Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Be careful here, you're treading on dangerous territory. You're almost suggesting that the root cause is the vessel's condition, and not the Captain's decision to sail into the hurricane.

Granted, the Captain was ultimately responsible for both, but suggesting that the hurricane would have been survivable goes against 191 pages of the best Internet wisdom that no money can buy.

Incidentally, it also pretty much agrees with what I suggested four months ago here and here and here.
Here is another thought, during that "rescue" of Bounty off Florida a few years ago, the CG should have considered the ship "manefestly unsafe" and forced it to dock and not to sail until the leakage was reduced to a "normal" wooden ship level.
TakeFive likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Saying that the hull leaks killed the crew of Bounty is like saying the knife killed the stabbing victim. It was the device, not the cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Saying that the hull leaks killed the crew of Bounty is like saying the knife killed the stabbing victim. It was the device, not the cause.
I am not saying the captain was correct in his actions to sail the ship into hurricane sandy.

What I am saying is the ship was a disaster waiting to happen for many many years. It seemed many people and organizations seemed to be in love with the Bounty and as we know, love is blind.
Old 02-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I am not saying the captain was correct in his actions to sail the ship into hurricane sandy.

What I am saying is the ship was a disaster waiting to happen for many many years. It seemed many people and organizations seemed to be in love with the Bounty and as we know, love is blind.
I agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-26-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That's really stretching it.

People drowned because the ship sank. The ship sank because the hull leaked. It was a significant cause and/or contributing factor. To say otherwise is to deny reality.

As I suggested four months ago, with the condition that boat was in, a similar result might have happened in an ordinary Noreaster. Sandy was huge, but not particularly violent as hurricanes go.

It will be interesting to see what the USCG says about this in their final report. I think we all can agree that they have not attempted to sweep anything under the rug, as was speculated several months ago.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Here is another thought, during that "rescue" of Bounty off Florida a few years ago, the CG should have considered the ship "manefestly unsafe" and forced it to dock and not to sail until the leakage was reduced to a "normal" wooden ship level.
After that the boat was rebuilt, or almost.

Regards

Paulo

Old 02-26-2013

What would a "normal" leakage rate for a ship like Bounty that was in "good" condition? What about while sailing in a storm similar to the conditions of sandy?
Old 02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
After that the boat was rebuilt, or almost.

Regards

Paulo
From all the information I have seen, the ship always leaked somthing like 30,000 gallons a day, even after a rebuild.
Old 02-26-2013

Quote:
What would a "normal" leakage rate for a ship like Bounty that was in "good" condition? What about while sailing in a storm similar to the conditions of sandy?
I can only report to ancient wooden boats. I would say that even in a storm only an old boat required constant pumping and at that time they had only hand pumps with a much smaller output. when the pups have to be continuously running the boat needed urgent repair and they went for it on a beach on the first opportunity. They carried tools, materials, carpenters and hand help to do the job.

Regards

Paulo

Old 02-26-2013

Quote:
From all the information I have seen, the ship always leaked somthing like 30,000 gallons a day, even after a rebuild.
That cannot be true. That is more than 6000 L for each hour. The boat was almost completely rebuilt and nobody would accept the delivery of a ship on that condition.

What I have heard was that the boat even at dock, presently had to run the pumps every hour. They didn't say how much minutes each our but the way it was said it could not be for the bigger part of an hour and if you go to the rated output of the electric pumps you can get a grossly estimate of the leakage.

That is odd that would not be asked directly on the inquiries, I mean on the dock how much time they run the pumps for each hour. That would give a correct idea of the permanent leaking of the Ship.

Regards

Paulo