HMS Bounty in trouble... - Page 134 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree718Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1331  
Old 12-16-2012
chef2sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,828
Thanks: 28
Thanked 53 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 7
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I doubt a trained therapist could even guess what would be the best way for a particular individual to work out her grief. Obviously she voluntarily chose to participate in a particularly heated discussion about a controversial topic. No one is forcing her to post here.

Perhaps challenging her irrational beliefs will help her recover from this atrocity, and save her life someday in the future. I would assume she is not a family member, but is merely a former crew/cult member based on her apparent departure from reality and lack of logic in reasoning.

Here is the irrational thought process (which some of the Sailnet members seem to have adopted too):

1. Capt. Walbridge was experienced, well-liked and respected.

2. His crew would follow him anywhere. (And we should respect their opinion even though most on this listserv have more sailing and boat maintenance experience. [Riding as a passenger on a ship in the ocean and pulling on a halyard when instructed does not qualify one for much of anything].)

3. Therefore, Capt. Walbridge could not have done anything as monumentally stupid and reckless as sailing a poorly-maintained movie prop out into one of the largest storms in maritime history against the better judgment of almost every experienced mariner and professional captain with an ounce of common sense, thus causing the death of one innocent woman in his care and endangering dozens of people.

4. If only we could blame or invent something other than his obviously poor judgment as the root cause of this atrocity, thus we need to wait for the results of an investigation.
Inappropriate here. Unfeeling. And no on needs psychiatry over the internet. Thanks for caring

I would assume she is not a family member, but is merely a former crew/cult member based on her apparent departure from reality and lack of logic in reasoning.

So what should we assume about you? Assmption not in evidence counselor...if thats what you really are? Why not just give the poster the respect ANY poster deserves instead of instantly trashing them. Dont make this about me either. Its your words here. Its about what you posted.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-16-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1332  
Old 12-16-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,694
Thanks: 10
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I am not trying to "silence the discussion." I am merely suggesting that you not respond directly to her posts.

Are your really that desperate to pick a fight with this person? Is it really so important to you that you can't let a single person state her opinion without refuting it directly (including quoting her own words)?
Whoa. Who's desperate now?

This is a thread with discussion back and forth. When did it become off limits to quote another poster and reply?

Ironically, Bountydaughter's original post quoted another and poked Jan right in the eye (who, by the way, we do know is grieving the loss of his friend)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1333  
Old 12-16-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,694
Thanks: 10
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
While everything you say is valid. Rick ( Takefive) asked that you lay off the poster. Not the thread. So with due respect here lay of her.
With the same due respect, don't we need an investigation to determine the facts or are we assuming that TakeFive is correct in his speculation on who she is? Could be a 16 yr old troll for all we know. No?

Listen, I'm not ganging up on her (him, it, whoever). BD's first post came in and dumped on a respected sailor and I'm finding it hard to simply give that a carte blanch pass based upon speculation.

I will try.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1334  
Old 12-16-2012
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,160
Thanks: 21
Thanked 95 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I am not trying to "silence the discussion." I am merely suggesting that you not respond directly to her posts.

Are your really that desperate to pick a fight with this person? Is it really so important to you that you can't let a single person state her opinion without refuting it directly (including quoting her own words)?
Nobody is fighting here. We discuss a subject according with our own opinion and point of view, in a civil manner. On a discussion if we do not agree with what is said and think we can refute it, for the sake of the discussion, we should do that.

If I understand what you are saying relatively to that particular poster, that seems related to the Bounty organization or crew, we should not discuss what he or she says. Why? That makes not sense. If he or she is posting here is because we wants to enter on the discussion and bring his or her particular opinion about the subject.

He or she is very welcomed to the discussion...but this is a discussion. If he or she does not want to discuss his or her point of view has no business posting here.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-16-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1335  
Old 12-16-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You may be right, but I have two suggestions. First, if true, Bountydaughter should make that relationship clear. I can't take every screen name literally, as most are not intended that way. Second, I would never voluntarily walk into a 1300 post conversation like this and take on the crowd, while I was morning the loss of a close relative or friend. That's not healthy.

This discussion has not been strictly about the Capt anyway. Its been about a culture that seemed to exist that all should learn from. A boat that had sailed into hurricanes before, so one might process the risk incorrectly. A glimpse into what you might do, if presented with that opportunity to leave the boat, when your friends might pull off the voyage. Good discussion over whether these relics should be allowed to sail with bare bones inexperienced crew in horrific conditions without the same inspections as a commercial vessel.

While there are those that are very sensitive to the reputation and loss of the Captain, that is only a part of the thread. For one, I have no desire to confront the Capt's family, for I have great sympathy for their loss. However, we can not silence the discussion on legitimate issues. Unlike a discussion in a bar, where I believe everyone would pause for the Capt's daughter to pass, one can't know who is nearby here. I think those that do know they would be sensitive have the obligation to give way. It's the same reason that I don't read or post in the PRWG forum. I'm sure there are discussions that would boil my blood and the posters could not appreciate why.
I do not have an issue identifying my relationship. I am Captain Walbridge's daughter. Whether it is "healthy" for me to be reading and responding in this thread I believe is totally up to me. I am not trying to silence any discussions but add a different perspective. I know this thread is not entirely about the Captain. I do feel the need to defend against some of the comments made. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but a lot of it IS speculation. This "replica" ship has sailed all over the world. It was not just a prop but a full working square rigged tall ship. Many who have sailed on her have gone on and become captains of other ships and attribute their knowledge and their becoming a captain with Robin's tutelage. I personally have spoken to many former crew members who have told me that they respected Robin, not just liked him because he "let them get away with things". He loved his ship and he loved what he did. What happened was an absolute tragedy but comments that he was "stupid" and "egotistical" could not be further from the truth. I just feel that whether you have sailing experience or not no one will ever know why he made the decision that he made and any comments are pure conjecture.
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1336  
Old 12-16-2012
jameswilson29's Avatar
Senior Smart Aleck
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,022
Thanks: 26
Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 5
jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
I just feel that whether you have sailing experience or not no one will ever know why he made the decision that he made and any comments are pure conjecture.
I am very sorry for your loss.

Since you are willing to discuss the incident, how do you answer the contention that your father's state of mind was well illustrated by the video interview of him, in which he stated that there is no such thing as bad weather, he admitted that he chased hurricanes, and he told viewers where in the storm he intended to position his boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1337  
Old 12-16-2012
caberg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 558
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 3
caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
no one will ever know why he made the decision that he made and any comments are pure conjecture.
I, too, am very sorry for your loss.

It seems that you'd be in the best position of anyone here (or anywhere for that matter) to add to this conjecture. Do you not have any insight to provide?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1338  
Old 12-16-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Anyone that knew Robin and watched that interview knew that he was poking fun at that reporter. His "chasing hurricanes" comment has been completely taken out of context. That was his sense of humor. As far as his stating there is no bad weather only different kinds, he did truly believe that. Weather was something you could manage. He had sailed in all different kinds of weather and up to this point, successfully. As far as that interview, if this incident had not happened no one except people that watch public access tv in Maine would have ever seen it.
chef2sail and Brewgyver like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1339  
Old 12-16-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
With the same due respect, don't we need an investigation to determine the facts or are we assuming that TakeFive is correct in his speculation on who she is? Could be a 16 yr old troll for all we know. No?

Listen, I'm not ganging up on her (him, it, whoever). BD's first post came in and dumped on a respected sailor and I'm finding it hard to simply give that a carte blanch pass based upon speculation.

I will try.
No one needs to lay off me. I'm a big girl. ( not a 16 year old trolling). I am an adult and voluntarily joined this discussion. I do ask that it stays respectful though.
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1340  
Old 12-16-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,694
Thanks: 10
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
I do not have an issue identifying my relationship. I am Captain Walbridge's daughter......
I presume this is Shelly, Robin's stepdaughter, and I am very sorry for your loss.

Let us know if you would like to continue discussing this within this forum, as your posts leave much open to be clarified.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rhodes Bounty ll white rabbit Introduce Yourself 3 2 Weeks Ago 05:00 AM
New Member - Hardin 45 ( 44 voyager bounty ) Bianchi Introduce Yourself 9 01-29-2011 09:33 PM
HELP!! , Need move a boat NC to WA (Rhodes Bounty II, 40'10 x 28' x 10'3" x 5'9") sailandoar General Discussion (sailing related) 1 08-23-2006 01:11 PM
Bounty Windjammer Spectacle (Boothbay Register) NewsReader News Feeds 0 06-23-2006 03:15 PM
April 28, 1789, Aboard the HMS Bounty: NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 04-28-2006 01:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.