Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Wow, what a shame. Hope they are able to recover everyone. The most recent story I can find says two may be unaccounted for.

HMS Bounty Sinks Off NC Coast, 14 People Rescued, Two Possibly Missing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

The story I just read was very confusing. In one line of the story it said that that the manifest listed 16 crew and that's what the Coast Guard has picked up, then right after that it said two could be missing.

Let's hope this is just a case of a confused reporter re-reporting second hand information. God I pray nobody was lost in this.
Old 10-29-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Here she is in better times, last May in St. Augustine.
wingNwing and Trailblazer like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Not good news from CBC:
"Two crew members of a Nova Scotia-built replica vessel are missing after abandoning ship off the coast of North Carolina in high seas brought on by Hurricane Sandy.

Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard told CBC News the 16-member crew of HMS Bounty decided to abandon ship after getting caught in 5.5-metre seas off Cape Hatteras on Monday.

All the crew members made it onto two life-rafts but only 14 people were hoisted onto helicopters, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Brendan Selerno. He said officials have not yet had the chance to debrief the 14 survivors to find out what happened to the two other crew members.

Selerno said the two missing crew members are believed to be in survival suits. He said the air search is being plotted based on wind direction and speed, and will be expanded.

HMS Bounty sank several hours after the evacuation.

The Coast Guard was originally told 17 people were on the Bounty but only 16 heat signatures were detected. They now say 16 people were on board."
Old 10-29-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
They were on passage from Canada to Florida, and they had left Canada before Sandy was even a tic on NHC's radar. They detoured WELL east of the storm track, not right off Hatteras as the article makes it appear ... but this is a BIG storm.
Ah... Well... Actually not. They abandoned ship 90 miles southeast of Hatteras. The NDBC in the vicinity (34.561 N 72.631 W) was reporting 30.5' waves and NNE winds gusting at 64 knots.

We spent some time aboard that ship awhile back and it was a disaster. Planks and frames were rotted, seams were weeping, the timbers around all of the windows in the stern castle were rotted enough that I could push a knife-blade in to the hilt, etc. When I commented on this to the kid that was the watch captain he acknowledge all of the problems but said they didn't have the money to make all of the repairs needed and so focused on the engine, generator and pumps and "..never sail in a following sea".

My daughter wanted to spend a season sailing/studying aboard but we prohibited it. (Instead she and 9 other kids spent the season sailing a 52' Beneteau from St. Martin to Trini with two teacher/instructors).

Jeeze I hope they find all of the kids. Some are missing as I write.

The following was taken during our visit aboard:
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Bounty in trouble...-mom-nibbs.jpg  
davidpm likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-29-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

You pushed a knife blade, to the hilt, into the wood on the HMS Bounty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Ah... Well... Actually not. They abandoned ship 90 miles southeast of Hatteras. The NDBC in the vicinity (34.561 N 72.631 W) was reporting 30.5' waves and NNE winds gusting at 64 knots.

We spent some time aboard that ship awhile back and it was a disaster. Planks and frames were rotted, seams were weeping, the timbers around all of the windows in the stern castle were rotted enough that I could push a knife-blade in to the hilt, etc. When I commented on this to the kid that was the watch captain he acknowledge all of the problems but said they didn't have the money to make all of the repairs needed and so focused on the engine, generator and pumps and "..never sail in a following sea".

My daughter wanted to spend a season sailing/studying aboard but we prohibited it. (Instead she and 9 other kids spent the season sailing a 52' Beneteau from St. Martin to Trini with two teacher/instructors).

Jeeze I hope they find all of the kids. Some are missing as I write.

The following was taken during our visit aboard:
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 10-29-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
You pushed a knife blade, to the hilt, into the wood on the HMS Bounty?
Yes. We were in the stern castle and the windows were open. The sill plate was exposed and severely deteriorated. I carry a swiss army knife and was able to push the larger blade all the way onto the timber with almost no effort. (My wife got all bent out of shape about my doing that.)

FWIW...
davidpm likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-29-2012

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It doesn't seem like 18' seas should have been too much for a boat of that size. Sounds like she opened up some seams and pumps couldn't keep up with it.
There's a big difference between 18 ft seas with a 15 second period and the 18 ft. seas you may find on the eastern side of the Gulf Stream (which is where they seem to be) with gale / trop storm force winds out of the north. An 18 foot wave with a really steep face (which is what happens when you have strong winds against a big current) can be a killer even in a boat this size -- first one stops forward progress, second one pushes the bow off the wind, third one and those following break over the ship. Not good.

Re. seams opening and pumps not being able to keep up....that's a reasonalbe guess. Big waves pushing an older wooden boat around will probably put some nasty forces on the hull / rig.

As for being in the wrong place at the wrong time....if he left Canada before the storm developed, the skipper would have faced some difficult choices. Remember that when the storm was over Jamacia half or more of the models forecast it to go NE into the Atlantic. It was only as the storm moved north that they shifted the track to the west and eventually decided it would take the left turn. If you're south of the Gulf Stream on the longitude of, say, Cape Cod, and facing a tropical storm moving north over the Bahamas, where 1/2 of the models say it's going east and half west, what do you do? Not an easy decision, eh?

Last edited by billyruffn; 10-29-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2012

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Oops, correction, they had already left Canada, they were in New London, CT a few days ago. That totally made sense, then, given Sandy's predicted impacts in NY and New England, that they'd be safer at sea than in port. They ssailed out due east to get well clear of the storm before continuing south. The Navy sent all their vessels out from Norfolk in advance of the storm for the same reason - sometimes you're safer away from the dock!
....in New London as recently as last Thursday.

see The Day - USS Mississippi on the Bounty | News from southeastern Connecticut

I think I'd have looked for a good anchorage in the upper reaches of Narragansett Bay....and put trust in the ground tackle. Going to sea in a naval ship, cruise ship, or merchant ship to avoid a storm is one thing, heading offshore in an old wooden boat (with rot problems as reported above) is something different.

Looks like he was trying to get by Hatteras reaching away from the storm center -- which is what you should do -- when he ran out of time and sea room. The Gulf Stream can as much of a threat in a storm as the shore line is.

Sad story.
Old 10-29-2012

turban10 is on a distinguished road

How sad for those two missing. I hope they are found. I can't imagine bobing up and down in such seas wondering if you are going to be rescued.

Replica or not, the HMS Bounty was a amazing looking ship. It is a real shame to lose something so beautiful.