Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Its funny I am incredulous that people say the crew didnt know the hurricane was coming. They were getting texts from all their friends and loved ones and everyone on the east coast starting the previous Sunday started watching the storm Oct 24 when it ewas classified as a hurricane and started its trip north. ...
Maybe I stated it badly. I was referring what they had said themselves and was published previously in the press. I did not meant to say that when they sailed that they had not been informed about the Hurricane. What I meant to say is that they had not been aware of its importance till some hours before and some not even after that reunion. Barksdale says "Nobody knew that it was going to have the intensity and size it ended up having" .

I remember that because at the time it really looked odd to me that they didn't know that an Hurricane is as intense as you can get. It only shows how unprepared they were as sailors and the trust they deposited on their Captain.

Edit:

I have checked out. Braksdale the "engineer" was the one that was not aware of the Hurricane before that reunion with the the Captain:

quote:
He had also had few conversations with the other crewmembers, which is why he hadn't even heard that a storm was approaching…

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...e#.UL3xE-RIl8F

regarding that talk reunion with the captain he says:

quote:

Walbridge had called everyone on deck to tell them about the approaching hurricane before they left Connecticut, saying he would understand if people decided to get off the ship, Barksdale said.

Everyone stayed.

'Naturally I was a little hesitant about that, but [the captain] explained the situation and it seemed like he had a pretty good strategy,' Barksdale said. 'We were going to try and get around the hurricane. Nobody knew that it was going to have the intensity and size it ended up having.'

http://www.sail-world.com/CruisingAu...=0&tickerCID=0

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-22-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

From what I understand the Bounty should have notified the CG that they had lost generators, pumps and engines.

Are we (as pleasure boaters) required to notify CG if our engine fails on our sailboat? Should we notify if our bilge pump fails while at sea? I could see if conditions are rough (high winds and seas) where the loss could endager boat and crew it would be wise to issue a Pan Pan to CG and keep them informed, but is this required during benign conditions?
Old 02-22-2013

Capt.Mhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I would not say a suicide mission.. Nobody there thought that they were going to die, Some thought it was risky but risky means not suicidal and means always that one thinks that there are more changes to succeed than to fail.

You are looking at it from the outside. That boat had a bad reputation among the Tall ship crews. For the Crew of that boat the Captain was a hero, and the Bounty could take anything and "liked Hurricanes".

When we talk about a suicide mission it is implied that the one that is on that mission knows that he is going to die. They thought too much about their boat and their captain. They revere and trust the Captain's decisions and if he says that the Bounty is safer on the sea than in the Port, than it should be true. If the Captain decides to sail an Hurricane, then he knows what he is doing. This is not clearly a suicide mission.

Maybe suicide was not a correct term here, "Self inflicted homicide" perhaps..

Was there a chance to survive a hurricane? Yes it was, that doesn't mean it was a good idea to go. It was a bad idea to go, people actually shocked at the whole premise of the idea.

I would leave the realm of sailing in to hurricanes to the Pirates of the Caribbean films..
PCP and chef2sail like this.
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
A few questions and comments in my head:

1. I was surprised that the Committee did not ask the wife of the captain to testify.
2. Does the Captain have any life insurance?
3. How much insurance does Bounty carry?
Good questions..
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I understand from earlier reading that Bounty did not have a Certificate of Inspection from the Coast Guard.

Wasn't aware whether or not the was "in class" with ABS, LR, DNV or whomever? I take it, not?

Anyone know if the other tall ships are 'classed'? To me, having ABS involved, especially with a unique (wood) vessel with lots of cladding covering the ribs and frames, would give me a much better feeling than a vessel inspected by, uh, no one?
No it was not inspected and registered as a private yacht.
They even subverted the tonnage rules to get (less) 250GT certification to avoid some of the rules.

CG also assumed the crew was "professional", and classified the initial contact as mid risk - they were asked by the panel why they assumed so - they pretty much couldn't believe that the ship will be sailed by amateurs.

Other vessel captains testified it took them 7 years to get certifications..

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
From what I understand the Bounty should have notified the CG that they had lost generators, pumps and engines.

Are we (as pleasure boaters) required to notify CG if our engine fails on our sailboat? Should we notify if our bilge pump fails while at sea? I could see if conditions are rough (high winds and seas) where the loss could endager boat and crew it would be wise to issue a Pan Pan to CG and keep them informed, but is this required during benign conditions?

They subverted the system to register as a private yacht.

Technically private yacht is NOT required to report it.

But Coast Guard highly recommends you issue a PAN PAN call, it helps them advise you and prepare for possible rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Maybe I stated it badly. I was referring what they had said themselves and was published previously in the press. I did not meant to say that when they sailed that they had not been informed about the Hurricane. What I meant to say is that they had not been aware of its importance till some hours before and some not even after that reunion. Barksdale says "Nobody knew that it was going to have the intensity and size it ended up having" .
His testimony is highly suspect.. others testified that the Captain didn't have a plan, he just said I know you were getting texts, there is a weather system, we will go east offshore - and then decide what to do. I and Bounty always made it.

That's it. "Don't worry" talk.

At this point everyone was getting texts from their friends about Sandy.

It was predicted to be 1000 mi Superstorm.
casey1999 likes this.

Last edited by Capt.Mhack; 02-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I heard this from Commander Mitchell yesterday.
Quote:
“Because of the size of the storm, because of how large Sandy was, everybody got out of the way,”

It isn’t uncommon for the Navy to send some of its ships that are in port out to sea before a storm strikes. It does so in order to reduce the risk of major damage to ships and piers during high winds and seas. But unlike the HMS Bounty, the Navy sent its high-tech warships built of steel out of Sandy’s path. The wooden Bounty, which had parts of its frame rotting, sailed directly into it.
Coast Guard testifies during Bounty hearing - News-Times: News

Sins of Omission – Bounty Hearings – Day 5
Sins of Omission – Bounty Hearings – Day 5 | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
Capt.Mhack likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Navy ships can also run pretty fast, can flat out run any hurricane, unlike the Bounty with a steaming speed of somthing like 5 knots. Plus the navy has extremely good weather data. Bounty seems to ignore the weather.
Capt.Mhack likes this.
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Navy ships can also run pretty fast, can flat ourun any hurricane, unlike the Bounty with a steaming speed of somthing like 5 knots. Plus the navy has extremely good weather data. Bounty seems to ignore the weather.
They sail at 11 kts in a hurricane.

Also testified they were getting weather faxes every hour.. seems like they completely ignored them.
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mhack View Post
They sail at 11 kts in a hurricane.

Also testified they were getting weather faxes every hour.. seems like they completely ignored them.
Is that what there speed was under sail alone?

In any case, should be: "They sail at 11 kts into a hurricane".
Old 02-22-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Just find out that Youtube has all the footage of the Hearing. So if anyone did not have a chance to watch the steaming of the hearing. Here is your opprotnity:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....0...0.0...1ac.
casey1999 likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.