Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
I'm finding this all pretty offensive, but I will address the notoriety question
Sparlepl3nty

Sorry if you find this offensive. I understand the questions are difficult ones. I am just trying to get my head around why this boat was allowed to be sailed at all if it as substandard and as big an accident waiting to happen as YOU have said. If others who had more experience concerning this wouldnt even let their friends go sail on it. It must have been pretty bad.

If you read all the previous posts you will see that I have been a big defender of the Captain as well as the crew and have taken a lot of guff for it. In fact I had met him a few times, met his wife and saw him fairly recently and even let my daughter sail with him years ago. She in fact met his step daughter on another trip on a tall ship. I have been accused on here incessantly that my opinions are emottionally based on the fact that i knew Robin Walbridge

Quote:
All in all, please keep your allegations to yourself. We are still mourning the loss to our community

I share your loss even from a personal perspective. You are not the only one mourning Robin. If you truly have read these threads you will see that I have pretty much carried the flag in his support. The others posting on this thread have been the ones carrying on about his recklessness, his boasting, his cult figure brainwashing of the crew, and his what they called a suicide mission. I will always defend what I knew to be an honorable man who made a tragic mistake and paid for it.

Lastly I draw you attention to part of my very first post the Bounty on page 19 for which I have been lambasted continously about

Quote:
Slow down here, two people have died......hardly any of the facts are in yet. The ship left on the 25th,THE CG is remarkable. Those are really the only facts which are really undisputed and have been verified. There will be plenty of time to understand and process the facts and I am sure it will be done by real experts on the field and real lawyers rather thean the computer screen lawyers here. Then and only then will we really have the truth about this. Until then tell me....what pleasure do you derive from speculating on this.-Chef2sail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I am getting so tired of this. Having to prove everything I say, and having everything I say get challanged. Well really only by two of you who seem to have a vendetta

Paulo..Please get you facts straight again. Witchcraft IS considered a ClassB Tall ship. Now maybe it doesnt meet your standards, or whatever you have dreamed up for us what the standard is, but it seems to meet the standards for the OP Tall ship celebration in Baltimore held this summer.

Tall Ships
Not my standards. A tall ship sailor had said to you that is not a tall ship as any knowledgeable person would tell you. I guess that you even don't need to know nothing about tall ships but only about boats and ships to know that is not a ship. A ship with 60ft? Come on.

Classifications are what they are, the Tall Ship Bounty has classified as a non inspected 12 passenger vessel, the same classification that is given to big yachts and Bounty was certainly not a big yacht.

Here you have a reasonable explication about what is a tall ship and what qualifies a Ship (not a boat or yacht) as one:

quote:

"A tall ship is a large, traditionally-rigged sailing vessel. Popular modern tall ship rigs include topsail schooners, brigantines, brigs and barques. "

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Simple answer, I thought it was pretty self evident though unless you are looking for something. I am also not sure why I would even have answer this, but I guess I shall since your inuendo is I was doing something "tricky". I talked to him because he is a Tall Ship Captain, a member of the TSC and I wanted to see what his opinion was that seems kind of obvious isnt it.
But why are you asking. First one poster here wants to see proof through pictures and emails of my relationship with Walbridge, Now you wants to know why I talked with my friend...2 slips down from me in a marina who is the Captain of a registered Tall Ship classB about what another Tall Ship Community member said?? I thought I made that clear.

So what was the trick question? Do you know the Captain of the Witchcraft? Is the only what you were refering to. I dont get it...why would that be a trick question. Why would I even ask a trick question? What would I gain from that? Mark, maybe you can shed some light on your assertion as maybe not didnt really take away from it.

And why for having the opinion of the Captain of the Witchcraft about the Bounty you would need or have to show to him Sparkle post?

It seam to me that what you have done was to check directly with him what Sparkle had posted regarding the Bounty, replying to a question that you asked him.

I did not liked Sal to have asked you to prove the veracity of your statements regarding your friendship with Bounty's captain and I don't like what you have done with the Sparkle post, regarding checking the plausibility of its content directly with Witchcraft's Captain. Both things are not very different to my eyes.

You not only have done that as you have posted that you have done that. Why do you have posted that you have checked Sparkle post with Wichcraft Captain if not to intimidate him?.... on the same post that you said that he "come forward some way annonomously".

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-11-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2012

Wrong again Paulo....as I stated Witchcraft is classified by convention a CLASS B TALL SHIP

About Tall Ships

Quote:
About Tall Ships
Learn the Ropes > About Tall Ships
What is a tall ship?
The term “tall ship” is a generic term used to describe large sailing ships, most often representing historical vessels or replicas. The term may have had limited use throughout history; an experienced sailor likely would have referred to a ship by the design of its rig. The term “tall ship” probably took on more widespread use following the publication ofJohn Masefield’s poem “Sea Fever”in 1902.

Tall ships come in many shapes and sizes. The size of the vessel and its type are often determined by its mission and where it will sail. The first distinction between tall ships is the difference between a square-rigged vessel and a fore-and-aft rigged vessel.

Square riggers have vertical masts that are crossed by yards, large wooden or steel beams that run perpendicular to the length of the ship’s hull. Sails spread below each of these yards. Large square-rigged vessels may have yards on one or more of its masts, and spread many acres of sails. They may also have some sails that run fore and aft, along the length of the ship. Fore-and-aft rigged tall ships have sails that only run along the length of the ship, from the bow toward the stern. Some of these sails may be attached to a gaff or a boom, a wooden or steel beam similar to a yard, but running on a fore and aft axis with the ship’s hull.

Square-rigged ships have an advantage when using the trade winds, which blow in circular patterns across the earth’s surface and can power a sailing ship across vast expanses of ocean. Fore-and-aft rigged ships can generally sail at an angle closer to the wind and were often used for coastal trade. These are not hard and fast rules, and many hybrids, like the Baltimore clipper (a square topsail schooner), were built to take advantage of both types of sails.

(Information above courtesy ofOpSail 2012 Virginia.)

Tall Ship Rig Descriptions
(Click on thumbnails for larger images.)

Full-rigged ships have three or more masts, all square rigged.
Amerigo Vespucci is a full-rigged ship.

Barquentines (or barkentines) have three or more masts, with the foremast square-rigged and the others fore-and-aft rigged.
Gazela Primeiro is a barquentine.

Brigs have only two masts, both of which are square-rigged.
Niagara is a brig.

Brigantines have only two masts. The foremast is square-rigged, but the aft mast is fore-and-aft rigged.
Soren Larsen is a brigantine.

Schooners have two or more masts and may have both fore-and-aft and square-rigged sails. Schooners rigged with three or more masts have spars and rigging of uniform dimensions and scantlings for all masts, except the main boom of the aft mast, which is heavier and longer.

Square topsail schooners have both fore-and-aft and square-rigged sails. A topsail schooner can be distinguished by square sails on the foremast, but differs from the brigantine and barquentine by having a gaff sail aloft the foremast.
Pride of Baltimore II is a square topsail schooner.

Gaff-rigged schooners have fore-and-aft rigged sails attached to spars that are hoisted up the masts.
Virginia is a gaff-rigged schooner.

Staysail schooners have fore-and-aft rigged sails only, but not the large spars found on other schooners.

Ketches have two masts, each carrying a gaff-headed or jib-sail. They differ from two-masted schooners in that the larger mast and sail stand foremost, whereas in the schooner the reverse is true. The mizzenmast is stepped forward of the sternpost.

Sloops have only one mast.

This is only a partial list of rigs. Visit Learn More…for links to sites with additional information about tall ships.

Class Descriptions

Class A: All square-rigged vessels (full-rigged, barque, barquentine, brig or brigantine) and all other vessels over 40m (131 feet) in length overall (LOA).
Class B: Traditional-rigged vessels (i.e., gaff-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40m (131 feet) and with a waterline length (LWL) of at least 9.14m (30 feet).
Class C: Modern-rigged vessels (i.e., Bermudan-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40m (131 feet) and with a LWL of at least 9.14m (30 feet) not carrying spinnaker-like sails.

Class D: Modern-rigged vessels (i.e., Bermudan-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40m (131 feet) and with a LWL of at least 9.14m (30 feet) carrying spinnaker-like sails.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
You not only have done that as you have posted that you have done that. Why do you have posted that you have checked Sparkle post with Wichcraft Captain if not to intimidate him?.... on the same post that you said that he "
Thats a good question. What I meant by checking with the Captain of the Witchcraft was that I was checking with the Captain of the Witchcraft to see if he shared the same opinions on the Bounty as Sparlepl3enty.

I wasnt checking on Sparklepl3ty..I thanked him for posting actually.. I was just checking with another tall ship community member...a captain to see if he shared the same opinions thats all. The post sparklepl3ty made was after the first time I had talked to the Captain of the Witchcraft

Quote:
Why do you have posted that you have checked Sparkle post with Wichcraft Captain if not to intimidate him?.... on the same post that you said that he "come forward some way annonomously".
Heres what I said
Quote:
"Maybe you could go back to some of your frriends and have them post similarly as you or at least come forward some way annonomously to weigh in on this Bounty in this or other forums..
I was aware of them not wanting to be blackballed or retaliated against so if the could post anonomously they wouldnt have to fear that and we could hear from more of the TSC

I dont think you are reading what I said correctly and misquoting it. ( see above) I did not say the Captain of the Witchcraft said something anonomously.

Also I though maybe that Sparklepl3nty may also know the Captain of the Witchcraft and they maybe firends like ( its a small world) since they both sailed on the Prides and he spent a lot of time in the Baltimore area and on the Chesapeake. Sparklepl3nty said he didnt know him. Where is the intimidation in that? Please stop reading negative motives into everything I say

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-11-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I talked to him because he is a Tall Ship Captain, a member of the TSC and I wanted to see what his opinion was that seems kind of obvious isnt it.

Since then Sparklepl3nty has posted, so I showed him was he/ she said about the Bounty.

So what was the trick question? Do you know the Captain of the Witchcraft? Is the only what you were refering to. I dont get it...why would that be a trick question. Why would I even ask a trick question? What would I gain from that?

TerraServer - Aerial Photos & Satellite Images - The Leader In Online Imagery
Chef,

I could be wrong, but wasn't the question about the Witchcraft really about trying to discredit Sparkepl3nty? It sure sounded like, to me, that you were trying to show he didn't really know the TSC or ships in it. And that his posts were not true, but something fabricated....I could be wrong and if so, I apoligize.
But you took his posted statements and rewrote them to say things that he did not say, and again, it looked like you were twisting things to put the poster in a bad light. Then, you go to your friend the Witchcraft captain and show the posting to him, and as you said, you discussed the Bounty situation. And is it possible that your verbal words were just as different as the rewritten posts? The poster is posting things you do not want to hear. You believe great things about the Bounty captain and the ship. Even to the point that you let your daughter sail on it. And if it comes out that the poster and others are correct that the ship wasn't really up to standards and was operated in less than safe condition, that would indicate you unknowingly may have endangered your daughter. So the poster is hitting at something you feel strongly about. And could it be that it might be a get even situation...he makes trouble and he'll get trouble?

Why would the captain operate the ship in that manner? He may have had no choice. He perhaps knew better, but funds were limited and he struggled the best he could. And he deserves credit for that. I have posted that I, by chance, talked with the relief captain of the brigantine Fritha (74 ft), docked in Beaufort, NC) about Bounty incident. He said he had sailed with Bounty captain and he had a high opinion of him also......or maybe he didn't want to say anything bad because, being a small community, he might put himself in jeapody. But, if the Bounty was struggling financially, then things would go undone and they would get by as best they could.

Last edited by NCC320; 12-12-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: correct spelling of ship
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Wrong again Paulo....as I stated Witchcraft is classified by convention a CLASS B TALL SHIP

About Tall Ships
Learn the Ropes > About Tall Ships
What is a tall ship?
The term “tall ship” is a generic term used to describe large sailing ships, most often representing historical vessels or replicas. The term may have had limited use throughout history; an experienced sailor likely would have referred to a ship by the design of its rig. The term “tall ship” probably took on more widespread use following the publication ofJohn Masefield’s poem “Sea Fever”in 1902.

Tall ships come in many shapes and sizes. The size of the vessel and its type are often determined by its mission and where it will sail. The first distinction between tall ships is the difference between a square-rigged vessel and a fore-and-aft rigged vessel.

Square riggers have vertical masts that are crossed by yards, large wooden or steel beams that run perpendicular to the length of the ship’s hull. Sails spread below each of these yards. Large square-rigged vessels may have yards on one or more of its masts, and spread many acres of sails. They may also have some sails that run fore and aft, along the length of the ship. Fore-and-aft rigged tall ships have sails that only run along the length of the ship, from the bow toward the stern. Some of these sails may be attached to a gaff or a boom, a wooden or steel beam similar to a yard, but running on a fore and aft axis with the ship’s hull.

Square-rigged ships have an advantage when using the trade winds, which blow in circular patterns across the earth’s surface and can power a sailing ship across vast expanses of ocean. Fore-and-aft rigged ships can generally sail at an angle closer to the wind and were often used for coastal trade. These are not hard and fast rules, and many hybrids, like the Baltimore clipper (a square topsail schooner), were built to take advantage of both types of sails.

(Information above courtesy ofOpSail 2012 Virginia.)

Tall Ship Rig Descriptions
(Click on thumbnails for larger images.)

Full-rigged ships have three or more masts, all square rigged.
Amerigo Vespucci is a full-rigged ship.

Barquentines (or barkentines) have three or more masts, with the foremast square-rigged and the others fore-and-aft rigged.
Gazela Primeiro is a barquentine.

Brigs have only two masts, both of which are square-rigged.
Niagara is a brig.

Brigantines have only two masts. The foremast is square-rigged, but the aft mast is fore-and-aft rigged.
Soren Larsen is a brigantine.

Schooners have two or more masts and may have both fore-and-aft and square-rigged sails. Schooners rigged with three or more masts have spars and rigging of uniform dimensions and scantlings for all masts, except the main boom of the aft mast, which is heavier and longer.

Square topsail schooners have both fore-and-aft and square-rigged sails. A topsail schooner can be distinguished by square sails on the foremast, but differs from the brigantine and barquentine by having a gaff sail aloft the foremast.
Pride of Baltimore II is a square topsail schooner.

Gaff-rigged schooners have fore-and-aft rigged sails attached to spars that are hoisted up the masts.
Virginia is a gaff-rigged schooner.

Staysail schooners have fore-and-aft rigged sails only, but not the large spars found on other schooners.

Ketches have two masts, each carrying a gaff-headed or jib-sail. They differ from two-masted schooners in that the larger mast and sail stand foremost, whereas in the schooner the reverse is true. The mizzenmast is stepped forward of the sternpost.

Sloops have only one mast.

This is only a partial list of rigs. Visit Learn More…for links to sites with additional information about tall ships.

Class Descriptions

Class A: All square-rigged vessels (full-rigged, barque, barquentine, brig or brigantine) and all other vessels over 40m (131 feet) in length overall (LOA).
Class B: Traditional-rigged vessels (i.e., gaff-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40m (131 feet) and with a waterline length (LWL) of at least 9.14m (30 feet).
Class C: Modern-rigged vessels (i.e., Bermudan-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40m (131 feet) and with a LWL of at least 9.14m (30 feet) not carrying spinnaker-like sails.

Class D: Modern-rigged vessels (i.e., Bermudan-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40m (131 feet) and with a LWL of at least 9.14m (30 feet) carrying spinnaker-like sails.

I guess that you have to look at a more credible site. That one is contradictory and does not make sense. They don't even know the difference between a boat and a ship

They say:

Quote:

What is a tall ship?

The first distinction between tall ships is the difference between a square-rigged vessel and a fore-and-aft rigged vessel.

and than they say that a 31ft traditional rigged sailboat is a tall ship?

It seems to me that someone was to explain them the difference between a small boat and a ship

Here it is the relevant and ridicule part:

quote:

Class B: Traditional-rigged vessels (i.e., gaff-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with a waterline length (LWL) of at least 9.14m (30 feet)

Class C: Modern-rigged vessels (i.e., Bermudan-rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an ...with a LWL of at least 9.14m (30 feet) not carrying spinnaker-like sails.

I have to tell a lot of guys that post here that they own TALL SHIPS.

Dave, do really you think that a 31 ft traditional boat qualifies as a tall ship?

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-11-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road

"Tall Ships" really is an open term.. I've certainly seen modern yachts calling themselves "classic yachts," when many folks' definition are about 50+ years old. Same goes for Tall Ships.

Like I said most of the time, they're larger boats and traditionally rigged. Classic boats add a fuzzy aspect, I usually refer to Tall Ships as traditional rigged boats with topmasts.

I have worked on two schooners (one with a topmast, one without) that were both 60'. Both of those are registered with Tall Ships America.

And yes, the classifications are so very contradicting, none of it really matters.
Old 12-12-2012

Quote:
I have worked on two schooners (one with a topmast, one without) that were both 60'. Both of those are registered with Tall Ships America.
As is Witchcraft

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-12-2012

jaginsd is on a distinguished road

Late in so maybe it's been pointed out already, but you can bet Bounty's owners would have LOVED to carry paying passengers to offset expenses but that pesky Jones Act disallowed it. Certification as a dockside attraction at least allowed her to participate in and get paid at TS events.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.