Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
No one has failed to grasp that the captain does bear some responsibility for this including me. What some of us have been saying is that there may be other factors involved, facts which we have not been aprised of yet. This is the purpose of an investigation. No doubt he had a hand in this, no doubt the captain has responsibilities. NO ONE has said otherwise.

So what have you really learned from this...course that was the stated purpose of so many for this posting, a teaching experience. You obviously dont need or want to investigate this any further cause you have your root cause.

Is the lesson you dont sail into a hurricane........duhhhhhhhhhh what else. Hatteras and the GS are a dangerous place....duhhhhhhhhh.
I got two different lessons:
1) Don't leave port and sail into a hurricane on a leaking wooden boat with few backup systems.
2) Don't sail with a captain that brags about sailing into hurricanes. (video interview)

Of course the investigation is critical to know all the facts BUT we do know one thing, if the captain had not chose to set sail in those known conditions, 2 lives wouldn't have been lost.
PCP likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Hey look, this is nowt but an internet forum where a bunch of people with an interest in matters maritime get together to discuss common interests. As far as I am aware the musings of us SailNetters is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on the official investigation.

Pondering that the ship may have been unsound , that the skipper showed some signs of irresponsibility and/or that the ship should not have been out in that weather are all quite valid points on a discussion board.

Some of the comments in this thread have bordered on abuse and quite simply if it continues and/or gets worse then the blue pencil is poised and ready for action. This is not PRWG so please , keep it civil.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-04-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm not going to go back over every post and link that I've already read, but I seem to recall someone (here or on another message board) claiming to have been on the boat insisting that it actually did have manual pumps at the time he was aboard. So your claimed "major deficiency" may be fictional. I...
Perhaps you should, I certainly would like to see that. I only heard about an hydraulic pump connected to the engines, a type of pump that was completely unknown to all professionals on that professional forum, but even if it existed and it worked, it would have not served any purpose the moment the engines were out of order, as they actually become.

That, of course, has nothing to do with the main pumps being "half" operational, with one generator out of order from the two that provided energy to them.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2012
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Oh my gosh.....Paulo Paulo Paulo.....One generator not operational does not mean the pumps were half operational. As I read through these posts ( I too am interested in this events ) I detect so much misinterpreted info & increasing venom. I'm sure this is going to get picked apart just seeing this thread & thinking of all the attorneys across America that would love a piece of this pie. You know....the Captain of the Titanic was sound asleep in his cabin when it hit that Iceberg, but make no mistake......he hit that iceberg. ( Just my contribution to inane & irrelevant comments on this thread ).....lol
Old 11-04-2012

robmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Perhaps you should, I certainly would like to see that. I only heard about an hydraulic pump connected to the engines, a type of pump that was completely unknown to all professionals on that professional forum, but even if it existed and it worked, it would have not served any purpose the moment the engines were out of order, as they actually become.

That, of course, has nothing to do with the main pumps being "half" operational, with one generator out of order from the two that provided energy to them.

Regards

Paulo

Here's another matter to consider: Bounty had been undergoing repairs in Boothbay and as we all know, repair of wooden ships usually results in wood shavings. Invariably these will end up in the bilge which may have caused the pumps to clog and malfunction. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 11-04-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
Oh my gosh.....Paulo Paulo Paulo.....One generator not operational does not mean the pumps were half operational. As I read through these posts ( I too am interested in this events ) I detect so much misinterpreted info & increasing venom. I'm sure this is going to get picked apart just seeing this thread & thinking of all the attorneys across America that would love a piece of this pie. You know....the Captain of the Titanic was sound asleep in his cabin when it hit that Iceberg, but make no mistake......he hit that iceberg. ( Just my contribution to inane & irrelevant comments on this thread ).....lol
Do you have seen that I have said "half" operational? This means that the system was composed by two pumps and two generators in a system that will provides back up if one of the generators or one of the pups get out of order. Well, I should said the system was half operational, not the pumps...big deal.

Evidently if you have only one generator operational you have no redundance and no back up if that generator gets out of order...and that's exactly what happened. Is this not clear to you

regards

Paulo
Old 11-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
No I did not miss that word. But using the word "apparently" implies that there are some actual facts to make something apparent. I have not seen enough actual facts to make anything "apparent." I've seen the same posts and links that you have seen, usually from anonymous, faceless sources. Very weak evidence IMO.

I'm not going to go back over every post and link that I've already read, but I seem to recall someone (here or on another message board) claiming to have been on the boat insisting that it actually did have manual pumps at the time he was aboard. So your claimed "major deficiency" may be fictional. I'm not claiming that other person is any more credible than your source, just that there are really no credible facts on this, and there's enough disagreement to negate almost all the current speculation. But enough people will read your post that a week from now someone will vaguely recall your statement and think it was an established fact.

This echoing back and forth of speculation-masquerading-as-fact is one of the dangers of the Internet, where people of differing opinions can latch onto whichever portion of the congnitive dissonance that agrees with whatever they choose to believe. It's the classic conflict between "truth" and "truthiness." Just because something seems plausible does not make it true.
The word "apparently" is often used by news media along with words like "alleged." The connotation of the word means that there is doubt, that things may or may not be true. I have not looked up the word derivation but it is likely the adverbial relative of the verb, to appear. The appearance of things is often very misleading. Check spelling on cognitive dissonance which is more a psychological term describing deep seated and persistent psychological turmoil. Sorry if this word causes you some dissonance.
Old 11-04-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Interesting ... several people who met the captain personally say that based on what they learned of him, there must be more to this story, and they will wait to learn what the Coast Guard has to say. People who never met him, DEMAND the right in this internet forum to state their opinions of unmitigated blame ... RIGHT NOW.
chef2sail and Brewgyver like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-04-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Smurphny - While you pick nits, I'll just wait for the investigation report.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-04-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Interesting ... several people who met the captain personally say that based on what they learned of him, there must be more to this story, and they will wait to learn what the Coast Guard has to say. People who never met him, DEMAND the right in this internet forum to state their opinions of unmitigated blame ... RIGHT NOW.
OK, I'll try one more time...

I'll accept that that the possibility exists that there may have been factors that compelled the master of the BOUNTY to depart New London when she did, and attempt to shoot the gap between Hatteras and the eye of a storm 800+ miles in diameter, featuring the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded north of Cape Hatteras...

Once again, can anyone here even IMAGINE, or suggest any likely scenarios/factors that would compel the skipper to take such a risk, or make such a decision appear even remotely prudent, or seamanlike?

Please, feel free to use your imaginations... (grin) I'm really curious to hear what some might feel may have justified such a departure, in such a vessel, in such circumstances...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-04-2012 at 07:56 PM.