Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Just as a side note Witchraft resides in a slip which is either 84X18 or 74X18. My slip is 64X16, three down from it. Witchcrafts Slip is plenty big enough for many of the Class B Tall Ships to fit in.

To compare your modern vessels to Witchraft doesnt make sense. Shes all wood, built in 1903, wooden masts, Shes 13 ft longer than Colombuses ship the Nina.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Truly amazing, Factual evidence met with ridicule.

I would bet that the members on the large Tall ships and many other in the Tall ship community do not subject them to the ridicule and insult you have just done here.
They may beleive they have the original named tall ships but they probably accept the differing classes. Ill bet they share commradiere amongst all the classes of these tall ships, as they are united as a group of purists who love and are passionate about sailing these vanishing ships of another era in the tradition of the way they were sailed. This is to be admired not ridulculed.

I know the Captain of the WITCHCRAFT who I have watch work on her for the last 10 years meticulously would not be amused by your insults and ridicule, nor would the 25 boats racing in Helsinki next year.

I am sorry this does not fit into your own definitions of a tall ship. Really doesnt change things or make a differnce, as the facts are the facts and their not going to change. I had to change my definition, which really meant all I had to do was expand what I thought and put the vessels in classes, because of what I found. Sparklepl3enty is really the one who made me think about it and research it, and I was suprised by the results, but i do understand why there are different classes of tall ships.
Geez, Dave - get a grip...

No one is "ridiculing" the owners or crews who sail a beautiful vessel such as WITCHCRAFT...

What seems worthy of ridicule - whether it has been so determined by "professionals", or not - is a set of guidelines that essentially deem any sailing vessel, traditionally-rigged or not - worthy of being classified as some sort of class of "Tall Ship", simply by virtue of the fact that it has a LWL greater than 30 feet...

Perhaps I'm missing some essential distinction contained within the guidelines presented in your link, but I'm not seeing it... It appears that any vessel with a waterline of greater than 30' may be termed as a Class C or D Tall Ship... I don't care who might be insisting it is so, to maintain the absurd fiction that a boat like WING NUTS, for example, may be rightfully referred to as a "Tall Ship" simply staggers the imagination...

Old 12-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Witchcraft reminds me of the old classic boats that sail in the Nantucket Opera House Cup regatta. Beauties! Not a one refers to itself as a Tall Ship that I'm aware of, but many would seem to qualify. I suspect most would even reject the title as a bit silly. At the least, experience on these would be entirely irrelevant to that of an old square rigger.

If they like it, good for them, it isn't hurting anyone. But, I would hope they would admit the title engenders a more grandiose vision, despite the technical definition.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-12-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road

I hope you know I am laughing at the absurdity of this line of conversation. Tall Ships America has their classifications, but I can assure you, few Tall ship sailors give a whit. It is a term that is by no means standardized, and is a semi-fluid and broad term. Just as centuries ago, "ship" meant a 3+ masted ship(a full-rigged ship was defined as 3+ masts and square sails on all), and in modern times ships are only massive metal container vessels or Navy ships.

So really, no need to get your feathers ruffled.
Faster and Brewgyver like this.
Old 12-12-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

If you go back to the first tall ship race in 1956 you will see the people who organized the race saw it was very popular and formed a new organization. From there the whole tall ship genre has seen quite an evolution but somewhere in this loose classification that now exists was, most likely, profit motive.

For me, a tall ship is a large, square-masted sailing vessel like the one Cap'n Jack Sparrow and his crew sail.

No! Not that boat!

This boat!

PCP likes this.
Old 12-12-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
If you go back to the first tall ship race in 1956 you will see the people who organized the race saw it was very popular and formed a new organization. From there the whole tall ship genre has seen quite an evolution but somewhere in this loose classification that now exists was, most likely, profit motive.
Julie, you might be pleased to know Lady Washington played the Interceptor in that scene (historicalseaport dot org)
Old 12-12-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Truly amazing, Factual evidence met with ridicule.

I am sorry this does not fit into your own definitions .
Chef,
Talking about facts. Where do you get that your named S/V "Haleakula" is Hawaiian for "House of the Sun"? In Hawaiian "House of the Sun" is Haleakala". Not that it really matters, but "just the facts". "Haleakula" is not a Hawaiian word but if it were it would be "house of the field". Hale is house, Kula is field (or up country). "Kala" means Sun.
Old 12-12-2012

sparklepl3nty
Thanks for your input here. I actually crewed aboard the first "Pride" for a short time on the Chesapeake. I never saw any heavy weather with "Pride", but was curious how most of these tall ships would handle say a 60 knot blow in say 30 foot seas. Can they make any windward progress? Would they furl all sails and motor? Or would they hove to or run with the wind bare poles?
Regards
Old 12-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Poetic Liscence. We will will be changing the graphic to use the preferred spelling Haleakala. We have seen it spelled both ways when on Maui and have literature which said that.

Thanks for your concern and BTW what does that have to do with the topic?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-12-2012

Quote:
Poetic Liscence. We will will be changing the graphic to use the preferred spelling Haleakala. We have seen it spelled both ways when on Maui and have literature which said that.

Thanks for your concern and BTW what does that have to do with the topic?
Like many previous posts, it has nothing to do with the topic, but just want to make sure you have the "facts". If people on Maui were using the word "Haleakula", they are people who have not learned the spelling/meaning of the word or its pronunciation.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.