LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: BFS Proponent Rescued at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I would like to add a bit of news. Looks like Ronnie is working on his karma -

The boat is now approaching the island of Maui. I want to be cryptic about it's position or whereabouts until we have possession of her, but in an effort to save the boat from being run aground, lost at sea or salvaged, the Singlehanded Transpac fleet has come together to save Bela. A very generous fleet member paid for the charter of a fishing boat and two other generous fleet members purchased plane tickets for Ruben Gabriel and myself to fly to Maui. Ruben is a great friend of mine. We double handed my Moore 24 around the Farallones this year and both recently sailed Moore 24's in the Singlehanded Transpac, so i'm really honored to be able to share this experience with Ruben and work to save Dirk's boat. Dirk lives aboard the boat, so this is someone's home that we're talking about. Having lost a boat at sea, that I lived on, this is very personal for me to try to help reclaim Dirk's home

Open Blue Horizon - Home

I don't know and have never met Ronnie, but I admire him. First I'de heard of him was from two years ago at the 2010 SHTP. Followed his race, read his history and was following his journey when he lost his keel on the way home. Thought he handled himself well.

Since I've never accomplished anything near what he has in regards to sailing, I can;t judge at all. Kind of wonder about those that do judge him. Have they had the success, journey, experience he has, at his age? I'm going to predict a "no" here. Of course I could be wrong.

Keep it going Ronnie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I might add that he lost 1 kayak, and 1 new (now inflated) life raft before being rescued on his first ill-fated crossing to Hawaii. He has since learned how to tie knots.

Ronnie is a friend, and I'm proud of him. He really has learned not to hang around most forums trying to defend himself from the bashing he takes. Sailing Anarchy seems to have noticed his accomplishments, so go pretty easy on him.

Yeah, he's come a long way in a short number of years. Happily, he lived through learning to sail across the Pacific to Hawaii. I've seen him all banged up from crashing his gixxer doing wheelies too. He just likes to learn stuff the hard way. Some people just think that way, mostly disregarding the consequences of failure.
Did he pay the bill for his rescue or is the rest of America covering his "learning the hard way"?

Or his he "disregarding the consequences of failure"?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Did he pay the bill for his rescue or is the rest of America covering his "learning the hard way"?

Or his he "disregarding the consequences of failure"?
Sloop - you should read this thread:

Ronnie Simpson Giving It Another Go

Ronnie made up for the cost of the first rescue by sailing a keel-less boat 800 miles so he wouldn't have to call in a second. The consequences of failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sloop - you should read this thread:

Ronnie Simpson Giving It Another Go

Ronnie made up for the cost of the first rescue by sailing a keel-less boat 800 miles so he wouldn't have to call in a second. The consequences of failure.
So he had to be rescued from his own bad judgement once and he was lucky to survive a second time and we should admire him?

Granted sailing with no keel took a lot of skill but also a lot of luck.

Most people outgrow this kind of behaviour by the time they reach the age of majority - it's called growing up.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-20-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
So he had to be rescued from his own bad judgement once and he was lucky to survive a second time and we should admire him?

Granted sailing with no keel took a lot of skill but also a lot of luck.

Most people outgrow this kind of behaviour by the time they reach the age of majority - it's called growing up.
Is anyone ever rescued from their own good judgement?

Judging by his accomplishments - I'd say he's growing up just fine. I certainly respect the guy.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-20-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not sure what the age of majority is but I'm thinking he enjoys challenging himself, trying something new and pushing out his comfort zone.

That, I admire. I really see nothing wrong with it, not sure why other do.
Old 07-20-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

I discovered long ago that experienced sailors generally have a sense of 'really bad stuff happens' and are conservative about everything

The mad dog risk takers are usually those who are blissfully unaware of the real dangers since they are fully Certified having passed ASA 101, 102, AND 103.

I must say, I envy those childlike adventurers.

Sometimes I wish I didn't know what it is like having to 'lower' a Asym which got tangled in the main boom dragging the main in the water forcing the boat to broach, recover, broach, recover, broach, recover - with rudder completely overpowered - no moon, in a light rain - prayIng that jackline will actually hold fast, going to low side, with stanchions almost buried, green water starting to lap at companionway, jambed against stanchions with full force of water, reaching underwater to untangle the Asym sheet from the boom preventer....
Old 07-20-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Too many people can only learn the hard way, unfortunately. Seems to be a part of the human condition. You would think that evolution would have fixed that by now haha
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Not sure what the age of majority is
Adulthood - being old enough to drink, vote etc.

Also, in most cases, knowing better than to head across the Pacific in complete ignorance of sailing and in a worn out boat.
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Is anyone ever rescued from their own good judgement?
Lots of times - $hit happens, even to the best prepared. There's a big difference between accidents and the consequences of foolhardiness.

Skiers break their legs sometimes but he's the equivalent of skiing out of bounds and breaking his leg.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.