Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I don't think the owner ever planned to single hand it.
Eh, we're thread drifting but sometimes a wife isn't crew, she's a passenger. Depends on your wife(or husband if you're a female sailor). And your 13 year old daughter better be Laura Dekker if you really expect her to crew.

I can totally understand why people ditch floating boats though. I wouldn't want to experience this in storm conditions:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Eh, we're thread drifting but sometimes a wife isn't crew, she's a passenger. Depends on your wife(or husband if you're a female sailor). And your 13 year old daughter better be Laura Dekker if you really expect her to crew.

I can totally understand why people ditch floating boats though. I wouldn't want to experience this in storm conditions:
There are many many similar size yachts and even larger yachts circumnavigating the world at any one time with only a family aboard.

I once sailed with a man whom owned an 85 foot yacht and had sailed the world for 20 years with his wife and 3 kids whom were between 2 and 10 years old when his journey started. I was aboard during one storm in the Tasman ses where we had sustained winds of over 80 knots for two days and seas of over 60 feet. The family was fine and would have been fine without me or the other crew aboard. After talking to this person 20 years after this storm, I asked what was the worst storm you had been in- he said it was that one. Most people sail years and never have winds more than sustained 40 knots.

For the most part, cruising sailing is pretty easy, and a 13 year old should have no problem handling all the task involved if properly instructed.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 10-30-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I can say I am truly saddened by this. I was on the boat a year or two ago, and thought the crew was great. They were friendly and after talking to one of them for a while the let me go into the "non public" areas. It was interesting and I did not see any rotted wood, but they said it had just had a major refit and I would not know what to look for if it was neatly painted over as I have never owned a wood boat. The crew while a bit odd and "hippie-sh" bit were a hoot to spend a few hours with. I have followed the boat on Facebook since.

I am confident the captain did what he thought was best for the crew and boat at the time. It is unfortunate it did not turn out better.
wingNwing likes this.
Old 10-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Just getting thrown from one side of the boat to the other in a knock down could kill you, wearing a motorcycle helment during storm conditions might help.
Yes, it may seem ridiculous to some to wear a helmet on a sailboat but IMO it is a very good idea. Getting clocked by the boom, a flailing shackle, getting thrown off your feet and flung across the cabin--all these can be deadly. I keep my kayak helmet on board and use it when it's rough. If it doesn't look yachtie enough....oh well Ho Hum.
Old 10-30-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Yes, it may seem ridiculous to some to wear a helmet on a sailboat but IMO it is a very good idea. Getting clocked by the boom, a flailing shackle, getting thrown off your feet and flung across the cabin--all these can be deadly. I keep my kayak helmet on board and use it when it's rough. If it doesn't look yachtie enough....oh well Ho Hum.
Agree, very good idea. I don't care what the heck I look like when sailing. A climbing helment might work too.
Old 10-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Even a bike helmet would work although the brim might get in the way. I like the kayak helmet because it also has a nose clip attached so if the boat capsizes I won't get water up my nose
Old 10-30-2012

saltfree is on a distinguished road

Though I can't imagine how there could possibly have been a good reason for the Bounty to have left port in the first place, one of the main points of that Rescue Swimmer's article seems to have been missed here:

Wait until the facts come out before deciding who made which wrong decision and why. You weren't there.
Old 10-31-2012
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road

It's important to wait and hear the report. We do know a few facts - the departure date and place & the weather report. I was anchored in a hurricane whole just ouside ELizabeth City when I heard the coast guard pan pan at 2am, asking ships to keep a lookout for HMS Bounty, and last location was 90 miles SE of Hatteras. I remember thinking - There are no ships THERE. I then went online to see if I could discover where they left from - I found their schedule. Assuming they kept it, they left from New London and next schedule was Fla for beginning of November showcase.
I know that if I had been crew, I would have jumped ship before it left port. In a lifetime of sailing, I have only had to do this once. If they wanted to go out to sea and ride out the storm, I still wouldn't have left.
One of the most destructive things is a schedule. One fact we were given was the Captain was skirting the storm and his destination was Florida. Schedules damage and kill. A schedule is never worth it.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 10-31-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Still a bit of thread drift: I agree wearing a helmet would be a good idea in an ultimate storm. And yes, a knockdown can kill you dead (I understand Wingnuts skipper and crew were probably knocked out in their capsize in the Chi/Mac race). However, if I had a short tether to a jackline in the cockpit, or was riding it out in the cabin, I'm not sure I would want to try to climb into a liferaft from a functioning boat. Keep in mind, I have absolutely no experience in anything like these conditions, so I reserve the right to change my mind completely if I find myself in such conditions.
Old 10-31-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

ok...bounty sailed. bounty sank. bounty isnt coming back from the dead. ever.
she was not inside hurrycame sandy, but NEXT to it . and between hurrycame and frontal system coming from west to east-- weird but i can see the tactic--wouldnt sail it,, but i can see it----
RIP BOUNTY AND CAPT ROBIN AND CLAUDENE.
may others learn from the problems encountered on the fatal trip.

bounty website and bounty fb pages offered much info.

more people should have read those pages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-31-2012 at 10:22 AM.