LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Missing 25 Foot Sail Boat and Skipper

Hang in there Ron,

http://www.hawaiinewsnetwork.com/fri...ld-on-to-hope/

Friends of missing boater hold on to hope

Posted on December 1, 2014

There’s still no sign of a missing boater off Kailua-Kona.

On Thursday, 67-year-old Ron Ingraham radioed a Mayday, saying his 25-foot boat “Malia” was taking on water.

“This is Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. I’m in the middle of Alinui Channel. Uh, small boat, dangerous sinking,” said Ingraham.

He issued the Mayday call Thursday morning and was about 46 miles southwest of Kailua-Kona.

Friends say Ingraham is an experienced fisherman who lives on his boat at Kaunakakai Pier and would often travel to Lanai.

“This last couple months, he’s been catching his boat to Lanai, fishing akule or mepachi and catching a ride with his cooler going up to the Lanai City. Selling his fish, trying to make a few dollars there,” said Dedric Manaba, a commercial fisherman on Molokai and a friend of Ingraham.

The Coast Guard believes he was sailing alone from Kauanakai Harbor to Manele Bay on Lanai. How he got swept off course remains a mystery. His friends say the weather conditions could be to blame.

“I think when he left Manele and went around, I think he got into the strong wind and maybe got some engine trouble or something,” said Manaba.

So far, the Coast Guard has searched more than 7,000 square miles for Ingraham by air and deployed a tracking buoy to get a better read on where he could have drifted.

Ingraham’s friends believe he traveled with proper safety equipment and say he even had a kayak on board.

“I’m hoping, I’m praying to God that he’s on one of the beaches of Lanai up Shipwreck Beach. And that he hurt himself as the boat was sinking trying to get into his kayak,” said Kenneth Corder, a commercial fisherman on Molokai and a friend of Ingraham. “In my heart, I believe he’s gone.”

“He’s a tough 67-year-old guy. And I believe with all his experience and stuff, I believe he’s still out there either on his boat or on his kayak. I think he’s still out there. And I’m hoping they can find him,” said Manaba.

According to the Coast Guard, the current weather conditions are 35 mile per hour winds with eight to 15-foot seas.

Crews will continue searching throughout the night by helicopter.
zeehag and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by casey1999; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Missing 25 Foot Sail Boat and Skipper

Update:
Search continues for Molokai man
The Coast Guard attempts to locate a missing fisherman

By Rob Shikina

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 01, 2014
LAST UPDATED: 09:38 a.m. HST, Dec 01, 2014

U.S. COAST GUARD
This picture is of 25-foot sailboat Malia whose owner placed a mayday call Nov. 27 saying his vessel was taking on water and in danger of sinking 46 miles west of Kailua-Kona.
An ocean search for a Molo*kai fisherman who made a distress call four days ago is still being treated as a search-and-rescue mission, the Coast Guard said Sunday.

Ron Ingraham, 67, made a distress call at about 8 a.m. Thursday, saying his vessel was flooding and in danger of sinking 46 miles west of Kailua-Kona, the Coast Guard said.

Before losing contact, Ingraham gave his GPS coordinates, which were near Ale*nui*haha Channel — the passage between Maui and Hawaii island, the Coast Guard said.

Ingraham is believed to be the only person aboard the Malia, a 25-foot sailboat that left Kau*na*ka*kai Harbor, Molo*kai, for Ma*nele Bay, Lanai.

On Sunday, Ingraham's friends struggled to remain hopeful as a small-craft advisory remained in effect for waters around the islands and no sign of Ingraham was found.

"It's a tough one," friend Dedric Ma*naba said by phone from Molo*kai. "Each day that goes by, you think he's probably gone. He's a nice guy."

He said strong northerly winds may have pushed Ingraham, a longtime fisherman, south of his intended course. He wondered why the Coast Guard hadn't spotted any debris, and said Ingraham had a kayak on his boat.

By Sunday afternoon the Coast Guard had searched 7,798 square miles, the agency said.

Aircraft crews conducted more than 50 sorties in the search mission, which began Thursday and focused on an area southwest of Maui.

To determine where to look, the Coast Guard dropped a self-locating buoy to track ocean currents and used a software system that calculates the most likely place to find a person in the water.

But severe weather hampered the search. On Friday the 87-foot Coast Guard cutter Ahi turned around because of the weather.

The rough seas were expected to continue, with a small-craft advisory probably being extended past its 6 p.m. Monday expiration, the National Weather Service said. Northeast winds were predicted to be about 28 mph in the Ale*nui*haha Channel with waves of about 12 feet Monday, the weather service said.

On Sunday the Navy assisted in the search with a P-3 Orion patrol plane.

The Coast Guard did not say how long it will continue searching for Ingraham, but said a MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew would search Sunday evening and overnight.

Conditions must be rough if an 87 foot CG cutter turns around.
Pic of sailboat attached
Attached Thumbnails
Missing 25 Foot Sail Boat and Skipper-20141130_missing_boat_malia.jpg  

Last edited by casey1999; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:10 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Hope they find him, sounds like some rough stuff. Very sad.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Looks like a Bayfield 25... pretty solid pocket cruiser...
zeehag likes this.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

RIP Ron.

Coast Guard suspends search for missing Thanksgiving mayday boater off Kailua-Kona
Dec 02, 2014 - 8:01 AM

The Coast Guard has suspended the search for 67-year-old Ron Ingraham who has been missing since Thursday after he placed a mayday call at 8…
The Coast Guard has suspended the search for 67-year-old Ron Ingraham who has been missing since Thursday after he placed a mayday call at 8:03 a.m. saying his vessel was taking on water and in danger of sinking 46 miles west of Kailua-Kona.

“The suspension of an active search and rescue case without definitive resolution is one of the most difficult command decisions a commanding officer has to make,” said Capt. Shannon Gilreath, Sector Commander, Coast Guard Sector Honolulu. “We have exhausted all available resources in our efforts to locate Mr. Ingraham but, pending further developments, I have have decided to suspend the active search.”

Coast Guard and Navy crews conducted an extensive search of the area, flying 59 sorties and covering approximately 12,000 square miles since Thursday.

Involved in the search were MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crews and HC-130 Hercules airplane crews from Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point along with the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Ahi, an 87-foot patrol boat homeported in Honolulu and a Navy P-3 Orion crew from Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Oahu.

During the course of those flights, Coast Guard HC-130 crews deployed a self-locating datum marker buoy to gather critical information for the development of search areas. To calculate search areas in the complex currents of the Hawaiian Islands, watchstanders use the Search and Rescue Optimal Planning System.

SAROPS is a software system that uses simulated particles generated by users in a graphical interface. These particles are then influenced by environmental data to provide information on search object drift. Using information on a point of origin and local currents, it calculates the most likely area to find a person in the water.

The 67-year-old Ingraham is believed to be the sole person aboard the 25-foot sailing vessel Malia which departed Kaunakakai Harbor, Molokai, to Manele Bay, Lanai.

A friend of Ingraham called Coast Guard Sector Honolulu Command Center Friday and cited Tuesday, November 25th as the last time he spoke with him.

Watchstanders at Sector Honolulu Command Center received the mayday call over VHF radio channel 16 at 8:03 a.m. Thursday. Ingraham reported flooding on his boat and provided a GPS position approximately 46 miles west of Kailua-Kona near Alenuihaha Channel before communications were lost.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

A real shame they did not find him. Those waters there can be really bad. I take it there is a strong current in the channel, but one would think the boat would have left some bit of debris behind. I that when I go (as we all must) being able to go doing something you love is the way to go. My grandfather had a massive heat attack and died on the golf course. The only thing he would likely rather died doing was hunting. To go doing what you love is the way to go.
MarkofSeaLife and Johnniegee like this.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Dunno. i would prefer to die in my sleep at 97 after the 20 year old nurse have tucked me in.

This is another very sad case. Also another, third this month, without an EPIRB.

Mark
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Dunno. i would prefer to die in my sleep at 97 after the 20 year old nurse have tucked me in.

This is another very sad case. Also another, third this month, without an EPIRB.

Mark
well I think tyrion lannister said it best:

MarkofSeaLife and jimrafford like this.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
well I think tyrion lannister said it best:
Bastard stole my line!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
A real shame they did not find him. Those waters there can be really bad. I take it there is a strong current in the channel, but one would think the boat would have left some bit of debris behind. I that when I go (as we all must) being able to go doing something you love is the way to go. My grandfather had a massive heat attack and died on the golf course. The only thing he would likely rather died doing was hunting. To go doing what you love is the way to go.
Weather has been real rough here last two weeks. Strong trades and swell from multple directions. The wind in that channel could easily be 40 Knts with 20 foot breaking waves. the alenuihaha channel is one of worlds most dangerous-trades funneling between two volcanoes one at 10,000 ft and other at 14,000 feet. And cg help by air is 100 miles away. In the white capped covered water, nearly impossible to find much debis, and depth is 5,000 feet. Not a place one wants to have a problem.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by casey1999; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:59 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.