Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
Just an FYI...I am in Baltimore/ It would take almost 36 hours at top speed to even get to the Atlantic from Balrtimore and we receive just wind and no tidal surge from Sandy as it passed over 45 miles north of here after Landfall. I even stayed on my boat in my slip through it adjusting lines. So the fact he remaned in port In Baltimore is not really relevant as he wasnt in any Sandy danger.

Dave
Dave,

I know the author of the comment on gCaptain fairly well. The reason he stated the location and condition of his boat was because it is a TallShip as well, and being a prudent mariner had secured his vessel for the possibility of extremely high winds and high water. He was making a point that Walbridge could have easily moved Bounty to Baltimore (even ducking inside the Chesapeake through the C&D Canal for more protection from the storm en route). I know folks were worried Sandy would head up the Bay (much like Irene did) and destroy a lot of property and vessels. Again being prudent, the author ensured his vessel was protected and safe, and his crew on high alert for weather changes. Bounty has been to Baltimore many times, and could have easily found the same protection (and even if she was dashed against the dock and went down, she would not be in thousands of feet of water).

Somewhat off topic, but the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race - from the Bay Bridge to Norfolk - record for a vessel similar to the author's ship is just over 11 hours. Provided, Bounty could in no way sail or motor that fast. Just saying..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
PCP,
Good find on this article. Couple of points. Maybe it is true (but I highly doubt it), I cannot imagine that the Coast Guard would order a ship out to sea as a huricane approached, or threaten to drill holes into its hull (the hurricane Andrew incident mentioned in the article). I just cannot imagine this is true.

Does anyone have more information to prove or disprove this statement?

Also, the writer of the article is Tom Murray is former president of the Fall River Chamber Foundation, the organization that brought the Bounty to Fall River. The arcticle is also labled "GUEST OPINION: Bounty's crew faced a dilemma: Sail or seek safe harbor?"

Regards
It seems a credible source to me. here you have the same story told by that "one time" Captain, the guy that sailed the Bounty on that occasion:

One-time captain of HMS Bounty reflects on tall ship's sinking - The Villages Daily Sun: Villages
Old 12-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems a credible source to me. here you have the same story told by that "one time" Captain, the guy that sailed the Bounty on that occasion:

One-time captain of HMS Bounty reflects on tall ship's sinking - The Villages Daily Sun: Villages
Maybe I missed it, but no where in the above article do I see a reference that the Coast Guard forced the Bounty to leave Miami, or asked them to leave, or threatened to sink the Bounty.
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Maybe I missed it, but no where in the above article do I see a reference that the Coast Guard forced the Bounty to leave Miami, or asked them to leave, or threatened to sink the Bounty.
No, but it seems that effectively the boat sail out to escape Hurricane Andrews.

I don't know about that threat to sink the ship but it was said on this thread that CG has the power to say to ships to sail out of Port if they consider it not a safe place, so they could have done it if they consider the ship had time to escape the storm or if the CG guy in charge was an irresponsible one. You never know

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, but it seems that effectively the boat sail out to escape Hurricane Andrews.

I don't know about that threat to sink the ship but it was said on this thread that CG has the power to say to ships to sail out of Port if they consider it not a safe place, so they could have done it if they consider the ship had time to escape the storm or if the CG guy in charge was an irresponsible one. You never know

Regards

Paulo
I am not sure if the Coast Guard can order a ship out of Port if a hurricane is approaching. Here in Hawaii the Coast Guard "closes" harbors on occasion (during tsunami warnings), but that only means you cannot leave or enter the port during the "closing". The Coast Guard is here to save life and property. I cannot seeing them sending a wooden movie prop into a potential situation where they would need to risk their own lives in a rescue that they themselves would have created.
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
I am not sure if the Coast Guard can order a ship out of Port if a hurricane is approaching. Here in Hawaii the Coast Guard "closes" harbors on occasion (during tsunami warnings), but that only means you cannot leave or enter the port during the "closing". The Coast Guard is here to save life and property. I cannot seeing them sending a wooden movie prop into a potential situation where they would need to risk their own lives in a rescue that they themselves would have created.
I agree and I will not look back on this thread but I am quite sure that someone had explained to me that things were different on the zone that is hit by Hurricanes. I have said precisely what you are saying because it is what happens here.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-17-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The article is sighed by Tom Murray, the former president of the Fall River Chamber Foundation, the organization that brought the Bounty to Fall River.
Just a thought:

Fall River is in new england, probably 1000 miles or more away from southern Florida, and I don't know when that organization became involved with the Bounty, but most likely some years after Hurricane Andrew. While Mr. Murray may relate and believe the story, he is unlikely to know exactly the real story, only what he was told.

It is not uncommon for people to enhance their credentials and experience. Frequently, we see high level executives that are found out because they made up stories about their experience or schooling. Also, people who claim to be war veterans or heroes that didn't even serve in the military.

The Andrew story just doesn't make sense. Maybe it was out to sea, way, way from the storm, maybe not. And the guy who supposedly was the captain for that voyage was fairly new and relatively inexperienced by his own account. Is that who the owners would trust with their their investment? And three people who have never been on the ship or were not even knowledgeable about sailing would volunteer to go out into the face of a major hurricane...not likely.
PCP likes this.
Old 12-17-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
No problem...I have kept a log of the posts containing the rude personal statements by a few here who have been after you dad

Despite pleas for not rushing to judgement on this they have continued posting negativity, ineuendo, distorted charts and personal opinions disguised as factual information.
1) Why would you keep a log? To what purpose? What will you do with the log?

2) ...negativity, ineuendo, distorted charts and personal opinions disguised as factual information......really? Or just opinions, in most cases, supported by the few facts that are available that were, in turn, used to form the opinions. People are not allowed to state their opinion in an open forum?

3) That such a highly regarded and experienced captain would make the decision to go to sea into such a large storm when it seems to many people, including some in the Tall Ship Community, that there was safety available in staying in one of the numerous ports that were available baffles people and is what keeps this incident under such discussion (in my opinion).
Old 12-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Not completely true...Jameswilson29 is still challanging her in a kind of passive agressive way. He really wants to say she is not his daughter, and keeps alluding to it indirectly.

Maybe you are right Minnie...maybe we should restrict anything on here anymore just let people say what the want...Is that what you are advocating. I mean you cant legislate or demand common decency or morality or even ask for it t occur I guess. And who says it should be my, yours or anyone elses standards too. Who sets that. Sad reflection on changing society and obviously not just and American thing as its evident here as we are an international group.
It seems to be a brave new world and trying to superimpose the culture we grew up in over the exchange of social media is futile. As I said, I'm not even sure this new age isn't more honest than the one we were raised in, despite our history feeling more civilized. That trend toward less civility is not contained to the Internet. I offer violent video games, rap music lyrics, politics, union demonstrators destroying a hot dog cart in Mich or Reginald Denny being pulled from his truck and nearly beaten to death because of the LEO acquittals. Lack of civility is nothing new and the Internet has no claim to it.

While James was the first to say it, I will admit having considered the fact that we can't know BD is who she claims. All have refrained from confronting her directly, out of respect that she may be. At this point, no one rational has enough information to know one way or the other. I don't think it really matters anyway, or I'm sure I could confirm or deny it. It has been proven that the old 6 degrees of separation are now down to 2, specifically due to the Internet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-17-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It seems to be a brave new world and trying to superimpose the culture we grew up in over the exchange of social media is futile.
Im not a Twitter people, Tweet, Twert, or Facebook them, Nudge them or give a damn about Lindsay Lohans drug stained panties..... But the fact that people can and therefore prove the media, et al, as futile gatekeepers to knowledge is wonderful!

This thread started so much like those old fashiond gate keepers trying to treat you like an imbicile: "dont make a comment until the Coast Guard has investigated". What baloney! Where now, because we can say what we like, we may find the Coast Guard complicit with this disaster.

We should never allow "free speach" to be the bastion of the media and the older generation!
It should be the bastion of all.

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-17-2012 at 04:46 PM.