Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean kayak rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I see a great deal of humor in it. Politically incorrect but as Bugs Bunny said, "What a maroon!"

I mean, come on now. The guy is taking on an ocean voyage in a kayak, solo, and he doesn't have the brains to find a whole CONTINENT that's only 60 miles away?
This guy spent 12 days offshore in a kayak (ever tried to sleep in one of those out on the ocean?), so I would give him some credit. Maybe he has more balls then brains, and his approach was definitely flawed, but he has something of value.
Old 06-18-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"This guy spent 12 days offshore in a kayak (ever tried to sleep in one of those out on the ocean?), "
Ah, yeah. And how many folks would do that to themselves, for any reason beyond escaping from Alcatraz? No, I don't give him credit for putting himself into that situation, any more than I give him credit for being so ill-prepared.
I know the "Jackass video" tv shows were very popular, but I don't give people any credit for trying to star in them.

The first time I used a beverage can recycling machine, it jammed on the fourth or fifth can. And a little light came on that said "Remove can". Now, think about this. There's a hydraulic press in there designed to crush things. It is malfunctioning, and the machine is telling you to STICK YOUR HAND IN A MALFUNCTIONING HYDRAULIC PRESS?
Hey, I had a shop teacher who would have been proud of me. I walked away, and left the can and the machine to fight it out themselves. Some things are just DUMB to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2014

I'm sure you would consider an attempt to go solo to the South Pole on skis an utter foolishness, yet people do it and live to talk about it.
"Parker Liautaud set a record in December as the fastest unsupported person to ski from the Antarctic Coast to the South Pole, completing the 314-mile journey in 18 days.
At 19, the polar adventurer is also the youngest man to reach the most southern point on Earth by foot, without any assistance."
Read more: Parker Liautaud's Record Ski Trip To South Pole - Business Insider
Old 06-18-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I'm sure you would consider an attempt to go solo to the South Pole on skis an utter foolishness, yet people do it and live to talk about it.
"Parker Liautaud set a record in December as the fastest unsupported person to ski from the Antarctic Coast to the South Pole, completing the 314-mile journey in 18 days.
At 19, the polar adventurer is also the youngest man to reach the most southern point on Earth by foot, without any assistance."
Read more: Parker Liautaud's Record Ski Trip To South Pole - Business Insider
Yeah, but a well planned expedition and a poorly planned one are completely different animals. This guy couldn't find California once his chartplotter died, so I'm going to put him squarely in the poorly planned "expedition" camp.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
hellosailor (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Yeah, but a well planned expedition and a poorly planned one are completely different animals. This guy couldn't find California once his chartplotter died, so I'm going to put him squarely in the poorly planned "expedition" camp.
That is what we all agree on. In my original post I pointed out the over-reliance on electronic navigation and lack of compass/map backup. Sadly, I see that happening more and more among sailors as well (at least most sailboats still have a compass). So IMO that is the real lesson from this incident, not simply dismissing the guy as crazy or dumb (which he may or may not be). Surviving 12 days on an open ocean in a kayak does require quite a bit of skill and smarts, so this guy is not some inept loser.
Old 06-18-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Yeah, but a well planned expedition and a poorly planned one are completely different animals."
Precisely.

"Surviving 12 days on an open ocean in a kayak does require quite a bit of skill and smarts," Not really. If you know how to keep your balance and either not roll the boat, or roll it properly, how much skill and smarts is involved? You're not hunting game, you're sitting in a box eating supplies you brought along.
Less body skill than a gymnast, less hunting skill than the average "tribesman", and apparently enough smarts to know he was about to kill himself. Oh, but not until twelve days into the trip. Coulda been a thousand miles offshore instead of 60, just pure luck it wasn't.

" so this guy is not some inept loser. " We've got no reason to make a call on that. But inept, well, yes because his plans didn't work at all. All we know is that he can paddle a kayak, or at least sit in one.
Old 06-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Surviving 12 days on an open ocean in a kayak does require quite a bit of skill and smarts," Not really. If you know how to keep your balance and either not roll the boat, or roll it properly, how much skill and smarts is involved?
Having done a bit of sea kayaking off the coast of North and South Carolina I consider being out to sea for 12 days and nights something that requires considerable skill, smarts, and courage. But of course we all have different standards when it comes to these things.
Old 06-18-2014

The amount of skill and smarts would depend on the weather and many other things. And it is a limited skill set. Guys running whitewater rapids without punching a distress button aren't hard to find. Less common than McBurger counter help, but still not hard to find.

Courage? Not so much. It isn't like you are camping out in bear country, while slathered in bacon grease. Courage says you are putting aside your fears, and there's nothing to fear about the ocean, unless you've given Poseidon a personal grudge against you.

Rapid pit bull off the leash? I fear.
The ocean? I respect it, I don't fear it. No courage required, until someone says "SHARK!"

I guess we can agree to disagree. Lewis and Clark went further and did more. They planned better. This guy? Hey, even Columbus had triple redundancy in his fleet.
Old 06-18-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Ok, I need to know. How did this guy relieve himself? Then again, maybe he didn't think that through either.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2014

Minne, a true zen master can restrain himself for a whole month.
Twelve days? An acolyte could do that.

Like those celibate RC priests: You just put it out of your mind.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.