Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012

Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Inappropriate here. Unfeeling. And no on needs psychiatry over the internet. Thanks for caring

I would assume she is not a family member, but is merely a former crew/cult member based on her apparent departure from reality and lack of logic in reasoning.

So what should we assume about you? Assmption not in evidence counselor...if thats what you really are? Why not just give the poster the respect ANY poster deserves instead of instantly trashing them. Dont make this about me either. Its your words here. Its about what you posted.
chef2sail, I ask that you practice what you preach:
"I would assume she is not a family member, but is merely a former crew/cult member based on her apparent departure from reality and lack of logic in reasoning."
How is this not trashing me? First, I can tell you that you assume wrong. I have already stated that I am Captain Walbridge's daughter. I can also assure you that I have a firm grip on reality and I am not lacking in logic. I am insulted by your term "cult member" as Robin did not run a cult. I am sure that anyone ever associated with the Bounty would also be insulted by that remark.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am here to express mine. Most opinions here are not based in fact or knowledge. You are entitled to them nonetheless. My opinions are based on the fact that I knew the man which none of you can say.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
... Everyone is entitled to their opinions but a lot of it IS speculation. ... What happened was an absolute tragedy but comments that he was "stupid" and "egotistical" could not be further from the truth. I just feel that whether you have sailing experience or not no one will ever know why he made the decision that he made and any comments are pure conjecture.
I am very sorry for your loss.

I don't remember that someone had said here that he was a stupid man. Clearly he was not. I believe that what was said was that he had taken a stupid decision. That does not mean that he was stupid. Even the brighter of men sometime does stupid things.

A stupid mistake means a foolish or careless mistake.

stupid - definition of stupid by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

An inexplicable decision is many times a foolish one, otherwise it would have a rational explanation.

Regarding Bounty's Captain (we are not here talking about the man, that as was said by many, I am sure was a great human being) but about his behavior as a Captain and the term egotistical has to do with that condition, I mean while Captain.

I believe that the term Egotiscal was used in a sense that means: A boastful Captain and that seems to correspond to the image that he gave from himself on that video were he talks about chasing Hurricanes. Most of us believed that he was boasting. Do you believe that he was speaking truly about that?

egotistical - definition of egotistical by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Off course both statements are opinions and as such can not correspond to the truth but that I think acceptable in what regards what we know about the facts.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
chef2sail, I ask that you practice what you preach:
"I would assume she is not a family member, but is merely a former crew/cult member based on her apparent departure from reality and lack of logic in reasoning."
How is this not trashing me?..
You are right, it is trashing you. But chef2sail was quoting someone else's prior comment as an example of inappropriate statements.

If you read over the hundreds of pages on this thead, you'll see that a few people (chef2sail, me, and a few others) have been suggesting to people that the uninformed speculation is hurtful and counterproductive, and urging some patience for the true facts of the USCG investigation to emerge in their future report.

I do believe that new facts could create a fuller context that may provide more understanding of his thinking at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 12-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2012

Bountydaughter is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your condolences. You know who I am and that is fine. I have nothing to hide. I would like to clarify whatever I possibly can. I joined the discussion voluntarily. I would like to continue in the discussion as long as it can stay respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I presume this is Shelly, Robin's stepdaughter, and I am very sorry for your loss.

Let us know if you would like to continue discussing this within this forum, as your posts leave much open to be clarified.
Old 12-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

JW's assumption in that comment was she was not a family member, therefore the trashing was not applicable to her. If she wasn't a family member and was pretending to be, then the trashing could be quite applicable. Can't have it both ways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thank you for your condolences. You know who I am and that is fine. I have nothing to hide. I would like to clarify whatever I possibly can. I joined the discussion voluntarily. I would like to continue in the discussion as long as it can stay respectful.
Thanks, Shelly. Are you aware of any pressure applied by the owner of the vessel or a deadline of any kind to make this voyage?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-16-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I suspect that now that Bountydaughter is here and has identified herself, we may see a whole lot of people trying to roll back their prior statements, and issue "clarifications" on what they actually meant, and why words like "stupid," "foolish," etc. were not meant in the way they may have been interpreted.

Let's not forget that real people with feelings read these posts, and poorly informed, broad-brush attacks on the captain are hurtful. There are a lot of uncaring, poorly informed statements in the past 135 pages. I hope you all feel good about what you have written. I've issued numerous warnings about this, and taken a lot of flak for it.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 12-16-2012

TakeFive, that's exactly why I suggested it would not be healthy for BD to participate, but she has suggested you don't need to protect her.

I'm sure that everyone will treat her with respect, but it isn't going to change the dialogue between other posters and shouldn't, IMO.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I suspect that now that Bountydaughter is here and has identified herself, we may see a whole lot of people trying to roll back their prior statements, and issue "clarifications" on what they actually meant, and why words like "stupid," "foolish," etc. were not meant in the way they may have been interpreted.

Take five, I was not retiring anything, just explained that nobody said that the Bounty's Captain was a stupid man as she was saying.

Regarding Bounty's captain having taken a foolish decision regarding sailing in direction of an Hurricane I thought that we all have agreed about that.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-16-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I suspect that now that Bountydaughter is here and has identified herself, we may see a whole lot of people trying to roll back their prior statements, and issue "clarifications" on what they actually meant...
Thanks for the heads up, I edited one of my comments...