Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

As an attorney who practices family law and a former stepparent, I find it odd that a stepdaughter would identify herself as a "daughter" of the deceased, in the United States. Legally, stepchildren are quite different from biological children, and have virtually no rights with respect to the stepparent, and stepparents have virtually no responsibilities to stepchildren. The good Captain could have adopted a stepdaughter if he desired to create the legal relationships flowing naturally from the blood relationship. Based on my experience, few stepchildren would have used the verbiage Bountysdaughter did in describing herself.

I am not saying it is not possible, just a bit odd. Of course, later-in-life marriages and blended families in the U.S. have blurred many legal distinctions in the eyes of some in these kinds of families.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-17-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012

Flatballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
No problem...I have kept a log of the posts containing the rude personal statements by a few here who have been after you dad since day one. I am ashamed that it occured. Regular opinions are far different than these.

Despite pleas for not rushing to judgement on this they have continued posting negativity, ineuendo, distorted charts and personal opinions disguised as factual information. This with no regard for the feeling of the poeple who loved and admired the Captain.

It is a sad reflection of society that a person who lost her father, friend or colllegue would have to endure reading what has been written of a personal nature toward your dad. This wriiten by those who never even met him.

I apologise for them too. God bless you and your family.
Don't fall off your high horse there chief.

And I don't need you apologizing for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

An interesting post on gCaptain that identifies himself as a 500 GRT Ocean Master, Aux Sail, sailed traditional Sailing Vessels from 35 to 162 GRT, located in Baltimore, MD and a professional Tall Ship Sailor for 15 Years, Master for 9.

quote:

After nearly two decades with the ship under several different owners, Captain Walbridge wasn't going to be "told" when to sail. I think we can be reasonably sure this was his decision alone, though no one I know can make sense of why. A recent account from one of the survivors (who was apparently the engineer, seems to think Bounty was a schooner and not a full rigged ship, and wasn't aware there was a hurricane) indicates there was an all hands meeting describing how they were going to "circumvent" the storm, and that Captain Walbridge even told them he would hold no ill will toward anyone who decided not to sail. Apparently two of the crew walked in New London.

Again, normal procedure for Walbridge does not represent the entire fleet. Most of us have no idea what Captain Walbridge did during Hurricane season, as most traditional sailing vessels are only in port together during the summer festivals. Once the festivals are over, each ship goes on with its own itinerary. Through these festivals, I knew Walbridge as an affable man who was nursing along a vessel a that the public loved to come see at the dock. What he did at sea wasn't common knowledge except through sea stories, which I think we all agree usually stretch the truth. It's only through the emergence of the video shot in Belfast, ME (which went from 83 views to 40,000 in the last two weeks) that I realize his "sea stories" weren't exaggerations.

Technological glitches have kept me from being able to post here for nearly a week. Few of us who have command positions with these ships were ever "defensive" of Walbridge, as statements by Captains Dan Moreland and Jan Miles indicated the very day of the sinking. It has been novices and extremely loyal Bounty crew who are defending Captain Walbridge. I refrained from instant comments out of respect, because it is a small "community," and there was a great deal of grief in it. Don't take a brief moment of silence for agreement, I think this tragedy was utterly needless.

As far as putting "sea room" between the ship I work for and Bounty -- on 29 October I was in Baltimore with sixteen mooring lines rigged and storm stows in everything. Physically, that's appx. 345nm, as the crow flies, from Bounty's last know position. Operationally, it's in a different universe.

HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy - Page 28

Last edited by PCP; 12-17-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have been trying to find evidence regarding Bounty sailing in other Hurricanes and except that run away from Andrews in 1992 (they run away from an Hurricane did not sail one) I cannot find anything notwithstanding the crew and other sources vague statements about that. It seems that you have found information about that.

Do you mind to share?

Regards

Paulo
Reading the link about the BOUNTY and Andrew, I remain somewhat skeptical about that account... I was spending a lot of time in South Florida back in those days, and I'm surprised I have no recollection of ever hearing that story before...

A couple of years after some guy "begins taking courses to obtain a Captain's License", he's given command of a 180' sailing vessel to outrun a Cat 5 hurricane? With a crew of 5, 3 of whom had little previous sailing experience? Seriously?

Then, he claims they were about 50 miles south of the center of a storm that packed 165 mph winds when it made landfall south of Miami? In the Florida Straits, i.e, in or near the Gulf Stream, in N-NE winds? Seriously?

Not saying none of this happened, of course - only suggesting some of the details of that account are probably best taken with more than a couple of grains of salt... (grin)

I wonder, where was the BOUNTY'S full-time skipper during all this? Why did they need a freelancer to perform this mission? Because the real captain thought it was crazy, perhaps?

I'd still prefer to see some sort of documentation re the hurricanes BOUNTY supposedly sailed through under Capt. Walbridge's command, but I won't be holding my breath...
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The internet has exposed thought that was socially muted in our past. However, these thoughts always existed, so one could argue that we live in a much more honest place now. As evidence since BD disclosed her affiliation, no one will confront her directly out of respect. But, how does that change the fact that these thoughts exist, written or not?

Stifling the expression of thought, even when we disagree, is ironic.

Not completely true...Jameswilson29 is still challanging her in a kind of passive agressive way. He really wants to say she is not his daughter, and keeps alluding to it indirectly.

Maybe you are right Minnie...maybe we should restrict anything on here anymore just let people say what the want...Is that what you are advocating. I mean you cant legislate or demand common decency or morality or even ask for it t occur I guess. And who says it should be my, yours or anyone elses standards too. Who sets that. Sad reflection on changing society and obviously not just and American thing as its evident here as we are an international group.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
An interesting post on gCaptain that identifies himself as a 500 GRT Ocean Master, Aux Sail, sailed traditional Sailing Vessels from 35 to 162 GRT, located in Baltimore, MD and a professional Tall Ship Sailor for 15 Years, Master for 9.

quote:

After nearly two decades with the ship under several different owners, Captain Walbridge wasn't going to be "told" when to sail. I think we can be reasonably sure this was his decision alone, though no one I know can make sense of why. A recent account from one of the survivors (who was apparently the engineer, seems to think Bounty was a schooner and not a full rigged ship, and wasn't aware there was a hurricane) indicates there was an all hands meeting describing how they were going to "circumvent" the storm, and that Captain Walbridge even told them he would hold no ill will toward anyone who decided not to sail. Apparently two of the crew walked in New London.

Again, normal procedure for Walbridge does not represent the entire fleet. Most of us have no idea what Captain Walbridge did during Hurricane season, as most traditional sailing vessels are only in port together during the summer festivals. Once the festivals are over, each ship goes on with its own itinerary. Through these festivals, I knew Walbridge as an affable man who was nursing along a vessel a that the public loved to come see at the dock. What he did at sea wasn't common knowledge except through sea stories, which I think we all agree usually stretch the truth. It's only through the emergence of the video shot in Belfast, ME (which went from 83 views to 40,000 in the last two weeks) that I realize his "sea stories" weren't exaggerations.

Technological glitches have kept me from being able to post here for nearly a week. Few of us who have command positions with these ships were ever "defensive" of Walbridge, as statements by Captains Dan Moreland and Jan Miles indicated the very day of the sinking. It has been novices and extremely loyal Bounty crew who are defending Captain Walbridge. I refrained from instant comments out of respect, because it is a small "community," and there was a great deal of grief in it. Don't take a brief moment of silence for agreement, I think this tragedy was utterly needless.

As far as putting "sea room" between the ship I work for and Bounty -- on 29 October I was in Baltimore with sixteen mooring lines rigged and storm stows in everything. Physically, that's appx. 345nm, as the crow flies, from Bounty's last know position. Operationally, it's in a different universe.

HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy - Page 28
Just an FYI...I am in Baltimore/ It would take almost 36 hours at top speed to even get to the Atlantic from Balrtimore and we receive just wind and no tidal surge from Sandy as it passed over 45 miles north of here after Landfall. I even stayed on my boat in my slip through it adjusting lines. So the fact he remaned in port In Baltimore is not really relevant as he wasnt in any Sandy danger.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
As an attorney who practices family law and a former stepparent, I find it odd that a stepdaughter would identify herself as a "daughter" of the deceased, in the United States. Legally, stepchildren are quite different from biological children, and have virtually no rights with respect to the stepparent, and stepparents have virtually no responsibilities to stepchildren. The good Captain could have adopted a stepdaughter if he desired to create the legal relationships flowing naturally from the blood relationship. Based on my experience, few stepchildren would have used the verbiage Bountysdaughter did in describing herself.

I am not saying it is not possible, just a bit odd. Of course, later-in-life marriages and blended families in the U.S. have blurred many legal distinctions in the eyes of some in these kinds of families.
So what are you saying here James? What is the purpose of this post?

Are you saying you dont beleive her?

Why would you post this? What is its purpose other than an attempt to discredit BountyDaughter?

You are out of bounds again, This is an example of rude behavior.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post

Also BTW, and this is completely off the topic, this statement confused me as I have a brother who is step parent whose kids callhim dad. Its how they decided to handle the relatinship when they blended thier families. Obviously you and they in your family chose to keep them seperated from you by use of the term stepdad.

In my family we didnt have that distinction, my brother was called their dad. They had two, one biological and one who they lived with who fed them, went to games and did homework with them and took an interest in them. Not everyone sees the world like a family lawyer ( divorce attorney). To this day they call him dad, even though he wasnt the biological father.

How does one become a former steparent

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you saying you dont beleive her?

Why would you post this? What is its purpose other than an attempt to discredit BountyDaughter?

Maybe you can actually confirm this for everyone here since you claim to have known the captain and his loved ones (which would, I assume, include his step-daughter).

Quote:
It has been very difficult to watch all this knowing him and his loved ones.
Old 12-17-2012

My relationship was one of aquaintaince. I am not expert on her or her family. I have no reason to think she is not Shelly. That being said Why should her statements/ claims be called into question anymore than yours or others? She was forthcoming and answered when asked.

I believe her.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.