you in traffic etc...or gangs extort you...or having people break into your house on a weekly or monthly basis...etc etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its all a compromise, LIFE IS...and Im sure these guys thought it out

btw having seen pics of the union 36 they were sailing nobody can say it was not taken care of or well outfitted...its a shame people always try to find faults in other people and not their own...or have such bias that it comes off as Im better and smarter than you attitudes that only do a disservice to the sailing community as a whole
there are a million things more dangerous than taking a 1 year old on a month voyage...out to sea

I wish them luck, godspeed and perseverance to follow their dreams as a family once again...

I hope the baby gets well soon...

Old 04-08-2014
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The reason for my view on this is, again, the non-stop nature of that 3500-mile passage. Over a month at sea with no respite for the little ones? That's pretty gnarly...especially for the first significant hop.

Apart from that, I'm all for taking kids on big adventures.

Is it gnarly....yeah of course. A big bite of the apple? Hell yeah.

They had done 600nm passages previously though.

What respite do they need? Do kids explode after a couple of days on a boat? Young kids are pretty adaptable. The longer you are at sea, the more accustomed you get to it, seasickness disappears, given the boat is made comfortable and the kids are well, it is at worst boring.

Either way, that is long term cruising. Plenty of families do it. Not to many of them get RTW without a passage like this. It is also clearly not for every family.
captain jack likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.