Adrift sv Dagny, West End, Grand Bahama - SailNet Community
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Adrift sv Dagny, West End, Grand Bahama

please be on the look out for
s/v Dagny, a Morris Francis 26 ft sailboat
was anchored off West End (grand Bahamas) when she disappeared while the singlehander was ashore.
Vessel has been missing since 12/22/2015
Chris Parker has put out a couple drift analysis. I will post separately.
Vessel has off white hull with dark boot stripes, flush deck, 26 ft long.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Adrift sv Dagny, West End, Grand Bahama

From SSCA FB

Marine Weather Forecaster Chris Parker of the Marine Weather Center had so generously provided us with the following update on the projected drift of the unmanned S/V DAGNY which went adrift from West End, Bahamas on December 22, 2015.
Please share this information to fellow cruisers transiting the coastal waters of Northern Florida and Georgia. Please report any sighting to the United States Coast Guard (USCG) and Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) Radio Station “KPK” at KPK@ssca.org or telephone 941-456-5070.
Thank you,
Glenn Tuttle - Moderator
Cruisers Network Online
SSCA Radio Station “KPK”
Daily 8.104 @ 1145 hrs UTC
KPK@ssca.org
Here was the analysis I provided Sat26:
The vessel drifted about 25 miles in a direction of 320T in 24 hours. This makes sense, and confirms the roughly 1k speed of drift. My guess was between 1k and 1.5k speed of drift due to wind. Assuming there were no tidal currents, the speed of drift may be closer to 1k in wind of 15k, which is slightly less than I was estimating.
So the vessel started drifting from 26-40N/79W at about 5:30pm EST on Tue22.
Was sighted 27-04N/79-16W at 5:20pm on Wed23.
At 5pm on Thu24, I estimate position 28-12N/79-45W, based on drift from wind 30 miles, in direction 320T & set from current 48 miles in direction 355T.
At 5pm on Fri25, I estimate position 29-30N/80-10W, based on drift from wind 25 miles, in direction 310T & set from current 45 miles in direction 348T.
At 5pm today (Sat26), I estimate position 30N/80-30W, based on drift from wind 22 miles, in direction 320T & current about 10 miles in direction 345T.
From the current location there's little GulfStream current (and tidal currents should cancel themselves out over a 24hr period), so drift should be due exclusively to wind, and should be about 18 miles in a direction of 330T Sat26 night-Sun27 (yielding a 5pm Sun27 location of 30-15N/80-40W)...
and 22 miles in a direction 340T Sun27 night-Mon28 (yielding a Mon28 evening location of 30-36N/80-48W).
and 25mi in a direction 360T Mon28 night-Tue29 (yielding a 5pm Tue29 position 30-51N/80-48W).
Of course, all of the above is only an educated guess, and the possible errors compound over time...cheers...Chris.
*.*
REVISION:
Let's assume this was correct:
At 5pm on Fri25, I estimate position 29-30N/80-10W
Here's the revision: At 5pm on Sat26, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 29-53N/80-30W, based on drift from wind of 20mi, in direction 310T & set from current about 10 miles in direction 345T.
At 5pm on Sun27, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-08N/80-45W, based on drift from wind of 20mi, in direction 320T
At 5pm Mon28, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-21N/80-56W, based on drift from wind of 16mi, in direction 325T.
At 5pm on Tue29, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-36N/80-59W, based on drift from wind of 15mi, in direction 350T.
At 5pm on Wed30, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-50N/80-56W, based on drift from wind of 15mi, in direction 010T.
At 5pm on Thu31, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-59N/80-50W, based on drift from wind of 10mi, in direction 030T.
I'll reiterate: Of course, all of the above is only an educated guess, and the possible errors compound over time...cheers...Chris.
--
Chris Parker
Weather Forecasting & Vessel Routing
Weather & Communications - Hardware, Software, Sales, Consulting, Books,
Seminars
www.mwxc.com
Marine Weather & Communications LLC (and dba Marine Weather Center)
5130 Medulla Rd
Lakeland FL 33811
ph 863-248-2702
fax 863-248-4666
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

post #3 of 113 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Couple more pics.

Gil's website has a full account of events svdagny.com
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

post #4 of 113 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

More
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sal Paradise likes this.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

post #5 of 113 Old 12-31-2015

Adrift sv Dagny, West End, Grand Bahama

Sad story. Guy buys a boat and refits it. Has only 4 hours sailing experience sailing inshore. Leaves for Bahamas and is violently seasick within first hour. Instead of turning back he proceeds for 19 hours and anchors outside the reef north of West End delirious for three days due to rolling of boat. Not strong enough to retrieve anchor and chain he cuts it free and sails to outside West End and uses back up anchor without sufficient scope to anchor outside the reef again in 40 feet of water. Goes ashore, clears customs and has lunch with his $150 remaining cash. Boat is missing after lunch and a nap on a park bench.

A classic example of bad decisions compounding themselves and the debilitating effects of seasickness. I wish him luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bleemus; 12-31-2015 at 10:51 AM.
post #6 of 113 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Sad story. A classic example of bad decisions compounding themselves and the debilitating effects of seasickness. I wish him luck.
The lyrics of a Greg Brown song seem a good reminder not to leave too much to chance when on or off a boat:

"One wrong turn is all it takes
And there ain't many signs -
You only get a few breaks.
Some get more. Some get less.
One wrong turn leads to the next.
The days go slow and the years go fast.
The future you look for is soon the past.
You seldom end up where you thought you would.
One wrong turn can change it all for good."

Really hope he and his boat are reunited soon. Looks there are a lot of good people keeping their eyes open looking for it. Hat's off to Chris Parker for providing the drift analysis. The Lesson Learned I'm taking from this incident is when anchoring in unfamiliar waters and no other occupied boats around. Might be a good idea to keep the AIS transponder on (if you have one) while on shore.

Mike
Currently: Fixing things

post #7 of 113 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Sad story. Guy buys a boat and refits it. Has only 4 hours sailing experience sailing inshore. Leaves for Bahamas and is violently seasick within first hour. Instead of turning back he proceeds for 19 hours and anchors outside the reef north of West End delirious for three days due to rolling of boat. Not strong enough to retrieve anchor and chain he cuts it free and sails to outside West End and uses back up anchor without sufficient scope to anchor outside the reef again in 40 feet of water. Goes ashore, clears customs and has lunch with his $150 remaining cash. Boat is missing after lunch and a nap on a park bench.

A classic example of bad decisions compounding themselves and the debilitating effects of seasickness. I wish him luck.

Wow, I don't even know where to start. Between the misinformation and the total lack of knowledge of what actually happened, I just don't have the energy to fix your ignorance.

I don't want to get into a debate either, I posted this to help a singlehander try and retrieve his vessel. If you can pass the word to other sailors, fishermen, cruising groups, rally's regattas that might be near the drift area, please do.

If you'd like to start a commentary on what he did wrong, could you please start it on another thread? I'd like to keep this clutter free so updates and folks who might be able to help without having to wade through "what I would of done " posts.

Thanks
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

post #8 of 113 Old 12-31-2015

Erika,
Please read his whole blog, as I have done, and point out any fallacies you may think I have conjured up. It's all there in black and white. If your going to post please expect commentary on it. That is what a forum is all about.

I forgot to point out that when he received word of a boat anchored at Memory Rock, near the expected drift of his vessel, in an unusual place he didn't enlist help to investigate but instead decided to write a review of the Delorme InReach. These are facts.

Let his tale be a precautionary one for those who go to sea without ever having been there and knowing if you are prone to seasickness. I wish him luck.

post #9 of 113 Old 12-31-2015

Every singlehander nightmare: finding your boat drift away while on shore. I hope he finds her before she washes up somewhere in the Carolinas.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 113 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Erika,
Please read his whole blog, as I have done, and point out any fallacies you may think I have conjured up. It's all there in black and white. If your going to post please expect commentary on it. That is what a forum is all about.

I forgot to point out that when he received word of a boat anchored at Memory Rock, near the expected drift of his vessel, in an unusual place he didn't enlist help to investigate but instead decided to write a review of the Delorme InReach. These are facts.

Let his tale be a precautionary one for those who go to sea without ever having been there and knowing if you are prone to seasickness. I wish him luck.

Actually I don't expect commentary on a sub forum designated to alert cruisers of a vessel adrift and navigational hazard. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

You are profoundly misinformed. There have been two sightings at memory rock, both were investigated and found not to be Dagny. Gil is a writer, so he writes. If he could swim out searching for his beloved vessel he would. If he had the funds and resources to fly a plane endless hours over the projected drift area he would. But since he does not we, who are trying to help him, post BOTLO to anyone who may find themselves in her area.

All authorities have been contacted. We are hoping a fishermen, powerboater, sailor will spot her and call the coast guard along with emailing Glenn at SSCA of her location so Gil can hightail it out to her or arrange to have her recovered.

I appreciate your input and concern, I too hope Dagny is found.
Happy New Years
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

Last edited by oceangirl; 12-31-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.