SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/)
-   -   Ocean kayak rescue (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/146834-ocean-kayak-rescue.html)

Minnewaska 06-12-2014 09:10 AM

Ocean kayak rescue
 
I'm not one of those that gets all high and mighty over the current rash of ocean rescues. However, this one is just pushing the limits. If there is any inclination to charge for rescues or have regulatory training or licensing requirements, stuff like this will work in that favor.

Man attempting kayak trip from California to Hawaii rescued in Santa Barbara

deniseO30 06-12-2014 09:20 AM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
Yeah there's a thread here about it Minn.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...dumb-ones.html

JonEisberg 06-12-2014 10:49 AM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1922746)
I'm not one of those that gets all high and mighty over the current rash of ocean rescues. However, this one is just pushing the limits. If there is any inclination to charge for rescues or have regulatory training or licensing requirements, stuff like this will work in that favor.

Man attempting kayak trip from California to Hawaii rescued in Santa Barbara

Whether it was actually the case or not, you gotta love the notion that someone headed for Hawaii "couldn't find his way back" to the coast of California from 60 miles off Santa Barbara :-)

Nancyleeny 06-12-2014 01:52 PM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1922906)
Whether it was actually the case or not, you gotta love the notion that someone headed for Hawaii "couldn't find his way back" to the coast of California from 60 miles off Santa Barbara :-)

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit where the guy is going to try to jump the English channel. When asked his longest jump so far, he said. "Eleven feet. No, no, twelve feet."

:laugher

Looks like this guy only got eleven feet out in the ocean. Seems like a crazy goal.

hellosailor 06-12-2014 03:56 PM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
Couldn't find California...

"Help, I'm lost!"
"Ahuh. Is there a big yellow thing in the sky? A bright yellow thing?"
"Yes."
"Okay, you just look for the same yellow thing around six a.m. tomorrow, and paddle like hell in the direction it came from. You'll be home in two days."

Really, how hard does it get?

MedSailor 06-12-2014 04:21 PM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
"Paging Mr. Darwin.....
Paging Mr. Darwin.....
Paging Mr. C Darwin...."

Medsailor

Brevity and typos are courtesy of my Samsung S4 Active.

Puddin'_Tain 06-12-2014 05:51 PM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 1923930)
Couldn't find California...

"Help, I'm lost!"
"Ahuh. Is there a big yellow thing in the sky? A bright yellow thing?"
"Yes."
"Okay, you just look for the same yellow thing around six a.m. tomorrow, and paddle like hell in the direction it came from. You'll be home in two days."

Really, how hard does it get?

My guess is that he didn't realize how far to the east the California coast bends south of Pt. Conception. He probably couldn't understand how he could have paddled to the east so far and still not see the mainland.

devilbones 06-16-2014 11:40 AM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
This is too funny, but sad at the same time.

krisscross 06-18-2014 10:36 AM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
From the linked article: "A friend of the man told the Coast Guard he’d left Monterey May 30th attempting to make the voyage of nearly 2,400 miles to Honolulu in a kayak with a solar panel that charged his electronic equipment.

The solar panel malfunctioned on Saturday and the man turned back to California, but sent out the distress call when he couldn’t find his way back."

I guess that this guy relied too much on his electronics and not enough on things like compass and map. When his electronics failed, he panicked to the point of calling in the cavalry because he could not get back, let alone going forward to Hawaii.
Yes, it is deeply sad, but not one bit funny.

hellosailor 06-18-2014 12:31 PM

Re: Ocean kayak rescue
 
I see a great deal of humor in it. Politically incorrect but as Bugs Bunny said, "What a maroon!"

I mean, come on now. The guy is taking on an ocean voyage in a kayak, solo, and he doesn't have the brains to find a whole CONTINENT that's only 60 miles away?

This is what happens when you let folks out without their keepers, and yes, the ocean is a cruel and unforgiving place.

No doubt next time he'll paint an arrow on the kayak that points to Hawaii, so he has something to follow if the GPS dies?

File under "What were they thinking?!".


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012