Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Thanks for helping me make my point :-)
Dude - you really need to get better at twisting logic...or at least make better points.

My point has never been that ISAF cures all. You know that, Mr. Binary. My point has always been that a complete lack of safety standards such as in the SDR is just stupid.

At least they're talking a better game with their ode to Steve Black:

Quote:
Many of the Salty Dawgs began their offshore sailing careers with Steve Black, at his Passage Maker seminars, the Caribbean 1500 and the Bermuda Rally. Steve had been executive director U.S. Sailing and had organized the popular NOOD races in four regions of the country before founding the Caribbean 1500 in 1990.

The Salty Dawg Rally is infused with the principles that Steve espoused in sailing: good preparation, good company, good spirits, and a clean wake. Steve emphasized safety and preparation, and much of his sailing time was single-handed. Everyone who ever sailed with Steve has a “Steve Story,” most of them true. Most of them Steve told on himself.

Anywhere cruising sailors gather, at least one of the crowd will have sailed with Steve. To him we owe this debt, he inspired us to cast off the docklines, explore, dream, discover.
Sure, they leave safety out of their own list above - strange. But, at least they give it a throw away in the next sentence. Let's just hope they actually follow in that clean wake Steve laid out with the safety/preparation protocols of the C1500 - thereby actually honoring his legacy. Casting off the docklines for your dream is great - until 5 boats call for rescue.

We'll see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-06-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude - you really need to get better at twisting logic...or at least make better points.

My point has never been that ISAF cures all. You know that, Mr. Binary. My point has always been that a complete lack of safety standards such as in the SDR is just stupid.
As always, if you continue to insist that placing the sole and ultimate responsibility for the safe preparation and passage upon the skipper of each individual vessel, where it most properly belongs - and which the SDR makes abundantly clear in their Mission Statement - represents a "complete lack of safety standards", then we will never reach any point of agreement...

Again, I would invite anyone to speculate how the Safety Standards of the Caribbean 1500 might have prevented any of the losses of yachts so far in 2014...

Quote:

Quote:
The Salty Dawg Rally is infused with the principles that Steve espoused in sailing: good preparation, good company, good spirits, and a clean wake. Steve emphasized safety and preparation...
Sure, they leave safety out of their own list above - strange. But, at least they give it a throw away in the next sentence.
I would suggest that "safety" might properly fall under the umbrella of "Good Preparation", but perhaps that's just me...

Why you continue to argue that the SDR has little or no regard for "Safety", is completely beyond me... I know you're read their mission statement over and over, parsing every single word... Do you simply believe they are LYING when they say this?

Quote:

Information including weather, Gulf Stream analysis, location of eddies, and daily weather forecasts during the passage is provided to each skipper by well‐known weather router Chris Parker, courtesy of Blue Water Sailing magazine. Volunteer Dick Giddings manages float plans for all of the boats in the fleet and maintains a daily SSB radio schedule, as well as daily positions for everyone (via HF radio and SatPhone). It is each skipper’s responsibility to decide the course and whether or not to set out for the passage. The Rally, with an emphasis on safety, communication, camaraderie and fun, opens the door to new friends and experiences while cruising various areas in the Caribbean.
Well, anyways... it's nice to see that you appear at least to be coming around to accepting my contention - despite the absence of "data" - that the frequency these abandonments and losses of sailing yachts offshore appear to be on the increase... :-)
Old 06-06-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Well, let's just say Steve Black seemed to have very different ideas regarding safety than you and your SDR pals. Typing words is cheap and easy. Having standards is costlier and harder.

I'll go with Steve on this one.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-06-2014

Quote:
Well, let's just say Steve Black seemed to have very different ideas regarding safety than you and your SDR pals.
Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Before he started the 1500, Steve was renowned as a singlehanded sailor... 3 times he crossed the Atlantic solo, in addition to Bermuda 1-2s and a long involvement with the Great Lakes Singlehanded Society... Therefore, he did a LOT of sailing in contravention of COLREGS Rule #5, so I think it might be safe to say that his approach to Safety at Sea was somewhat 'flexible', at least... :-)

However, as one who has done a fair bit of solo sailing myself, I have a hunch Steve would be in full agreement with me, that it is the individual skipper - and he alone - who is ultimately responsible for the safe preparation and execution of any voyage he might choose to undertake...
Old 06-06-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

one gallon per hour..

But smackdaddy, those are imperial gallons. Way way bigger than the ones you are thinking of. (VBG)
Old 06-06-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

He needs to follow the example of the British pensioner and his Thai girlfriend aboard the 70 ft wooden gaff rigged schooner Schwalbe built in 1927.

They set off for Bermuda from the Bahamas, Broke a topmast and split a mast. Ran out of diesel but blagged some off a passing merchie. Managed the transfer somehow.

Made it into an alternative port when plan A became impossible.

Bet it leaks more than one gallon per hour even on a good day.

They were frightened but did not give up. Sorted the topmast out, did not call for help, got themselves out of trouble and deserve some kudos for a proper bit of seamanship.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
one gallon per hour..

But smackdaddy, those are imperial gallons. Way way bigger than the ones you are thinking of. (VBG)
When I first read the report, I simply assumed - as ScottUK mentioned - that had to be a misprint or typo, or that there had to be a 0 or two omitted, or perhaps something was lost in translation from Flemish... :-)

Inconceivable, that 1 gph could precipitate such a cause for concern...
Old 06-06-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Back when, A coasting BC couple pulled a Mayday when they noticed the stern gland was dripping. Different levels of panic ??
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 06-11-2014
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road

Some people need to learn to drown like a gentleman.
Old 06-11-2014

patrickbryant is on a distinguished road
Bolt-on keels

For those of you who love bolt-on keels, and think encapsulated ballast is old fashioned, I've assembled a reading list. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

CHEEKI RAFIKI: Hull Found Again, Post Mortem | Sailfeed
Beneteau 40.7 Cheeki Rafiki missing Mid-Atlantic - Page 5 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Seeking to learn from keel failures >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Beneteau First 235 - O Beneteau Keel Bolts you scare me
Rusty Keel Bolts - How bad is it?
Hooligan V ? Report on loss of keel
Keeping the keel attached >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News

I, for one, am sticking to my encapsulated keel -- because it has remained stuck to the bottom of my boat.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 06-11-2014 at 06:10 PM.