Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Casey, these boats were like that, they break a lot and need a lot of maintenance, specially in what regards smaller spars. That is why on the original Bounty crew (as in any other boat of that time) a carpenter and two helping hands (one of them qualified) were part of the crew. Some breakage was to be expected in any voyage.

Regards

Paulo
Realize that, but both the below deck and the sailing video show the ship in my opinion very poor condition. I have sailed on sqaure riggers and have climbed square rigger mast to furl and unfurl sails. I would be very nervous climbing the mast of the Bounty in the condition it is shown in the video.

The below deck video shows the ship to be a mess. Look at the engine room, parts all over the place, parts are loose and can be tossed around. Tools boxes with loose lids. The engine room looks like a fire hazard. Even the nav station looks to be a mess.

Last edited by casey1999; 12-06-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Mark,
Went to your web site looking for your videos, but could not find. There were however a lot of pics of beuatiful people and not so much of actual sailing. How about some more pics of sailing in some extreme conditions. Must have had a lot on a circumnavigation.
Hum, I kind of of have the same problem in what regards to take photos with the boat at speed or in demanding occasions. On those occasions I am too occupied with the boat and have nobody else to take photos

If I leave the boat with my wife to pick a photo she starts to scream at me.
She is not afraid if I am at the wheel but she refuses to take the boat on demanding conditions and get scared of if I put the boat in auto-pilot...so, I have not photos at speed or with bad weather.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
Hum, I kind of of have the same problem in what regards to take photos with the boat at speed or in demanding occasions. On those occasions I am too occupied with the boat and have nobody else to take photos

If I leave the boat with my wife to pick a photo she starts to scream at me.
She is not afraid if I am at the wheel but she refuses to take the boat on demanding conditions and get scared of if I put the boat in auto-pilot...so, I have not photos at speed or with bad weather.

Regards

Paulo
I am thinking mount a waterproof camera so that all you need to do is push a button when you want to start making those "action" videos.
Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
I am thinking mount a waterproof camera so that all you need to do is push a button when you want to start making those "action" videos.
Yes, that's the way to do it
Old 12-06-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yes, but that is left up to the states indigually and there are many variations. Some like Alaska, Montana, Texas....there is little real inspection except brakes. Some like Pa, MD California it is more extenisve (snippage)
Paulo and Dave, I don't know about other states, because I've only owned cars here in California, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that California does NOT have ANY mandatory inspections for private cars, light trucks or motorcycles, other than for emissions (Smog Check). As far as commercial vehicles go, large trucks have to stop at Calilfornia Highway Patrol truck inspection stations, but even that is usually a simple weigh-in, not an operational inspection.
Old 12-06-2012

Guess that are not only in pleasure boats that Europe has a different policy in what regards inspections. Here, and in all EC, cars have mandatory inspections regarding safety on the road.

If I remember right, a new car does not have inspections for 3 of four years, after that it has a mandatory inspection every year. a inspection is not expensive, 25 euros or so and it takes only half an hour. It is made on local inspection centers that are certified for that, very well equipped and everything is inspected in several complicated machines: Brakes, suspension, direction, structure, rust, lights, emissions, tires and some more things I have probably forget. If the car fails in anything you have a given period of time to fix it, otherwise the car will not get a licence to circulate.

If the police get's you on the road with a car without a valid inspection title you pay a huge fine and you have a time for getting it approved on a inspection other wise the car will be put out of service.

With boats it is much the same thing, except that it is less industrialized, I mean, the inspection.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-06-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
. How about some more pics of sailing in some extreme conditions. Must have had a lot on a circumnavigation.
One doesn't have extreme conditions when one sails in the correct season!

That's why I am alive and certain captain is dead.

3 minutes

2:40 minutes

4 minutes
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-06-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
One doesn't have extreme conditions when one sails in the correct season!
Then your not really sailing. You do not have to die to sail in extreme conditions. Proper boat, equipment, and experience.
Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
Realize that, but both the below deck and the sailing video show the ship in my opinion very poor condition. I have sailed on sqaure riggers and have climbed square rigger mast to furl and unfurl sails. I would be very nervous climbing the mast of the Bounty in the condition it is shown in the video.

The below deck video shows the ship to be a mess. Look at the engine room, parts all over the place, parts are loose and can be tossed around. Tools boxes with loose lids. The engine room looks like a fire hazard. Even the nav station looks to be a mess.
I had saw the movie in HD and understood what you mean. In fact there are ropes that have seen better days and should have been changed. Regarding the machine room, well, I had already suspected that by those photos that were posted. Yes, even if the guy with the Camera is pointing all around the global picture is very poor. Pity that he does not show with detail the electric installation and pumps, but given the global picture and the photos I have seen, that boat would not have passed in any serious inspection.

I guess that it was that part and not the hull or the structure that was in worse shape. It was not by accident that the guy from the shipyard says that the boat was sound (the hull, structure and rig) but says that he had not done any revision in what regards the engines or generators.

I was also impressed by the fact that with relatively stormy weather the guys and girls up on the rig doesn't seem to know what they are doing, with the exception of an older guy that alone have done more than all the other put together. I guess that with that weather the ones up there should have been the more able crewmen that were available so...I was really impressed with the quality,experience and efficiency of their most able crewmen

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-06-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't understand your point. On top of the image it is said that those statistics refers to two different frequencies. How difficult it is two see that the two colors represent the two different frequencies? the larger percentage is at sea and as you can see regarding the number of people saved that percentage is even more significant. The black graphic regards nunber of people saved and since not only the percentage of sea rescues is bigger as it is much bigger the percentage of saved people I don't understand how can you say that the black graphic means nothing.
Paulo, I'm going to say it ONE more time. Without defining exactly how this BUSINESS defines the terms used in the graphics you posted, they are of little probative value.

The graphic uses the word "rescue" but we don't know what circumstances they are using to qualify an "SAR Event" as a rescue. Hell, we don't even know what circumstances constitute an "SAR Event". It is quite possible, even LIKELY, that they are counting every activation of a transmitter as an "SAR Event."

Now we can add to that issue the fact that you have actually CHANGED the words used. You used the word "saved" many times. The graphic doesn't use that word. "Save" has very specific implications.