Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I can't remember ever seeing a keel stepped boat with its mast snapped off ...
Sorry mate, give it a discount to my English. I agree that it is not likely to happen, in fact I did never saw it either.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Mark, guessing you mean illusion, facade is a better term. Anyway, HMS Bounty was hardly EITHER of those.
I meant illusion.
Hollywood uses illusions. The shop front in the photo is a facade, but the helicopter could be a quarter size model placed closer to the camera... "Trick photography".

I respect your research and yours is a good post.

But that ship would have been built to give the illusions needed for the film.... Deck space for the actors and the camera crews.
And the below decks didnt make money nor would ever be considered to be film able as the interiors would have been done on sets.

It may have been to many people eyes an ocean going ship but, it may seem strang, by Hollywood are a bunch of penny punchers, listen to the producer talking to the naval architect:
three masts!
But to hove to nicely in a storm, it needs....
Bull! I want three masts and there's no storm scene! And the forestry thingy needs to come back here so Brando can slide down it. Better reinforce it!

But we will never know quite how well it was constructed... The Captain obviously thought it was tough...

Quote:
Biography - Captain Robin Walbridge

According to Captain Robin Walbridge, Bounty has no boundaries. As her captain, he is well known for his ability and desire to take Bounty to places that no ship has gone before.
http://www.tallshipbounty.org/the-sh...nWalbridge.php

Some of the things he said may have been facade... Or illusion... Or worse, delusion.
Brewgyver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Mark, guessing you mean illusion, facade is a better term. Anyway, HMS Bounty was hardly EITHER of those. I have seen film shot by MGM during the building of the boat. I have not been able to locate it online, but did find this video on Turner Classic Movies site:
Tour-of-the-Bounty-1962-Original-Movie-Promo-.html
The video only covers her stops from Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle and San Francisco. In just those fours stops close to a half million people toured her. That doesn't bespeak a fragile movie prop.

You state "They put in sufficient for that job" but you offer absolutely nothing to back that up that opinion.

Here's a contrasting opinion, that of former Bounty owner Robert Hansen:

While Mr. Hansen understandably takes a modest amount of credit for Bounty's continued existence, he offers thanks to a special group of those who preceded him. "The only reason Bounty is here today is because those craftsmen (in 1960) built her to be an ocean-bearing vessel," he states emphatically.

It's just not fair to dismiss it as nothing more than a prop.
It was a movie prop, and now a prop at the bottom of the ocean. The ship was not built to sail, it was built to hold movie equipment and crew. And apparently recently the ballast was changed to even accomadate more passagers. The ship was not designed to the original Bounty specification in any way, the dimensions were much different.

Give me the specs of the "movie ship" Bounty;
1. Would she sail or motor on passages?
2. What were here storm tatics?
3. How close to the wind could she sail?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by casey1999; 12-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

I agree it almost doesn't matter how well it was built. The design specification was based on how it would look, not how it would float or sail.

Can we make it bigger to allow a camera dolly? "sure, OK"

THere was not a lot of calculation put in to righting moment and sail area or top speed, why would there be? And we do know that it was not built to the normal standard of the day for a ship of that type, the stringers were pretty far apart, etc. Whether or not it was 'strong enough' seems kinda irrelevant to me.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 12-05-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
(snippage)
Well, people learning to first sail aboard more sensibly sized boats might be a start...

Among the boats I delivered this year were a Gozzard 44, and a Cabo Rico 42, to new owners... In each case, they were the FIRST boat - of any size or kind - that either one had ever owned...

On the CR, I could hardly see around the plotter... (grin)
(Image snipped for those on 1200 baud dial up )
Jon, that seems like a really good point. Since we're waiting, may I interrupt to ask something? I'm on my first sail boat (30' Catalina), and when I was shopping for it I wondered if I was pushing the edge of too big. I had found a good deal on a 25, but almost had a concussion trying to stand up in the cabin. So then it was between a 27 and 30. I have since been told by a couple of my saltier dockmates that the 30 was a good choice. I would value your opinion, along with the other more experienced posters here. TIA.
Old 12-05-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Concussions suck.
Stay with having room to stand without injury.
Old 12-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

30 Cat is a good boat. Is it a tall rig?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Do you really know that? I'm asking because I really would like to know. I read that it was built by a reputable ship building company.

It was. But the company had not built a sailing ship for 80 years!

Old 12-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Found this vid, it answers some of my questions:

From comments on video:
"Sailing the Bounty II from Maine to Puerto Rico. In this video we're furling the fore-course sail because it's ripped up at one of the seams. We didn't get to finish because the fore-topmast snapped above us while we were aloft. You can see it hanging in the last few seconds. "

"We did do a lot of "motor sailing" to save time but when there's enough wind the engines don't really help much. I think in this video we weren't using them, except maybe to run the generators."

"And sorry, I don't remember how fast we were going but this isn't a particularly fast boat. I think 6 knots was about average but given these conditions we might've been going faster"

Last edited by casey1999; 12-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Found this vid, it answers some of my questions:....
Cool vid, but makes me laugh to think about people that say my cockpit is way too big to have the lines close enough on a blue water passage. I may keep this handy.

Also, seeing a modern inflatable on the deck, just seemed wrong. Whatever salty credit was due for climbing the rigging, was negated in my book.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.