Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: BFS Proponent Rescued at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Lots of times - $hit happens, even to the best prepared. There's a big difference between accidents and the consequences of foolhardiness.
That's my point. But the bigger, and most critical difference is where one draws the "foolhardiness" line. The line that allows forgiveness for an "accident" versus scorn for an "inevitability".

For some, simply sailing at all is foolhardy. What if the wind dies and you can't make it back to shore?

Like I said, read the thread I linked above. I think most of these points were well-debated therein.

The great thing, though, is that the CG doesn't assess perceived "stupidity". They simply save lives. I don't mind paying for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-20-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Did he pay the bill for his rescue or is the rest of America covering his "learning the hard way"?
He was picked up by a foreign registered freighter bound for Shanghai, which is where he was taken. No US dollars spent. You really might want to do a little research before you type something like that next time?

Back to the karma regarding the rescue of Bela Bartok, Ronnie types on his blog - "Dirk lives aboard the boat, so this is someone's home that we're talking about. Having lost a boat at sea, that I lived on, this is very personal for me to try to help reclaim Dirk's home."

I think he is now at least a +1 on karma with that being accomplished successfully http://singlehandedtranspac.com/updates/, not to mention his work with wounded warriors - Hope

Ralph

Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
He was picked up by a foreign registered freighter bound for Shanghai, which is where he was taken. No US dollars spent. You really might want to do a little research before you type something like that next time?

Back to the karma regarding the rescue of Bela Bartok, Ronnie types on his blog - "Dirk lives aboard the boat, so this is someone's home that we're talking about. Having lost a boat at sea, that I lived on, this is very personal for me to try to help reclaim Dirk's home."

I think he is now at least a +1 on karma with that being accomplished successfully Updates | Singlehanded Transpac | 34 years of racing history!, not to mention his work with wounded warriors - Hope

Ralph
I stand corrected, he's an adventurous hero.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-20-2012
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I stand corrected, he's an adventurous hero.
Your words, not mine. Derk Wolmuth, who owned the boat that Ronnie and friends saved, might agree with the "adventurous hero" title.

The Coast Guard is on the job, and burning gas everyday. Whether they are rescuing a vessel in distress, or giving tickets out for some reason. The taxpayers are already paying, so why, when they are needed to actually save lives, and perform the duties of that job, why is that a problem? I just don't understand such posts as the one you made.

Last edited by RTB; 07-20-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
The Coast Guard is on the job, and burning gas everyday. Whether they are rescuing a vessel in distress, or giving tickets out for some reason. The taxpayers are already paying, so why, when they are needed to actually save lives, and perform the duties of that job, why is that a problem? I just don't understand such posts as the one you made.
Personal responsibility vs. irresponsible foolhardiness.

I also think skiers who go out of bounds and have to be rescued should have to pay the full cost of their rescue.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-20-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Personal responsibility vs. irresponsible foolhardiness.

I also think skiers who go out of bounds and have to be rescued should have to pay the full cost of their rescue.
I was a professional ski patrolman for 12 years for NY State. You have no idea how many a-h skiiers I had to go out after AT NIGHT who would very likely have frozen to death because they were stupid enough to jump a rope late in the afternoon after a trail was closed and swept. People have jumped on ski lifts, going under ropes after they closed and have been found stiff in the morning. Irresponsibility abounds. When linked to pure ignorance of consequences, it can be a problem.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 07-20-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
People have jumped on ski lifts, going under ropes after they closed and have been found stiff in the morning.
I'm pretty sure Darwin has a saying for this.

Looks like Ronnie is surviving pretty well though. He just helped to save a guys home. I think that's awesome!
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
I was a professional ski patrolman for 12 years for NY State. You have no idea how many a-h skiiers I had to go out after AT NIGHT who would very likely have frozen to death because they were stupid enough to jump a rope late in the afternoon after a trail was closed and swept. People have jumped on ski lifts, going under ropes after they closed and have been found stiff in the morning. Irresponsibility abounds. When linked to pure ignorance of consequences, it can be a problem.
Around here it takes teams, helicopters and everything - you can get fatally lost within sight of Vancouver. At Whistler it gets even more so - hundreds of miles of vertical wilderness in most directions.

They're virtually 100% young males as well.
Old 07-20-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Around here it takes teams, helicopters and everything - you can get fatally lost within sight of Vancouver. At Whistler it gets even more so - hundreds of miles of vertical wilderness in most directions.

They're virtually 100% young males as well.
With us it was usually a call, initiated by a panicked relative, after sitting at the bar and having a couple of beers. Then it was back up on a cat with flashlights looking for tracks off into the woods. We had a couple of lifts at Gore that dead-ended so anyone in there after the lift operators were gone were screwed. (Once caught NYC judge--not all kids) Sometimes we'd tuck it back down from the summit in the dark. Now that was great fun!
Old 07-21-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
With us it was usually a call, initiated by a panicked relative, after sitting at the bar and having a couple of beers. Then it was back up on a cat with flashlights looking for tracks off into the woods. We had a couple of lifts at Gore that dead-ended so anyone in there after the lift operators were gone were screwed. (Once caught NYC judge--not all kids) Sometimes we'd tuck it back down from the summit in the dark. Now that was great fun!
I was just an instructor. But I always wanted to be patrol. You guys ruled.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.