Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

The Orlando article still had the notion of the Bounty heading east to avoid the storm, so I left a message to ask the reporter about that and about whether Mr. Stephens might have any speculations or safety thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepl3nty View Post
Straight from the horse's mouth: Bounty ship sinking: HMS Bounty builder Robert Stephens anxiously waits for hearings on the ship's sinking - OrlandoSentinel.com

The USCG will be having their hearing on the sinking mid-February, and already I know a number of crew will be heading thataway to speak at the hearing.
Thanks for the heads up. Portsmouth VA is drivable, I may go to the hearing. I have lot of questions to ask.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Portsmouth VA is drivable, I may go to the hearing. I have lot of questions to ask.
That would be fantastic. If you read this thread there are a lot of good questions that scream to be asked and It would be awesome to have a first hand account of what is going on.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That would be fantastic. If you read this thread there are a lot of good questions that scream to be asked and It would be awesome to have a first hand account of what is going on.

Regards

Paulo
I will look into the hearing date and plan to attend this public hearing. I expect that it will last many days.

I am doubtful that I can ask questions in this meeting. No, I have not followed up this thread at all, I am sure there are many good questions. But I also trust that the panel (with expert witnesses) of this investigation are not dummy either. I am sure they will have hard questions to ask.

I will follow up when I find out more info. If anyone have more info on the hearing, please post.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Just found this. The hearing will last 8 full days. I will call the CG or Board if they have an agenda in place. I don't think I can spare eight days for the hearing. I need to pick and choose where the meat is.

Quote:
The United States Coast Guard will hold a formal hearing next month to investigate the Oct. 29 sinking of the HMS Bounty, the service announced today.

A formal hearing on the incident will run from Feb. 12 to 21 at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel and Waterfront Conference Center in Portsmouth, Va. The hearing "will examine the facts and circumstances relating to the sinking of the vessel and will develop conclusions and recommendations to improve the safety and operations of similar vessels," according to a Coast Guard press release. The National Transportation Safety Board will also participate in the investigation.

Fine Print:
Old 02-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Eight days of taxpayer funded investigation, not to mention the cost if the rescue. I'm hoping the taxpayer gets something for their money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Eight days of taxpayer funded investigation, not to mention the cost if the rescue. I'm hoping the taxpayer gets something for their money.
I am sure the Fed will tell us:

Thou shall not sail into hurricane

And with other agendas:
Thou shall not have more than one bullet in the gun
Thou shall not kill others with a gun more than one bullet at a time
Thou shall not sell gun to the mentally ill patient. Let they use other means to harm others....

I don't need their recommendations, I just want to know the facts that what happened out there.

Fine Print:
Old 02-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I will attempt to go to at least two days of this testimony. Thanks for posting the information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

May be we should coordinate our attending dates, so we have a full coverage of the hearing from Sailnet community.

Fine Print:
Old 02-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

It seems that more information is available:

The chief mate of a replica 18th-century sailing ship that sank off North Carolina during Hurricane Sandy told investigators Tuesday that the ship's captain twice refused his pleas to order the crew to abandon ship.
It wasn't until he made a third plea that the captain gave the order — moments before the ship rolled and tossed the crew into the water.

Svendsen said the ship was taking on water and had no power when it rolled over and sank. He also told investigators the captain didn't alert Coast Guard officials of the ship's deteriorating condition when he first suggested it, with Capt. Robin Walbridge choosing to focus on fixing failing generators instead. Svendsen disagreed with Walbridge on that decision, along with several others....

Before ever leaving New London, Conn., for St. Petersburg, Fla., Svendsen said he had told Walbridge that he and other crew members were concerned about his decision to head directly toward the top of the storm as it approached.
"I had mentioned other options as far as staying in and not going out to sea. Robin felt the ship was safer at sea," Svendsen said....

HMS Bounty crewman says he urged abandoning ship - Yahoo! News