Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
yes, some of this new stuff could only come from Barksdale but it is meaningful that he is not directly quoted or interviewed like if he wanted to talk but not come openly publicly in what regards this. I guess that many would have wanted to interview him if he was available.

quote:

He had also had few conversations with the other crewmembers, which is why he hadn't even heard that a storm was approaching….

"I know that some of you all have been getting e-mails and phone calls regarding the hurricane," Walbridge told his crew as he stood on the deck. Then he said that the ship would be safer out at sea than in port…..

When Barksdale saw the engine room for the first time, before the trip began, he wanted to clean it up, but there was no time for that. New fuel tanks had been installed, and he spent his first three weeks connecting the tanks to the engines, laying the pipes and securing the connections….

Early Sunday morning, Barksdale shut off one of the two generators for maintenance work. ….

As the generator cooled down, Barksdale escaped the hot engine room for an hour. During that time, the gauge on the day tank, which contains a one-day supply of fuel for the engines, was smashed. Barksdale saw the damage when he returned, but he didn't notice that the tank was almost empty. According to the gauge, there was still enough fuel in the tank. Barksdale didn't notice the error until the generator failed……

He was exhausted, the result of being thrown back and forth in the engine room. His body was covered with bruises, his leg hurt, he had injured his index finger and he could hardly breathe. Nevertheless, he managed to keep at least one generator running. But the water was rising underneath the floorboards. Barksdale noticed that the power from the generator was fluctuating, and that the bilge pumps, which are supposed to pump water out of the ship, seemed to be clogged. They weren't pumping quickly enough, and the water level kept rising. Taking on Water….

The water was now almost two meters high inside the Bounty….

At about 4 a.m., Barksdale realized that he had lost his battle against the water in the engine room.

A Legendary Ship's Final Hours Battling Sandy - ABC News....
On another interview, or in the same but now published wit more details Barksdale says:

quote:

Barksdale said the ship was being hit by 70 mph winds and 30-foot seas. Over the next several hours, the main engines failed, leaving the boat without propulsion and without the hydraulic pumps. It became impossible to fight the water level inside the boat’s hull, which was rising about 2 feet each hour, Barksdale acknowledged.

“It was clear the boat was filling with water but I don’t understand entirely why that happened and I’m not going to speculate. We were taking on more water than we were pumping out.” The second generator was the last to fail….

Barksdale was being overwhelmed in the engine room and other crew members, including Walbridge and Svendsen, rushed to spell him, trying to keep the pumps free of clogging debris.
“I couldn’t take more than an hour at a time in there,” Barksdale said, describing how he was becoming increasingly seasick, drained by the 100-degree heat and battered as the ship twisted and turned in the waves and wind.

…“You had to hold on to something solid with one hand and try to clear the pumps with the other, trying not to bang your head or crash against something the whole time. I was just exhausted and so was everyone else,” Barksdale said.

Read more: FOCUS: HMS Bounty's burial at sea - Fall River, MA - The Herald News..

He talks about 70mph winds and not 30 or 35k winds and from this it seems that really the boat had a big problem with clogged pumps.

Last edited by PCP; 12-07-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I find it strange that no one ever says why the engines "failed" ...
Cheap duct tape
Old 12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Seems like a rehash of an older article. I find it strange that no one ever says why the engines "failed" and why they couldn't restart them.
Yes, that is very important because two of the pumps, a all system, an hydraulic one, was directly connected to the engines and I don't know if it was not the main one.

In fact in the late 90's when the Bounty had an incident that does not seam very different than this accident (except in the outcome). The main pumping system was then a diesel one (that went out of service) and the back up system, the electric one, was not able to cope with the ingress of water. At the time CG delivered them some diesel pumps and they were able to save the boat.

They did not replace that diesel powered pump system and they seem to have replaced it with this hydraulic system driven directly by the two engines (two pumps).

I would like very much to know what was the main system (with bigger capacity) and the back up system. That never comes out and it is obviously very important.

Anyway it is very important to know why the engines stop working specially because they drove one of the pumping systems.

It is also very important to know if with the two pumping systems working the water coming in was more than the one they could send out and that lead to the flooding of the engine room that lead to engines out of service or the engines went out of service by any other reason and that lead to an insufficient pumping capacity and was a direct cause of the accident?

What was the role that clogging of the pumps by a dirty bilge has played in all this? The pumping capacity was Ok and the problem was the clogging? or the clogging was just a marginal problem?

These are some questions that Barksdale can answer and that I consider important to better understand better how it happened.

Regards

Paulo
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 12-08-2012

bluenotgreen is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

i had a chance to work/crew on that ship while she was in Fall River ma.!998? always loved square-riggers- she was leaking bad- coast guard wouldnt let her leave port to boston.. my frend (is a proffesional shipwright(HMS ROSE re-fit) ,we built the last(wooden)Wenaumet Kitten(catboat) together at Bigelow's Boats Bourne mass) warned me to stay away from her- she was built as a movie prop- cheap/fast- and he didnt consider her safe.oct. i sailed out of Edg.Mass (sat.late oct-after the n'easter right after Sandy) , had a clear window w/highs from mich. to bermuda-my destination.solo. on a columbia sabre that i adopted/strengthened... 3 days out/south Nantucket/off soundings/gulf stream 4pm sky turned black, seas built to 20-30'- even higher,criss-crossing behind me, pooped constantly/loss 12v/pump/VHF/GPS, made s/w when i could... after 6days of this freak n'easter (out of SE?) i was getting too tired to stay awake, realized i was gonna die if i didnt get inshore, and set my course/lashed tiller for WEST, got into green water, got my anchor ready and fell asleep from exhaustion, woke up 10pm boat ontop of tidal surge surfing into shore one mile out. got off wave,jib alone,tried turning when another 8'surge pooped me, couldnt find anchor shackle) grabbed my passport/wallet, 4,5 waves planted me on the beach-SouthernShores,OuterBanks NC,barely got my feet wet but homeowners 911 me to hospital- a little chilled but alive... fatigue/exhaustion had me a little confused/dis-oriented through the ordeal but thats the last time i nod off in a n'easter _gerald nordstrom
Old 12-09-2012

Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
People who aren't reckless generally don't brag about chasing hurricanes.

Just saying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
He wasn't bragging, he was having fun with a reporter.. It's called a sense of humor. He didn't "chase hurricanes". It was one offhand remark to a small town reporter that has been totally blown out of proportion. You cannot judge a person based on one remark when you don't know the context or intent. He has dozens of other interviews but no one talks about those. People want a story, so they will sensationalize whatever they can. Capt. Walbridge had a deep respect for the sea and felt weather was something that you managed. It's so easy to pass judgement on someone who can't defend himself.
Old 12-09-2012

Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think you may have a better understanding of how emotions drive what one says (types) than you know.

If I had a friend kill someone, I can't say I would no longer consider them a friend, but I may not. That wouldn't mean we never were.

Unquestionably, in my opinion, he was reckless on a least this one passage. If I take him at his word (interview, personal profile, etc), he certainly was reckless on other occasions as well. It had to be purposeful, as he would otherwise have to be incredibly incompetent not to know of the danger and that does not seem to be the case. I've know many kind souls who were reckless for a variety of reasons. The dearly departed Captain had gotten away with it before, which is the devil's way of getting you to be reckless again.
Could you provide examples of when he was "reckless on other occasions"?
Old 12-09-2012
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
He wasn't bragging, he was having fun with a reporter..
Except that he was describing pretty much exactly what he did when the opportunity presented itself.

If a man is heard to say to his wife, "I'll kill you, bitch.", and later backs his car over her in the driveway; maybe it was an accident but there will always be a suspicion.

We'll never know for sure exactly what was in his mind in the interview or in those final hours but he has left a legacy that will probably be part of the lore of the sea for as long as that of the Captain of the original ship.
Old 12-09-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He wasn't bragging, he was having fun with a reporter.. It's called a sense of humor. He didn't "chase hurricanes". It was one offhand remark to a small town reporter that has been totally blown out of proportion. You cannot judge a person based on one remark when you don't know the context or intent. He has dozens of other interviews but no one talks about those. People want a story, so they will sensationalize whatever they can. Capt. Walbridge had a deep respect for the sea and felt weather was something that you managed. It's so easy to pass judgement on someone who can't defend himself.
I would agree with that EXCEPT for he followed up the remark with a pretty detailed explanation about not getting in front of a hurricane and staying on the 'safe' side.

He also made comments about having been in 60' waves aboard bounty. I'd say that was pretty clearly an exaggeration for the reporter, but in retrospect sure seems like bravado. ANd as I said before there is a big difference between a 60' swell and a 60' breaking wave.

and THEN he told the crew:

"I know that some of you all have been getting e-mails and phone calls regarding the hurricane," Walbridge told his crew as he stood on the deck. Then he said that the ship would be safer out at sea than in port….."

And THEN he in fact steered that ship towards a hurricane and as far as I'm aware was the ONLY mariner in the entire country that did so. The navy left port and ran away from the hurricane at high speed. I've not heard of a SINGLE other captain setting out at all, much less heading for "the graveyard of the Atlantic."

He should have been joking but clearly wasn't

I don't mean to offend, but is seems like your're a new user and your username indicates perhaps you may be a little too close to this event emotionally.

Last edited by xymotic; 12-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2012

Quote:
Could you provide examples of when he was "reckless on other occasions"?
The crew and himself had said that the Bounty had sailed already in several hurricanes. I would call an reckless act to sail that ship near any hurricane. The fact that he had get away with it on previous occasions does not make that less reckless than on this occasion, only more lucky.

Regards

Paulo
chef2sail and Brewgyver like this.
Old 12-09-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

HMS BOUNTY: Many Unanswered Questions

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.