Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
Could you provide examples of when he was "reckless on other occasions"?
Welcome aboard. I guess your screen name indicates your interest in this topic and you've made it clear that you intend to be defensive.

The other occasions are well documented in interviews with the crew and his wife and, I believe in his and/or the ship's blog, which have all been discussed and linked in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
............ seems like your're a new user and your username indicates perhaps you may be a little too close to this event emotionally.
This is a good observation and it would probably help this discussion if Bountydaughter would clarify her relationship/interest in the Bounty scenario.

Hopefully she's clear on the source of the letter referred to earlier.. it was not the work of any Sailnet member, but in fact an acquaintance of the skipper..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-09-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
............ seems like your're a new user and your username indicates perhaps you may be a little too close to this event emotionally.

This is a good observation and it would probably help this discussion if Bountydaughter would clarify her relationship/interest in the Bounty scenario.

Hopefully she's clear on the source of the letter referred to earlier.. it was not the work of any Sailnet member, but in fact an acquaintance of the skipper..
That may be correct and I also thought so.

This is a quick and easy way to possibly dismiss someones opinion which they have a right to and carries just as much validity as anyone elses. Why i understand the logic it can be flawed and to dismiss out of hand an opinoin because they had a close realtionship to the crew without investigating is dismissive. It means you cannot have an opinion which is relevant or correct which is not so. It was the primary reason I did not disclose my relationship to the Captain as many would just pooh pooh my opinions as because I was knew him.

Thats like saying we shoulkd dismiss Minniewaska opinions about an airplane crash because he is a pilot and knew the pilot and we know he will side with the pilot to the death and cant be objective. ( Sorry to use you as an example)

If the opinions are STRICTLY emotional and not centered in some kind of logic or reality, that is a good reason to question.
xymotic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-09-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
And THEN he in fact steered that ship towards a hurricane...
According to the Weather Channel documentary and testimony from the crew, the Bounty headed SSE out of New London, CT. One of the crew (I think it was Doug Faunt) said that at one point they adjusted course to head SW toward the leeward side of the hurricane.

Josh Scornavacchi said when they all had been given the choice to stay ashore or sail into the hurricane, they all chose to go because they had faith in the captain and themselves and had been in storms far worse than Hurricane Sandy.

All three crew members who were interviewed in the documentary said the entire crew was aware of the intent by Walbridge to sail Bounty into a hurricane.
Old 12-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
According to the Weather Channel documentary and testimony from the crew, the Bounty headed SSE out of New London, CT. One of the crew (I think it was Doug Faunt) said that at one point they adjusted course to head SW toward the leeward side of the hurricane.
Of course, you have to sail SE to get out of Long Island Sound from New London. I don't recall seeing much, if any, SE progress long after they cleared Montauk.

Quote:
Josh Scornavacchi said when they all had been given the choice to stay ashore or sail into the hurricane, they all chose to go because they had faith in the captain and themselves and had been in storms far worse than Hurricane Sandy.

All three crew members who were interviewed in the documentary said the entire crew was aware of the intent by Walbridge to sail Bounty into a hurricane.
How could they possibly have been able to rationally process their faith in themselves? How many indicated that they had been in a hurricane before? How many had heavy weather experience on Bounty, let alone a Tall Ship, let alone any ship?

Faith in the Captain, for sure, but that's obvious from the fact they stayed aboard. The Captain had to have given them reason to believe this was an acceptable risk.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-09-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I am sorry, Julie but none were given an option to stay on shore.
They were given an option to be SACKED IMMEDIATLY!

none were offered alternate transport to the next port. they were given one hour to be thrown out of their HOME.

With NO MONEY

NO TRANSPORT

NO PLACE TO SLEEP.

Now, if I arrive at your house tonight and offer to chuck you OUT with no money, no car and no place to stay what do you do?

Mark

Old 12-09-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

And making it known that you don't have loyalty to a captain of 17 years on that same ship.

Nor loyalty to the rest of the crew.

And you are a whimp who doesn't like waves.

No. The peer preasure of bullying is right in this one.

"If you can't hack it you can go. NOW!"
Sal Paradise likes this.

Old 12-09-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

none were offered alternate transport to the next port. they were given one hour to be thrown out of their HOME.

With NO MONEY

NO TRANSPORT

NO PLACE TO SLEEP.

Now, if I arrive at your house tonight and offer to chuck you OUT with no money, no car and no place to stay what do you do?

Mark
Do you know for a fact they were never offered alternative transport?

How does volunteering as a crew on a boat make that one's "HOME"?

Say you've just taken your seat aboard a commercial flight about to depart from SFO, and the captain welcomes you aboard with an announcement of his stated attempt to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge before proceeding to Sydney... Are you gonna remain aboard that plane, simply because you're uncertain about where you might wind up having to SLEEP that night?
Old 12-09-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Of course, you have to sail SE to get out of Long Island Sound from New London. I don't recall seeing much, if any, SE progress long after they cleared Montauk.

How could they possibly have been able to rationally process their faith in themselves? How many indicated that they had been in a hurricane before? How many had heavy weather experience on Bounty, let alone a Tall Ship, let alone any ship?

Faith in the Captain, for sure, but that's obvious from the fact they stayed aboard. The Captain had to have given them reason to believe this was an acceptable risk.
The WC documentary said something about being around 90 miles SSE of New London. Faunt said he wasn't sure who made the decision to change course but that they headed SW from that point.

In the ABC interview one of the crew said he had been in at least two other hurricanes with the Bounty. In the WC doc, Scornavacchi and Faunt both said they had sailed in heavy weather before Sandy. Scornavacchi, after having experienced Sandy, said that they had been in weather worse than Sandy before. So at least three of the crew members testified they had been in serious storms before leaving New London.

Quote:

With NO MONEY

NO TRANSPORT

NO PLACE TO SLEEP.

Mark
Mark, I am only relaying what the crew said. In both the ABC interview and the WC doc, they made it sound like Walbridge was being very understanding if anyone chose not to go with him out of New London. But I agree with you, had they chosen to stay ashore they would have been left stranded and probably been immediately replaced, that is if there was anyone hanging around the dock at the moment ready to sail into a hurricane.
Old 12-09-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And making it known that you don't have loyalty to a captain of 17 years on that same ship.

Nor loyalty to the rest of the crew.

And you are a whimp who doesn't like waves.

No. The peer preasure of bullying is right in this one.

"If you can't hack it you can go. NOW!"
Do you happen to have a cite for the evidence of such "pressure" applied by Walbridge prior to leaving New London?

As in, what he said precisely, to "make that known"?

Last edited by JonEisberg; 12-09-2012 at 05:49 PM.