SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/)
-   -   Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/145466-another-yacht-abandoned-450-nm-se-cape-cod.html)

JonEisberg 06-06-2014 12:08 AM

Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod

Damn, I hope none of the Newport-Bermuda race fleet run into any of these hulks left drifting around out there this year... :-)

http://bwsailing.com/cc/?p=20424

Tempest 06-06-2014 12:42 AM

Re: Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod

A GPH wasn't going to sink it. If it wasn't scuttled there's a good possibility it will be found floating. Given enough time, it could end up back on the beach in Cape Cod. Sounds like it's East of the Stream though.

smackdaddy 06-06-2014 01:31 AM

Containers used to be a big worry. Now it's abandoned sailboats everywhere.

This part's interesting:

Quote:

taking on water at a rate of one gallon-per-hour and was experiencing heavy winds and seas
Really?

ScottUK 06-06-2014 03:12 AM

Quote:

taking on water at a rate of one gallon-per-hour and was experiencing heavy winds and seas
Hope that's a typo because my bladder can take on more water per hour after some rum races.

JonEisberg 06-06-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 1905514)
Containers used to be a big worry. Now it's abandoned sailboats everywhere.

Yup, the Newport-Bermuda crews had beter keep an extra-sharp lookout, this year... :-)

I'm starting to wonder about the future of the AMVER program. It's proven very successful, of course, but what's in it for those guys? At the rate the commercial shipping industry is being asked to perform these sorts of rescues, and simply absorb the costs to them of doing so, how much longer before some in the industry might begin to re-think their participation?

I can imagine a time, a decade or two in the future, when AMVER might morph into a sort of High Seas version of SEA TOW... Sailors venturing offshore would pay a 'Membership Fee' entitling them to a 'free' rescue or assistance at sea (a fuel drop, for example). For those who declined to participate and purchase such 'rescue insurance', the shipping industry might be a bit more aggressive in their effort to recover their costs...

Far-fetched, no doubt... However, at the rate things are going right now, perhaps not... :-)

aeventyr60 06-06-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1905802)
Yup, the Newport-Bermuda crews had beter keep an extra-sharp lookout, this year... :-)

I'm starting to wonder about the future of the AMVER program. It's proven very successful, of course, but what's in it for those guys? At the rate the commercial shipping industry is being asked to perform these sorts of rescues, and simply absorb the costs to them of doing so, how much longer before some in the industry might begin to re-think their participation?

I can imagine a time, a decade or two in the future, when AMVER might morph into a sort of High Seas version of SEA TOW... Sailors venturing offshore would pay a 'Membership Fee' entitling them to a 'free' rescue or assistance at sea (a fuel drop, for example). For those who declined to participate and purchase such 'rescue insurance', the shipping industry might be a bit more aggressive in their effort to recover their costs...

Far-fetched, no doubt... However, at the rate things are going right now, perhaps not... :-)

Do the folks who get rescued by the AMVER program ever donate any money to the rescue organization? Maybe RH and Triumph( to name a few) could comment?

smackdaddy 06-06-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1905802)

I'm mostly worried about the SDR participants. Could be havoc out there.

JonEisberg 06-06-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 1906282)
I'm mostly worried about the SDR participants. Could be havoc out there.

Well, I suppose it will have to be left to our collective imaginations, how a pre-departure Safety Inspection might have prevented any of these recent abandonments... :-)

How ironic, that among all these losses and rescues recently, the one boat most likely equipped in strict compliance with the ISAF safety guidelines, was the Beneteau 40.7 CHEEKI RAFIKI, with the loss of her 4 crew...

smackdaddy 06-06-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1906338)
How ironic, that among all these losses and rescues recently, the one boat most likely equipped in strict compliance with the ISAF safety guidelines, was the Beneteau 40.7 CHEEKI RAFIKI, with the loss of her 4 crew...

So ISAF requires Utrasonic Testing of keel structures? Where is that reg again?

You bring up a good point though. One of the most likely culprits in the CR tragedy seems to be "cycles". In other words, this boat appears to have been through A LOT of stress cycles in the type of sailing it did.

Take that concept of cycles and apply it to a 20-30-40 year old boat. I think you owe it to the SDR to let them know about this correlation. Maybe rudders and masts (and people, of course) would then stay on the boats.

JonEisberg 06-06-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 1906370)
So ISAF requires Utrasonic Testing of keel structures? Where is that reg again?

Thanks for helping me make my point :-)