Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Malo 45' loses rudder, pulls an All is Lost

This is why I would never have a boat with a skeg-hung rudder. They're deathtraps. Spade only, thank you.

Seriously, I think Group's comment above about the autopilot in rough seas is likely more a culprit than anything else in these rudder failures. In our recent 150-mile off-shore run we had 8'-12' seas left-over from a big blow (though the winds were down to 20-25knots when we headed out). We were in a Pearson 365, with the seas on our starboard bow - and a ram-drive autopilot engaged. The seas eased over the next 24 hours...BUT...

Early the next morning, in seas of only 6' or so, the boat curved off-course. We corrected and re-set the AP, only to have it happen again. I opened the lazarette and saw the problem...the drive unit had been ripped off its base. I was glad that was the weak link.

The conditions were sporty - but certainly not that bad. There is obviously a lot of force going on with the AP. And this would certainly explain many of the rudder failures we've seen recently.

I have a ram-drive on my boat. I won't be using the AP in heavy seas. I'll hang on a drogue. I've learned my lesson.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-01-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Best to have a big bag of tricks and start using them one at a time, and quickly!!

Something from the medical profession that I keep abord the boat is 3M Scotchcast fiberglass casting tape. Basically, you open the package, dip the roll in water, apply the tape and a couple minutes later you have solid fiberglass. Seems like it could come in handy. For the rudder, you could just pound the whole roll into the hole.

They also make a slightly less rigid casting material that can be cut with EMT shears called "Scotchcast soft cast". For actual casting purposes aboard this would be infinitely preferable because cutting a regular cast off without a specialized saw is difficult, and if the extremity swells, it can die if the cast isn't cut off.

They also market the same stuff to vets, probably much less expensive too. Though the human grade stuff isn't too expensive either....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnvDLnVDKCw#t=174

Buy them here, split a box with your buddy.
https://www.mooremedical.com/index.c...PID=4159&spx=1

MedSailor
I had forgotten about that stuff. The last time I broke something (my elbow), they used that stuff and as they were putting it on and watching it harden, I was thinking the same thing, that this stuff could have a lot of other uses besides medical casting.

Have to get me some!

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-01-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm following this thread because a Malo is going to be our next boat. I read their blog from the beginning, when they started out from Sweden in 2007. They had autopilot problems that delayed their start and had autopilot problems periodically over the next several years.

What I think you're saying (correct me if it's wrong), is that the autopilot forced the rudder to keep functioning even after there may have been a problem with the rudder, so that what might have been a small issue and easy to fix (maybe, maybe not) became what it did because it wasn't fixed and wasn't noticed?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-01-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

To play devil's advocate here, why would an autopilot that is working hard produce forces that are any different than a servo pendulum windvane that is working hard?

I could see a trim tab windvane or separate vane like the hydrovane being different, but the gold standard for heavy weather steering is the servo-pendulum which uses water forces applied to the rudder quadrant (usually transferred through the wheel) to steer the boat.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I'm following this thread because a Malo is going to be our next boat. I read their blog from the beginning, when they started out from Sweden in 2007. They had autopilot problems that delayed their start and had autopilot problems periodically over the next several years.

What I think you're saying (correct me if it's wrong), is that the autopilot forced the rudder to keep functioning even after there may have been a problem with the rudder, so that what might have been a small issue and easy to fix (maybe, maybe not) became what it did because it wasn't fixed and wasn't noticed?
That, or the seas were putting a lot of strain on the rudder, that the AP was just dealing with by brute force, where a human steering in the same conditions, would have probably decided to try out some alternate courses, sail plans, etc. to get that strain off of the rudder.

As I alluded to earlier, I don't think it's good for the weakest link in your AP-rudder system to be the rudder. Better to have the AP break first and a case for having an AP that is actually undersized for your boat.

If that's what even happened here, which we don't know.
christian.hess likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 07-01-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

ive seen a lot of cases of the ap overriding and causing damage to quadrants, gears, breaking stuff etc on cruising boats

its important to design a weak link in the attachment point bewteen the ram arm and steering quadrant or whatever method you have down below...a sacrificial pin can and will save you from damage

while aps mostly sail better and straigher than a human what an ap will never have (yet( is eyes...

it stlll cant see when it has to let go in cases and give it all its might...thats why Im adamant on steering by hand in heavy seas having a watch looking aft at all times if you have crew(big trades) or all around on other points.

back in the day of moitessier this meant a dome and hand steering inside...

most pendulum windvanes get overpowered and end up giving a cheek to big rollers causing in many cases an unwanted broach...

I clearly remember pushing the tiller hard over, or pulling with all my might at an aries tilller steered boat when in really heavy seas or waves...it just needed more help did fine 99 percent of the time.

the autopilot worked well it was an under deck ram arm...but the owner refused to use it from experience in these situations fearing damage to one part or another of the steering system or in fact overworking the AP.

just saying

Old 07-01-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I think the real takeaway here, that we're all missing is that this never would have happened to a Brent Swain (tm) boat.

MedSailor dives for cover!
AlaskaMC likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-01-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Don't know the sea state in this scenario. Sailing in 8-10' with 25-35kts. is what this boat is made for. Malo, although now defunct, has an excellent rep. There is not unlikely another piece to this puzzle. Many spade rudder boats ( mine included) have post go into very heavily built structure which rises to or slightly above waterline. Similarly, given the predominance of APs there is usually a thought out transverse or heavy fore/aft stringer appropriately placed to accept the baseplate of the AP and install of AP achieved in fashion to transfer loading to that stringer.
Offer the following thoughts
I want the linkages in the AP at least as strong as the direct drive linkages going to my wheel. Although, there is a emergency tiller if the wheel steering fails I expect to go to the AP before the emergency tiller. I will not often hand steer below 10' seas or 35kts. To tiring unless you have enough crew to take 15m shifts. Save it for when weather worsens ( which some how it always does). I will hand steer in those circumstances if surfing frequently and changing sensitivity of AP doesn't allow appropriate handling of the boat. Boat and systems should be robust enough to handle this set of conditions.
I suspect the layup between the partial skeg and the canoe body failed. On this site in other threads many have casted aspersions about balanced spade rudders. They should call this most unfortunate event to mind. Suspect loading on a full skeg would even be higher. All to often the rudder is holding the skeg on not the other way around. Yes if the spade falls out as the boat works even if passage ends above water line a lot of water is going to come in. You need to prepare for that possibility. Would note rudder failures of various sorts seems to be at the top or near the top of the list when hearing about boats retiring from the various rallies.

Give BS his due- Something to be said for the old gudgeon and pinion system hung off the back of a double ender. If done right pretty d-mn strong. If it falls off no hole in the boat. Impossible to have it not cavitiate Hard to steer if loaded. Still simple and robust

Last edited by outbound; 07-01-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-01-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

It is too bad that we can't see the boat to know exactly what did happen. I can think of a few possibilities.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 07-01-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

One would think with rudder failures being so common, more people "out there" would be or try to be prepared. But then, if the rudder didn't fail maybe the whole stern would be ripped off a boat! No easy answers. So how much went down in cost? $300 K?

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.