Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Assuming the former, then the least dangerous quadrant is the NW ie front left, and the most dangerous front right, because in the former the track speed of the hurricane or storm subtracts from the wind speed, and in the latter case it adds to it.

Try again

You theory is completely wrong
Why hurricane waves are lopsided
quadrant.wind.speeds
Which part of a hurricane packs the worst punch? - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
casey1999 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

This is the best summary I've read:Sunk: The Incredible Truth About the 'Bounty,' a Ship That Never Should Have Sailed | Outdoor Adventure | OutsideOnline.com
chef2sail likes this.
Old 02-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
......less remain in a truly "seaworthy" condition allowing especially the younger generation to experience Tall Sail on the open ocean.
I will admit that this doesn't do much for me personally, so I'm having a hard time relating. But the romanticism of being in the open ocean on inferior technology is, in part, what seems to have taken Bounty down. Indirectly anyway. That crew seems more romantic than experienced.

It wouldn't bother me one bit to restrict these vessels to within X nm of shore, mandate professional experienced crew for passages and have required thorough inspections if carrying unknown passengers. You, your family and your friends should be able to choose to do whatever you want. But, building a business around the vessel to gain funding and create fake paid crew so they are not considered passengers should stop.

This whole operation is shaping up as a romantic sham.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-21-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

“Try again

You theory is completely wrong.”

Well okay that is always possible. It would be more productive if you stated some reasons or basis for your claim.
The implication is that the references you cite do that.

The Lyons article on lopsided waves actually repeats the conventional view that the wind and waves are greatest in the NE sector. He attributes the wave size difference less to the wind difference than the time the waves are exposed to the wind. Fair enough but since the wave speed likely exceeds the track speed waves will continue to be generated on the western side and continue to the south. So that supports my statement

The second reference as to quadrants actually says the same as I did except the sppeds are given in kilometers per hour. So that supports my statement.

The Sun Sentinel graphic shows a path North. It concerns rainfall more than wind. The writer is not apparently a recognised authority and cites none for a view which is at odds with that generally accepted as to the least dangerous quadrant. Sorry I don’t give any weight to a graphic by a reporter .

If I were wrong then so is Bowditch and Buys Ballot's law.
Old 02-21-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The so called "navigable" quadrant is supposed to be the best of the worst place to be. However, from accounts of those who have navigated anywhere around hurricanes/tropical storms, the seas become so confused that maintaining control becomes virtually impossible and waves hit from every direction. The best quadrant to be in is the one well inland.
dacap06 likes this.
Old 02-21-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of more important points that I would like the inquiry to probe and that is the original design and modifications. Looking at the GC video of the rescue shows the Bounty still afloat and not turning turtle. Can some conclusions be drawn from that? Sufficient ballast to keep it upright or insufficient not to bring it to the ocean floor quickly? Was there a catistropic failure or just leakage that the pumps could not control? Can some sort of analysis be done to show the effects of upscaleing the dimensions from the original Bounty?

And finally why not call the previous engineer that Barksdale replaced?

While I may not have the greatest admiration for Ted Turner, he did get it right when he told his accountants to get rid of the Bounty as it set as a dock side attraction for close to two decades prior to his unknowing purchase.
Old 02-21-2013

Oh....I forgot one thing...Follow the money!
Old 02-21-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Looking at the GC video of the rescue shows the Bounty still afloat and not turning turtle. Can some conclusions be drawn from that?
As a naval architect once considered an authority on the stability of large sailing ships, I can say, "Nothing to see here, move along."
Old 02-21-2013

Kinda like that famous phrase...."What does it matter!"
Old 02-21-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

A hurricane at sea and one that is close to landfall are two very different things.

Once a hurricane begins to make landfall, the western side of the eye will be much less dangerous than the eastern side because the wind is returning from land, is slower, and has much less fetch across the water. A hurricane at sea has no such encumberance. Couple the danger of wind speed with opposing current, and being in the Gulf Stream on the western side of that hurricane was probably the worst place imaginable.

I have been on a ship that was forced to sail through a hurricane. Luckily for my ship, it was a 9800-ton warship, not a rotted wooden barge movie prop. Even still, all hands not on watch were secured in our racks. My ship came through okay, our sister ship did not fare as well and ended up with significant damage. The only damage to my ship was a bomb pallet jack that broke its chains, busted through two doors and careened down the passageway until it slammed into the bulkhead of the aft gun mount, buckling the bulkhead. Being adrift, the jack continued to bounce its way up and down the passageway, stopping only when it would slam into another bulkhead. Thank God nobody was in that passageway. It was no small feat to get it secured again, either. I am amazed nobody was killed during that evolution.

Reading the testimony that has been posted (Thank you, Chef) the situation on the Bounty was even worse than I imagined. From the sounds of it, not only was the ship a disaster waiting to happen, but there was simply almost nobody qualified to be aboard as crew in the best of conditions.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 02-21-2013 at 09:54 AM.