LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

How does one become a former steparent
I am on my second marriage. Since the step relationship is created solely by marriage to the child's biological parent, a divorce would sever the relationship IMO, although the IRS and others may disagree, and the relationship between stepparents and stepchildren is as varied and complex as people are.

I was not interested in sharing my personal life as much as revealing that I have some experience with that relationship.

I am not challenging anyone, passive-aggressively or not, merely sharing my observations and viewpoints, as I have yet to draw a conclusion on this matter. I support everyone's right to post whatever and however they choose, but I do not necessarily accept everything on this forum at face value.

You could be a little less personal in your attacks on ideas in this forum. I actually like you, respect your sailing experience, and enjoy reading your point of view, although I often disagree. Ever since your return from your late summer sailing trip, you have been on the attack against other members here.

Personally, I believe you could use a greater sailing challenge than your usual routine next year. A trip to Bermuda, perhaps, might make you less frustrated and hostile? There is nothing like scaring the bejesus out of yourself once in awhile.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-17-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So what are you saying here James? What is the purpose of this post?

Are you saying you dont beleive her?

Why would you post this? What is its purpose other than an attempt to discredit BountyDaughter?

You are out of bounds again, This is an example of rude behavior.
I find funny the examples you find of rude behavior. He is stating facts that he know well professionally and each one can take from there its own conclusions. Do you care to explain with this is rude behavior?

why should he or any of us believe she is really the Captain's daughter? She is new here, we don't know her reputation. She can be who she says it is...or not.

regards

Paulo
Old 12-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post

You could be a little less personal in your attacks on ideas in this forum. I actually like you, respect your sailing experience, and enjoy reading your point of view, although I often disagree. Ever since your return from your late summer sailing trip, you have been on the attack against other members here.

Personally, I believe you could use a greater sailing challenge than your usual routine next year. A trip to Bermuda, perhaps, might make you less frustrated and hostile? There is nothing like scaring the bejesus out of yourself once in awhile.
I feel the same about you too James and feel the same about your posting.

Your advice is taken,

I am ready for the ocean trip....want to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
why should he or any of us believe she is really the Captain's daughter? She is new here, we don't know her reputation. She can be who she says it is...or not.

regards

Paulo
Why not believe her....

You have brough to us many posts and seem to beleive that many of those gCaptain posts are the "real deal" and get defensive and call us amateurs to post against what they have said as they are the "real professionals?

Quote:
She is new here, we don't know her reputation. She can be who she says it is...or not-PCP.
Couldnt we say the same about the g Captain posters. Couldnt we say the same about you or me.

Course a few people in her have met me and know I am not a 4 ft troll sitting behind by comptuer on a Hobie cat sailing across the Atlantic on the
winds from the NW quandrant of a hurricane. Its the internet...anyone can be anything they like, and say anything they like. Credibility can be established with face to face meetings.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am ready for the ocean trip....want to come
Thanks for the invite. After my brief overnight trips in the ocean last year, I can tell you I am not ready for that trip yet.

My next goal is still to sail straight from Cape May to Block Island, 2 - 3 days out of sight of land.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Thanks for the invite. After my brief forays into the ocean last year, I can tell you I am not ready for that trip yet.

My next goal is still to sail straight from Cape May to Block Island, 2 - 3 days out of sight of land.
CM to Block 36-39 hours. Done it many times and a good goal. Great next step from the Delmarva.

Come north to NY with us next summer, around August 17. We do stop at Barnegat Inlet though and I think you are looking for more of an offshore experience.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-17-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Regarding the Story on Sailing through/around Hurricane Andrew with 5 people, several of whom had never been on the ship prior to trip.

It sounds like baloney.....never happened.....BS

Coast Guard doesn't generally threaten to sink ships at the pier do they? Anyone know of such a thing? More likely, if they wanted the ship somewhere else, they would have called in a towing company and moved the ship some other place (at Bounty's expense) that they deemed more safe.

And another story, Walbridge single handedly redocked the boat after all lines but one were cast off by drunks from a bar. I don't believe that either.

Just like, I don't believe he would sail near the eyewall on the eastern quadrant of a storm. Of course, I guess you can tell enough tales and eventually begin to believe them.

Sorry for the outcome, but the captain just made a bad call. As for ships going to sea in storms, sure they do. Reference in one article listed four cruise ships which did....all huge steel monsters which when they left port wouldn't have made 5 kts....instead they would have cranked on the turns and got far away from the worse part. Also, they likely left early and moving at 15-20 kts over several days they could be well away from the worse parts of the storm. And they didn't do it with novices and handyman for engineer, and only a couple of professionals...one of whom (captain) erroneously decided his ship could manage the storm.
Likewise, the Navy got underway doing more or less same thing as the cruise ships...big steel ships, lots of power and speed, back up systems, and built to modern standards.
casey1999 likes this.
Old 12-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Looking for evidence of Bounty sailing on another Hurricanes I found some references of having sailing one back in 1992 and looking better I found this report that is quite amazing:

When the Bounty was in Miami safely moored at the dock the Coast Guard, with Hurricane Andrew bearing down and fearing the ship would destroy the docks and the Miami waterfront, ordered the crew of two to sail the ship or they were going to drill holes in the hull and sink her at the dock to prevent damage to the port of Miami. The crew got another three volunteer crewmembers and sailed the Bounty into the violent seas and winds of one of the most destructive hurricanes in recorded history. The Bounty survived the ordeal. The waterfront of Miami survived the storm as well.

Read more: GUEST OPINION: Bounty's crew faced a dilemma: Sail or seek safe harbor? - Taunton, MA - The Taunton Daily Gazette

This is true? What would have happened to those that have ordered the boat out with a crew of 5 if the boat had sunk that time and lives had been lost?

PCP,
Good find on this article. Couple of points. Maybe it is true (but I highly doubt it), I cannot imagine that the Coast Guard would order a ship out to sea as a huricane approached, or threaten to drill holes into its hull (the hurricane Andrew incident mentioned in the article). I just cannot imagine this is true.

Does anyone have more information to prove or disprove this statement?

Also, the writer of the article is Tom Murray is former president of the Fall River Chamber Foundation, the organization that brought the Bounty to Fall River. The arcticle is also labled "GUEST OPINION: Bounty's crew faced a dilemma: Sail or seek safe harbor?"

Regards

Last edited by casey1999; 12-17-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Why not believe her....

You have brough to us many posts and seem to beleive that many of those gCaptain posts are the "real deal" and get defensive and call us amateurs to post against what they have said as they are the "real professionals?

Couldnt we say the same about the g Captain posters. Couldnt we say the same about you or me.

Course a few people in her have met me and know I am not a 4 ft troll sitting behind by comptuer on a Hobie cat sailing across the Atlantic on the
winds from the NW quandrant of a hurricane. Its the internet...anyone can be anything they like, and say anything they like. Credibility can be established with face to face meetings.
Not the same thing. There are here posters that have contributed positively for a along time or are know personally, posters that have built a reputation and we know that they are trustworthy. The same happens with gCaptain forum among professional mariners. Some are known personally others posted there for a long time and are respected. There, like here, the global position of the forum when consensual about a subject, like this one, means that the ones that are known by all or the more responsible posters subscribe it.

Bountydaughter does not enjoy this status. His first posts were less than a weak ago, about this subject.

That does not mean that she is not the Bounty Captain daughter, everything is possible, but that does not give her the same credibility of a well known and respected member of this forum, or the credibility of well known posters on GCaptain. I refer specifically to her identity.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-17-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Regarding the Story on Sailing through/around Hurricane Andrew with 5 people, several of whom had never been on the ship prior to trip.

It sounds like baloney.....never happened.....BS

Coast Guard doesn't generally threaten to sink ships at the pier do they? Anyone know of such a thing? More likely, if they wanted the ship somewhere else, they would have called in a towing company and moved the ship some other place (at Bounty's expense) that they deemed more safe.

And another story, Walbridge single handedly redocked the boat after all lines but one were cast off by drunks from a bar. I don't believe that either.

Just like, I don't believe he would sail near the eyewall on the eastern quadrant of a storm. Of course, I guess you can tell enough tales and eventually begin to believe them.

Sorry for the outcome, but the captain just made a bad call. As for ships going to sea in storms, sure they do. Reference in one article listed four cruise ships which did....all huge steel monsters which when they left port wouldn't have made 5 kts....instead they would have cranked on the turns and got far away from the worse part. Also, they likely left early and moving at 15-20 kts over several days they could be well away from the worse parts of the storm. And they didn't do it with novices and handyman for engineer, and only a couple of professionals...one of whom (captain) erroneously decided his ship could manage the storm.
Likewise, the Navy got underway doing more or less same thing as the cruise ships...big steel ships, lots of power and speed, back up systems, and built to modern standards.
Yes, the story seems odd to me but I even if eventually exaggerated I don't believe that is all ********. This is not one of those stories reported by a journalist based on hear say. This does not come from a Journalist but from someone that has probably direct knowledge of the situation. The article is sighed by Tom Murray, the former president of the Fall River Chamber Foundation, the organization that brought the Bounty to Fall River.

Read more: GUEST OPINION: Bounty's crew faced a dilemma: Sail or seek safe harbor? - Taunton, MA - The Taunton Daily Gazette