Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
It has been determined the Mayan calender ends on Dec 21st because they ran out of good quality stone in which to carve the calender.
I heard someone shipped them stone from China and they used that for the calendar starting Dec 22.
Minnewaska and MarkofSeaLife like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

For the guys arguing about benefits/problems with chart plotters, this story just came out- real interesting:
Scientists 'undiscover' South Pacific island - CNN.com

CNN) -- An international scientific expedition has revealed a South Pacific island roughly the size of Manhattan and clearly marked on online maps and marine charts does not, in fact, exist.

The 'undiscovery' of the island -- which until now was midway between Australia and New Caledonia -- highlights how much there still is to learn about the oceans, scientists say.

"We saw this mysterious island on all the scientific maps and weather maps but not on this one navigational chart that was on our ship," Ph.D student Sabin Zahirovic, part of the research team on board the RV Southern Surveyor, told CNN.

"So we decided to go see if it was actually there."

The undiscovery was made during the ship's voyage this month. Although the team had originally planned to check out the existence of the island during the day, they had arrived at the location of the island at night due to a navigational error.

"We were watching all of our depth-sounding equipment. Luckily for us the sea floor turned out to be very deep there," said Zahirovic, who is studying the tectonic evolution of the eastern Coral Sea.

The implications are significant

Although the undiscovery of the island was not part of the original research mission of the international team of scientists led by University of Sydney's Dr. Maria Seton, the implications of the wrong maps are significant.

"All the scientific cartography relies on these maps, and numerical simulations of waves and currents depend on size of these land forms," said Zahirovic.

"It just goes to show the oceans are so underexposed. It's actually really shocking that we haven't not found more islands."

Can anyone pull up this on their chart plotter to see if it shows up, I will try on mine in next few days. Island is called both Sandy Island by Google Maps and Sable Island on others?

Last edited by casey1999; 11-27-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
... But does anyone know (not rumor but fact) whether Walbridge actually did any of the things he talked about -- chasing hurricanes, running under bare poles in a 70 kt wind, etc. I mean true hurricane-force winds and seas, not a near gale with some gusts of 50 kts. Watching the interview I had a feeling he had not, but I really don't know. I have to confess that some 50 years ago, through an act of supreme stupidity by myself and three other young men, I was caught in a similar situation to that of the Bounty in more or less the same area. We were lucky to survive. I just can't imagine anyone who has gone through a hurricane in a small boat talking as blithely about it as Walbridge did in that interview.
Well, since we're placing bets, I'll wager that we will never learn - through the Official Investigation, or otherwise - the names/dates of the 2 hurricanes it is claimed the BOUNTY "sailed through" previously...

Not to mention, any of the other "too many to count" his wife refers to...

Anyone who claims to have experienced 70-foot swells from a hurricane several hundred miles distant, is more than just "being cute'...

He is absolutely full of it...
therapy23 and chef2sail like this.
Old 11-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
..He is absolutely full of it...
We're officially using the term "blowhard" now.
chef2sail and SloopJonB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-27-2012

Originally Posted by casey1999
Question:
When the next HMS Bounty is built for the movie "The Sinking of the Bounty" will this Bounty actually be sunk at the end of the movie, or will it be kept as a dock side attraction and sailed toward a hurricane 50 years later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thought the above amendment might drive the point even further.
Yes, good. It is also a way we can have never ending sequels to the Bounty tragedy.
xymotic and JulieMor like this.
Old 11-28-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
For the guys arguing about benefits/problems with chart plotters, this story just came out- real interesting:
Scientists 'undiscover' South Pacific island - CNN.com

CNN) -- An international scientific expedition has revealed a South Pacific island roughly the size of Manhattan and clearly marked on online maps and marine charts does not, in fact, exist.

The 'undiscovery' of the island -- which until now was midway between Australia and New Caledonia -- highlights how much there still is to learn about the oceans, scientists say.

"We saw this mysterious island on all the scientific maps and weather maps but not on this one navigational chart that was on our ship," Ph.D student Sabin Zahirovic, part of the research team on board the RV Southern Surveyor, told CNN.

"So we decided to go see if it was actually there."

The undiscovery was made during the ship's voyage this month. Although the team had originally planned to check out the existence of the island during the day, they had arrived at the location of the island at night due to a navigational error.

"We were watching all of our depth-sounding equipment. Luckily for us the sea floor turned out to be very deep there," said Zahirovic, who is studying the tectonic evolution of the eastern Coral Sea.

The implications are significant

Although the undiscovery of the island was not part of the original research mission of the international team of scientists led by University of Sydney's Dr. Maria Seton, the implications of the wrong maps are significant.

"All the scientific cartography relies on these maps, and numerical simulations of waves and currents depend on size of these land forms," said Zahirovic.

"It just goes to show the oceans are so underexposed. It's actually really shocking that we haven't not found more islands."

Can anyone pull up this on their chart plotter to see if it shows up, I will try on mine in next few days. Island is called both Sandy Island by Google Maps and Sable Island on others?
Do you know what the coordinates are? It would be interesting to see if it's on Google Earth or on my Jeppesen charts.
Old 11-28-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Do you know what the coordinates are? It would be interesting to see if it's on Google Earth or on my Jeppesen charts.
Yep. That's the URL for google maps. And the lat and Lon are in there the -19 v 159 me. I am on the stupid iPad so I can't resolve it properly for you. Remember its east and south! Not west and north lol

It's just a cartographers mark so they can tell if anyone is ripping off their maps.
Code:
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sandy+Island,+Australasia&aq=0&oq=sandy+island+austr&sll=41.402788,-98.178844&sspn=54.265531,79.013672&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sandy+Island&ll=-19.224657,159.943123&spn=4.318757,4.938354&z=8
You have to scroll lft to get to the LandL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post

I do not know. Did some more searching but found no new information, although a lot of articles on the subject. I went to google yesterday to try to find the island. Strange thing when I was zoomed out on the island, it looked like it was on the map, but when I zoomed in it disappeared. I think Google was in the process of removing it from the data base.

Some articles say a "fake" island may be put on a chart or map by the map/chart maker. That way, if someone illegally plagiarizes the map/chart, the maker will know. But another article says this is not done on charts, as the entire chart would not be trusted if a fake island were found on it.
Old 11-28-2012

More on Sandy Island:

Sandy Island does exist - on a 1908 chart ? The Register

Sandy Island does exist - on a 1908 chart
Auckland librarian spots early citation of contentious isle

By Richard Chirgwin • Get more from this author

Posted in Science, 25th November 2012 23:09 GMT

A librarian at Auckland Museum has shed a little bit of light on the possible origins of the “island that isn’t there”.

The difficult-to-eradicate Sandy Island, which isn’t in the Coral Sea between Australia and New Caledonia, drew attention last week when an Australian scientific expedition sailed to the chart-marked location to find open ocean. As Vulture South noted at the time, the latest voyage seemed to replicate an “undiscovery” of the island in 2000 by a group of radio amateurs.

Auckland Museum’s Greg Meylan writes that a pictorial librarian at the institution, Shaun Higgins, has located a 1908 edition of a Pacific Ocean chart first compiled in 1875 that seems to be the earliest in the museum’s collection to record Sandy Island.

The chart, which indicates a too-big-to-miss landmass more than 30 km long (considerably larger than it appeared to be in last week's stories), states that the island was discovered on an 1876 voyage by a vessel called Velocity. However, the chart also cautions that its source information might not be reliable:

“Caution is necessary while navigating among the low lying islands of the Pacific Ocean. The general details have been collated from the voyages of various navigators extending over a long series of years. The relative position of many dangers may therefore not be exactly given”.

The Register expects the next move for historians will be to try and work out whether Velocity’s logs are preserved anywhere, to see if the vessel mis-recorded an island it encountered, or merely compiled an earlier error into its maps.

Auckland Museum has images of the chart in its Flickr account, here.

It's easiest to spot the island on this 2000x1600 image. To do so, click on the link above, click on the resulting image to enlarge near the northern tip of New Caledonia. Next, cast your gaze about 7cm to the left, and 1.5 cm up. You'll soon see Sandy Island to the right of Brompton Reefs.

The discovery of the older chart seems to put paid to one theory for the presence of the island on online maps, that it was a digitisation error.

In that story, Sydney University geologist Sabin Zahirovic makes the good point that the Coral Sea, so familiar and nearby to Australians, is poorly-explored.

Here is the chart link:

To make chart show up, click on the title of this attachment

Last edited by casey1999; 11-28-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2012

Makes me sea sick just watching...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.